Grits??? Someone please answer!

ncbeachteacher

My daughter keeps asking...Does Princess, the Coral Princess to be exact, serve grits in the morning on their buffets or in their dining rooms? It is a big deal for her as they are her favorite breakfast food. We haven't sailed on Princess before, so we don't know. Thanks.:)

I don't recall seeing grits offered. DH thinks he remembers biscuits and gravy one morning at breakfast.

I'm sure she'll be able to find something she likes at the breakfast buffet.

Who knows - maybe she'll find a new favorite! :D

Enjoy your cruise.

My daughter keeps asking...Does Princess, the Coral Princess to be exact, serve grits in the morning on their buffets or in their dining rooms? It is a big deal for her as they are her favorite breakfast food. We haven't sailed on Princess before, so we don't know. Thanks.:)

Grits were served as well as biscuits with gravy on the Diamond last summer.

I have seen grits on all the Princess ships I have been on but not daily. :(

That is very true. I forgot to mention that it wasn't available everyday. Perhaps if you asked for it on those days they might be able to provide your daughter with a bowl.

If your daughter will eat instant grits, bring along some packs and make your own. I have not been on a Princess ship, but I am sure they will have hot water.

JimmyJames

Thanks so much for the quick responses. She has asked repeatedly and this at least answers her question and gives her some ideas. She is still a very picky eater at 21! And you know us southerners... we love our grits! Thanks so much!

Just of the Caribbean Princess Feb 8 -15th. Grits were served in the buffet line every morning for breakfast. As a southerner, I have to say, they were cooked just as they should be and didn't appear to be instant. They were served on the steam table where soups, oatmeal, etc. were served. Hope this helps! Also, they were served most mornings on the crown princess last April.:D

If the grits are not in the buffet line, ask and they will go to the kitchen and get you some.

I sure wish that I had known this. We have cruised on Princess 5 times and have never seen grits, just cream of wheat. It might look the same but it doesn't taste the same. :p We try to eat breakfast in the dining room so I would think that you could order them even if they aren't on the menu. I am also a GRITS (Girl Raised in the South) and I love my grits.

We had grits on the buffet practically every morning on our 12/9 Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise. The head waiters who are present everywhere at the buffet will entertain most requests for items that aren't available. For example, they didn't have lox on the buffet line (only at the sit-down breakfast). I asked one of the head waiters, and voila - I had a plate of lox in about 3 minutes. So don't be afraid to ask.

As a GRIT myself -it just is not a vacation breakfast if I can't have grits to eat. Mine is a mixed marriage-He is a Yankee that will not touch grits or Okra!:D

I have found them on several Princess ships without much trouble.

BTW-Did you see the Martha Stewart recipe for Shrimp and Grits? Simply divine darling:D

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/slow-cooked-louisiana-shrimp-and-grits?video_id=0&autonomy_kw=grits

Sorry - but what are grits?

Grits are ground corn. They are cooked in salted water until creamy and are served with breakfast (usually). It is a Southern (US) dish and whether you like them or not sort of defines whether you are a true Southerner. :)

So is a bit like porridge oats?

Sort of, in that both are breakfast foods made from grain. Grits are unique. I put salt and butter on them and not sugar like I would put on oatmeal. They still have a somewhat grainy texture when cooked, where cream of wheat is just smooth. However, grits look like cream of wheat. Next time you are on Princess ask for them and see what you think. :)

Not just a breakfast food.

Here in Charelston, SC they are served for dinner in many high-end resturants as Shrimp and Grits, or with fresh fish.

I agree. Grits make a great side dish with ham or any smoked meat and with seafood. Of course, I like them almost any way that you fix them. :)

Archived