Best excursion for a scaredy cat!!!

OK here's the deal. Every cruise we have ever been on all I want to do is find the nearest bar to the pier and people watch. This year I promised DW that I will venture out and do an excursion or two. The scaredy cat comes from being in water. I like being on the surface but I am very intimidated by the thought of going under it. She wants to snorkel and I want to keep my promise, but not real sure I will be able too, as this really terrifies me. We are going to Key West, Cozumel, and Belize City. Are there any other things that are water related that may be easier on my nerves? I want her to be happy, but I want to be happy too. Are there any land excursions that may keep her just as content?

OK here's the deal. Every cruise we have ever been on all I want to do is find the nearest bar to the pier and people watch. This year I promised DW that I will venture out and do an excursion or two. The scaredy cat comes from being in water. I like being on the surface but I am very intimidated by the thought of going under it. She wants to snorkel and I want to keep my promise, but not real sure I will be able too, as this really terrifies me. We are going to Key West, Cozumel, and Belize City. Are there any other things that are water related that may be easier on my nerves? I want her to be happy, but I want to be happy too. Are there any land excursions that may keep her just as content?

My vote would be a Dolphin Swim in Cozumel as a water excursion. The Royal Swim is fantastic and you wear life vest, and do not go under the water. Book on your own as it's much cheaper than cruise line. Key West, I would check our Mel's Maritime Museum, maybe the conch train tour, followed by a drink at the Hogs Breath. There really isn't much good snorkeling in Key West.

Have never been to Belize, so can't help with that one. Good luck to you.

Exactly--let her do what will make her happy, and you do what makes YOU happy! There's no reason to make one or the other miserable on vacation, just because you "have" to be together!

Let her take a 'water excursion" and you can either go and not participate, or stay on the ship and people watch or take a land excursion for you--you have plenty of "together" time when you're not on an excursion! I, too, hate to snorkle (the only fish I want to see should be on my plate!!!) and if hubby was set on a snorkle thing, he could go--I wouldn't mind! I'd rather be on a beach than in the water!

We did a snorkel excursion in Cozumel. DH snorkled and I bellied up to the bar. The free drinks started after you were through being in the water and since I wasn't going in, I got a head start on everybody. ;)

So she can have a snorkel excursion and you can have a drinking/people-watching excursion all in one package! :D

Exactly--let her do what will make her happy, and you do what makes YOU happy! There's no reason to make one or the other miserable on vacation, just because you "have" to be together!

Let her take a 'water excursion" and you can either go and not participate, or stay on the ship and people watch or take a land excursion for you--you have plenty of "together" time when you're not on an excursion!

So true. There is nothing in the cruise contract that requires you both to take the same excursions.

The old Henry Higgens song from My Fair Lady comes to mind ......

Make a plan and you will find,

she has something else in mind,

And so rather than do either

you do something else that neither likes at all.

Much better instead to do whatever you each enjoy most, and then later have a great dinner conversation together telling each other about your day's adventures.

In Cozumel go to the Playa Uvas beach club...DW can snorkel and you can sit on one of the comfy beach chairs and sip some drinks...they only charge based on what you want to do, so you won't have to pay for activities you are only watching. You can google them to get their website and make a reservation.

Have fun!

my BF and i did the mexican cooking class in cozumel, and it was a blast... you get to make a tasty lunch, the chefs are funny as hell, and all the drinks are free. it's held at playa mia, which is a great beach, so anyone you travel with can do other excursions there... then you can meet up with them when you have your free time after the class to bask in the sun. :)

In Key West we went to the Mel Fischer museum and then just strolled along the main street and had something to eat. There is a trolley tour available there that takes you around to see the sites.

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach and it was very nice. Various water activities, bar and waiters that will bring you food on the beach. There are many other recommended beaches in Cozumel and someone just recommended a fun 'Mexican cooking' thing so check the Ports of Call boards.

In Belize you must do an organized excursion because it is not really 'walkable'; it is fairly rural outside the town. We did cave-tubing, but I would not recommend it for you as it is dark and can get a bit crowded and chaotic. They do have a couple of beach excursions there, so check the Ports of Call boards for recommendations.

Remember that if you do any type of snorkel/catamaran tour at any port, you do not have to get off the boat to snorkel: you can just remain onboard while she gets into the water. It would still be a very pleasant trip for you, even if you don't like to swim.

ps hey there is the Mexican cooking lady above my post ;)

In Belize, which is supposed to have wonderful snorkelling, there is an excursion through Coral Breeze tours that has a non-snorkelling tag along excursion. So while your other half snorkels you could either hang out in the boat and watch, or stay on the little island [Caye Caulker] that they stop at. Check out their website for more info. While I haven't used them personally, I have read plenty of good reviews about them on these boards [ports of call]. We will be there next week and have considered booking with them but will probaly choose another activity on that day.

I would buy a snorkel at a sporting goods store (not expensive) and practice in my bathtub. You're missing out on something great by being afraid to put your face in the water. When you snorkel, you're on top of the water...you don't have to go UNDER...just your face. But you breathe normally like if you have a straw in your mouth. Pracitce at home because once you try it, you'll looooove it!!!!!!!

When you go to Cozumel take the Dune Buggy excursion there is alittle of everything some driving (standards) some snorkeling and some drinking. We have used ShoreTrips and have had a great time. I am sure the one from the ship is about the same (maybe not the drinking) Our buggies had coolers in the rear filled with soda, beer and water. That way you get to see the island also.

I'm coming at this from a different angle. I do not mean to offend.

My concern is that you maybe don't know how to swim. Nothing to be ashamed of, many adults don't. I would suggest you find a good instructor for private lessons and get used to being under water in a controlled environment. I believe everyone should know how to swim well enuf to save themselves. Still, life jacket should be worn when on small craft.

My husband is not a water person, while I swam competitively for a dozen years. I go snorkel, and he tries. where the water is calm, he can do it and enjoy it. Heavy surf, he'll try a bit, then go sit on the beach.

What I'm thinking is that if you try to learn how to swim, get used to being in water, understand the power your body has in the water, then you can don fins, mask and snorkel in the safe pool where you can just Stand Up when you get scared. That's how dh got used to it.

Snorkelling doesn't take a lot of physical effort, and if you are used to the feel of your body in the water and breathing thru the snorkel and all that, you could really enjoy it. so much you will never see from above!

If this is just out of the question, then, definitely look into the suggestions of the other posters regarding tours where you can stay on the boat. But fear of water will not go away on its own. You have the ability to overpower that fear and put it behind you.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise!

Why not try river tubing. You stay above the water in the tube, plus I don't think the river is going to be that deep that you would go under.

Archived