What kind of entertainment can I expect at night?

stipmom

yes and yes

but obviously the stage, number of performers and theatre are all smaller due to ship size

the usual type entertainment

we enjoy most of it

hava great cruise

There is a showroom, but it's more like a lounge on a larger cruise ship. As a result they have no big production shows. On Journey we had a series of entertainers that ranged from excellent to should have retired 20 years earlier - singer/dancers (mostly singers), piano, harp, violin, magician, etc. I didn't attend very many of the shows but did enjoy what I saw.

There is a showroom, but it's more like a lounge on a larger cruise ship. As a result they have no big production shows. On Journey we had a series of entertainers that ranged from excellent to should have retired 20 years earlier - singer/dancers (mostly singers), piano, harp, violin, magician, etc. I didn't attend very many of the shows but did enjoy what I saw.

I do the same thing critterchick..I like to pick and choose, the one thing I did like was the 2 shows in the eing as we like to eat later!!

Jancruz1

We just got off the Journey (March 20) and the 5 singers joined the ship for their first cruise. Thid 3 shows during our 12 night Carnibbean cruise:

Sing It and Swing It

Twisted TV

That's Hollywood

These shows having been in production for at least a year so I'd seen the all a couple of times before this cruise. The group of singers where still getting to know each other.......the orchestra on board the Journey was one of the best I've seen on any ship. The pianist in the Cova Cafe was excellent (can't remember his name) and on our cruise several passengers also performed and did a great job including an older gentleman. The Cruise Director also did a show one night and did a nice job. Also on board our cruise was the Cruise Director's wife (from England) and get sang several times during the 12 night cruise....she was excellent.

There was a Spanish Guitar player who performed during dinner in Breeza (Deck 9) in the evening. He was outside on the back of the ship and this was very nice, as well.

Ivory Coast Trio performed all around the ship during this cruise and added alot to the muscial entertainment.

The harpist was Jacqueline Dolan and she was also very entertaining.

Our recent experience on the Azamara Quest (returned a week ago) is pretty much identical to what Eddiebama has posted for his experience on the Journey.

I actually liked the intimacy of the cabaret lounge on the Quest (moveable seats around tables) in preference to the fixed theatre style seating that you get on the larger ships.:)

Entertainment was hit or miss. The Cabaret theatre hosts most of the evening’s entertainment with 3 production shows per cruise. These shows are quasi-musicals…some people like them, others don’t. I found them to be poorly written and a bit out of date, though well performed. These 3 shows are probably some of the best entertainment onboard. The guest acts they bought onboard were washed up singers and sad magicians/ comedians. The cruise director and one activities staff member did their own shows, to which my previous statement applies. Hey, there’s a reason these folks are performing on cruise ships instead of NY or Vegas.

Outside of the Cabaret, you can find the solo acts throughout the ship including a charming pianist who is one of the nicest guys you’ll meet… nice enough that I cant mention his music. Then there is a harpist who managed to turn one of the most angelic instruments into something that’s blasphemous to the ears.

Fortunately, the solo guitarist was great, singing many classic and modern pop standards and the trio offered great late night entertainment in the Looking Glass. The highlight was actually the Orchestra. They were featured by themselves two nights during the cruise. One was a Glenn Miller tribute and the other was a jazz night. Both performances were incredibly gratifying and almost made up for the lack of quality entertainment aboard the ship…almost.

We just got off the Journey (March 20) and the 5 singers joined the ship for their first cruise. Thid 3 shows during our 12 night Carnibbean cruise:

Sing It and Swing It

Twisted TV

That's Hollywood

These shows having been in production for at least a year so I'd seen the all a couple of times before this cruise. The group of singers where still getting to know each other.......the orchestra on board the Journey was one of the best I've seen on any ship. The pianist in the Cova Cafe was excellent (can't remember his name) and on our cruise several passengers also performed and did a great job including an older gentleman. The Cruise Director also did a show one night and did a nice job. Also on board our cruise was the Cruise Director's wife (from England) and get sang several times during the 12 night cruise....she was excellent.

There was a Spanish Guitar player who performed during dinner in Breeza (Deck 9) in the evening. He was outside on the back of the ship and this was very nice, as well.

Ivory Coast Trio performed all around the ship during this cruise and added alot to the muscial entertainment.

The harpist was Jacqueline Dolan and she was also very entertaining.

Ditto...and well put! We are missing the Journey...how about you all? LuAnn

Seems as if the quality of entertainment may vary according to the cruise you happen to be on. Elsewhere, I have reviewed things as we experienced them on a Quest cruise in Asia during January. On that occasion, the CD was really a very talented singer in his own right, the guest artists (singers, pianists, comedian) were very good to excellent and certainly not 'past it.' The harpist was good, as was Jim Badger in the Mosaic lounge, although the guitarist who played at various venues was mediocre (but, a thankless task playing to people who are more intent on eating and/or talking than listening to his music!!). The young singers who did the 'production' shows were enthusiastic, although I can't say that we particularly enjoyed the themes. Other than the production shows, the entertainment we experienced on this cruise was just as good as we have found on numerous Celebrity and other cruises. Maybe we were lucky, maybe not.

Nevernever

Hi LuAnn...yes, we do miss Journey...but, we now have Quest to look forward to....we're doing a 14 night Europe Black Sea cruise that departs Civitavecchia on July 12 and ends in Athens....we can't wait.......

Eddie and Joe in Fort Lauderdale

Hi LuAnn...yes, we do miss Journey...but, we now have Quest to look forward to....we're doing a 14 night Europe Black Sea cruise that departs Civitavecchia on July 12 and ends in Athens....we can't wait.......

Eddie and Joe in Fort Lauderdale

Be sure you let us know all about it!! LuAnn

Archived