Dinner-does it have to be with strangers?

olive1998

Hi everyone! I'm going on my first cruise /Carnival Valor,Western Caribbean in July with my husband and 11 y old son.

I have a question about the dinner arrangements. Do they have tables for three or do you always have to sit in a larger group with perfect strangers? I'm not at all into making conversation with people I don't know. I'd much rather stick to the company of my own family and get to know other people when/if I wish to do so, not because I'm forced to sit next to them at dinner.

I know this may sound strange to many of you who are "naturally sociable", but I'm not built that way and a forced "did you have a nice day today"-type of conversation at dinner makes me feel extremely uncomfortable.

Don't worry so about it'! Once you introduce yourselves, you'll no longer be "strangers"! You already have cruising in common....Start by asking about their cruising history--if you listen, they'll do the talking!!!! (and they'lll LOVE you for listening!!!)

You can request a table by yourselves, but you're going to notice that the larger table have alot more fun!!!

Thanks for the quick answer!

So they actually have tables for 3???

It may sound weird to you but getting to know people just because I have to just isn't my thing. I feel very uncomfortable with forced conversations,broad smiles and listening to others go "fantastic" and "awesome" all the time - it all seels so artificial to me. I want to enjoy my meal in the company of my own family and I'm not actually interested in listening to other peoples' travel stories - not at least while I'm enjoying my meal.

Sorry if this sounds terrible, but this is the one thing I worry will spoil the cruise for me. :confused:

I have not sailed Carnival, but don't they have any kind of Personal choice or anytime dining? on NCL freestyle dining means you not only come whenever you want but also sit with whom you want if they is just your party fine.

If they don't offer that request the smallest table size an you would likely be seated alone if there are 3 of you. You can also speak to the Matre 'd once you are on board.

When you arrive on the ship you will receive information about the days activities and when and where to meet with the head waiter to change seating arrangements. Speak to him/her that you would like a table just for your family.

I am like you. I hope I can get a table for just my family. We are taking family vacation and have no interest in making friends. This is a time set aside to spend with my husband and daughter, to just enjoy their company. I don't think you are strange.

I also have the same concern. I'll be travelling with my wife and wants to spend the cruise as our romantic time together, especially on this first cruise. Besides, I'll enjoy the food better if I "concentrate" on it, lol!

I hope they'll seat the two of us, I don't think there are seats just for just two people, am I right??

You can request a private table, but for the life of me, I can't imagine going on a cruise and not being able to have the pleasure of meeting new and interesting people. And yes, you can get a table for 2. As for Carnival and anytime dining, they have announced that they will be offering that option fleetwide in the coming months. Check their website or the Carnival board for the conversion schedule on their ships.

We are like you - 3, and do not like to be seated with strangers. We have never had trouble getting a table for just the 3 of us - on occasion when we've had fixed seating, we've been assigned a shared table, but had a word with the Maître d' and were switched. Other times had open seating, and always had a table to ourselves. Usually you're placed at a table for 4 and the other place stays empty, but occasionally been seated at larger tables in open seating where they simply remove the other place settings and you have the table to yourself.

wow the best part of a cruise vacation is meeting other crusiers and sharing experiences other wise just fly to the place and do your own thing so you dont have to talk to anyone but your traveling partner.I have found that cruisers are very friendly and I enjoy everyones company and everone has great stories its alot oif fun to meet new people.

You can request a private table, but for the life of me, I can't imagine going on a cruise and not being able to have the pleasure of meeting new and interesting people. And yes, you can get a table for 2. As for Carnival and anytime dining, they have announced that they will be offering that option fleetwide in the coming months. Check their website or the Carnival board for the conversion schedule on their ships.

I for the life of me cannot imagine cruising where I had to meet people. It takes all kinds and not all of us want to socialize. I have no problem with people who do want to or who find cruising good for that.

There is nothing wrong with either train of thought and neither should have to appologise or be made to feel odd for it.

Bet that 11 year old will want to bow outta dinner.

Dinner for our family was mandatory--set that up ahead of time for him.

Let your agent know NOW that you want a small table. (it will be a table for 4 or a booth)

Then when you get onboard--you find the dining room before you do anything else. Look for your table # (which will be listed on your sign and sail card)

If its a large table- find what time the Matre d will be taking "orders" and be there ASAP to request a change.

(taking early dinner will be good for your son- most activities are happening between 8-10pm

I am like you. I hope I can get a table for just my family. We are taking family vacation and have no interest in making friends. This is a time set aside to spend with my husband and daughter, to just enjoy their company. I don't think you are strange.

Nor do I. I go on vacation to spend time with my husband and/or our family, not to make new friends at dinner or with the crew.

I don't find either side of this issue strange, it's just a personal choice.

I for the life of me cannot imagine cruising where I had to meet people. It takes all kinds and not all of us want to socialize. I have no problem with people who do want to or who find cruising good for that.

There is nothing wrong with either train of thought and neither should have to appologise or be made to feel odd for it.

My comment made you feel odd? That's certainly odd.

I think a lot will depend on the cruiseline too. You might want to ask your question on the Carnival board regarding thier table set ups. I haven't done Carnival to answer your direct question. But.....

My dh and I want our dinners at a table for two. We can visit with people at lunch, at the pool, in excusrion vans etc. Our dinners are always our date nights and we are not willing to change that. We enjoy each other's company and don't want to sift thru our topics of discussion to fit a group.

Everyone to their own vacation. OP, definitely you are not the only one that wants quality family time, not company/ small talk time every night. There's no right or wrong to either choice.

I agree with those who do not wish to socialize with strangers on their cruise. My husband and I prefer "a table for two" for our meals. Not everyone is a social butterfly!

Us too. Small talk is not for me.

Last time we were at a large table with a mom, son, and daughter, me, my husband and daughter. The other family was from a different country and spoke very little english. A very awkward meal each night. Just nod and smile. LOL Even the kids had a hard time communicating.

Now, it will be just my husband and I. We rarely see each other during the week and only have dinner together at the most once a week, so we look forward to having just "us time" at dinner. We will finally get to sit down and talk about whatever we want over dinner.

Every one has their own personality and what they like and don't like. Nothing wrong with personal choices.

I'm shy and don't like to meet strangers and I'm not a good "small-talk" person in the least.

Still, I absolutely LOVE traditional dining and I always request a large table. I travel with my daughter (now an adult), so there's absolutely no need to want to sit alone.

Meeting our fellow tablemates forces me to make small talk, but no one forces you to become "friends" with your tablemates.

Having to come out of my shell is actually a good experience, not something to dread. Acquiring the ability to make small talk is also a useful tool.

I sure hope I'm not seated with some of you folks, though!

It's a vacation. Relax and be friendly. If you're going to be so reclusive and standoffish, I bet your tablemates won't have any more interest in talking to you than you do to them.

Sheesh. There are a couple of thousand people in a relatively small area for several days. Would it really hurt some of you to just try to relax and even try behaving in a way that you don't always behave? You know, try something new and different.

Like being pleasant to strangers?

Sheesh. There are a couple of thousand people in a relatively small area for several days. Would it really hurt some of you to just try to relax and even try behaving in a way that you don't always behave? You know, try something new and different. Like being pleasant to strangers?

Maybe it's just me, but that sounds a bit harsh. I am a VERY outgoing, socialable person, but am not thrilled with the idea of committing to sit at a table for the whole cruise with people I don't know and may have to force conversation with. Not my idea of a relaxing and pleasant dinner experience. We are planning on opting for RCCL's MTD for dinners, and are already planning on doing some breakfasts and lunches in the MDR to meet others. Implying that the OP & others "try something different" "Like be pleasant to strangers", seems pretty rude and judgementmental. You don't know these posters, do you?:confused:

Sheesh. There are a couple of thousand people in a relatively small area for several days. Would it really hurt some of you to just try to relax and even try behaving in a way that you don't always behave? You know, try something new and different.

Like being pleasant to strangers?

My bf and I always choose to eat a deux, but we still end up meeting plenty of people. It is our chance to be away with each other, and we like the alone time. We're hardly rude to strangers.

It's your vacation. If you want to eat by yourselves, you paid a lot of money to have that choice, so ask for your own table and enjoy. There are so many opportunities on a cruise to meet new people--the dining room is not the only place. Besides, there will be plenty of people around you if you want to meet them. That's the great thing about cruising--you can do whatever you want. Have a wonderful time!

The major negative about main dinning room is the table arrangement. I was hoping on the last cruise that we could have a table of 4 (my wife, and her parents). We were put at a table of 8.

Turned out that it was a good arrangement and because we had a table of 8, we had a good location in the restaurant.

Having said that, I am not a big fan of sitting with others. I agree, I would prefer to be with my family at dinner. I know them, I know how to talk to them, and I don't have to think about what to say with them (well, within reason).

Archived