Hello from the Volendam

Sue's Mom

Currently just docked in Tortola. The weather has been excellent so far.

Volendam is still a nice ship IMHO. All the negatives that I had read don't seem to be there - no smell for instance. I suppose it could be a little cooler but it is not unsatisfactory. HMC is great and the clamshells were useful. We were there at the same time as the Oosterdam so it was a little busy but not unduly so.

Internet connection is a little slow, even though it is broadband.

We were all upgraded to an outside cabin (three couples) and that was a lovely surprise. Yesterday was my birthday and our friends had had great fund in decorating the cabin door with banners and balloons. Our cabin steward produced some flowers for me.

All in all, most satisfactory so far.

Sue's Mom, so glad you are enjoying the Volendam, we sure did when we sailed her. I had heard lots of negatives on that ship as well before we sailed her, they were, like yours, all unfounded.

Keep the Volendam in good shape as I sail her March 20th. Enjoy.

Thanks for posting while aboard. It's always fun to read messages from CC'ers who are cruising. Sounds like you are enjoying and having a good time.

Happy Birthday ....a little belated.

Have a great time.

Glad to hear you are having a good time! We can't wait til we sail in March either!

doone- it's really coming quickly, isn't it? I don't think I'm going to put away some of my cruise clothes, just pick them up from the dry claener, keep them in the guest room closet - because before you know, we'll be packing again!

I read on these boards some negative things on the Volendam during my cruise which was two cruises back. I was on the same ship and was not even aware of "the troubles." My only complaint was about some of the lousy weather we encountered and that wasn't HAL's fault. I would go on the Volendam any time. By the way I hope you stop in the Explorer's lounge and hear the Rosario Strings.

Best wishes for good weather in Dominica and Barbados.

Himself

Thecabins could be a little cooler. We sleep in our birthday suits and only have a sheet covering our modesty! I have spoken to another passenger who said she was cold but her aircon did not differ whatever the setting.

The only area of the ship which causes a problem to me (but not to my companions) is the dining room. We are at the 8pm seating on table 34, which is the furthest back in the dining room as one can possibly get. It gets noticeably cooler as one approaches the part where one can see the lower dining room.

There are a few people doing b2b cruises - I gather there was a special promotion - and have done the same itinerary twice. Just as well really, as the first time around I understand the weather was not at all good.

Today we have seen flying fish, which was a novelty, and I understand that dolphins have been sighted.

The food, as ever, is plentiful and tasty. The staff are still friendly and smiling. Our cabin steward has been with HAL for eleven years and considers the ship to be his home. We are going to tip the cabin steward, the wine waiter, and the guy who brings our water and coffee as well as leaving the automatic tip in place, as each one has been really helpful. Especially over the gift wine, the red of which we were not too keen on - too full-bodied for our taste. After a couple of nights, we were given a choice of another two reds and a different white. So all in all, most satisfactory. We have been giving out small tips to the wine waiter too.

The beds are comfortable - two three-foot sized mattresses put together to make a huge (for the UK) double bed. Towelling robes hang in the room. Towels still changed and bathrooms cleaned twice a day.

I am missing our little grandson and hope he hasn't forgotten us!

Thank you for your birthday wishes.

Any questions I will try and answer tomorrow when we have another sea day.

Oh, I nearly forgot. At St Thomas we were not required to return to the ship any earlier than the usual 30 mins prior to sailing. However, there was a written warning not to walk around on your own at night, etc. etc. Just the usual precautions one would sensibly take anyway.

Thanks for your posts on board!!

We are booked on her for June 2005 to Alaska and we can't wait.

Is there anything else we should request or look out for??

Also, do you know if Volendam is scheduled for drydock in early 2005??

I heard they will be making upgrades to their fleet and I'm wondering if this has been done yet to Volendam.

Archived