Ncl gem europe ports questions

vacationfool

Could anyone tell me about the ports in Rome, Malta, Barcelona, and Cannes? Are any tendered ? Any suggestions / likes or dislikes for shore excursions? I would appreciate any responses. Also what shall we expect in June for weather ?

Rome, Malta and Barcelona are all docked, not tendered. Don't know about Cannes, but Villefranche is tendered.

Excursions? Rome? Anything you want! It's Rome! Barcelona's about the same. Malta is more limited--it's a small island, but interesting.

You might want to read through not only the reviews in the review section, but scroll down at postings over the past week or two. Some great mini reviews of folks just back from Med cruises. And, in many cases shortly after they post reviews, some tend to fade away from Cruise Critic, so you will not be hearing from them.

By the way, Rome may be tied up to pier, but it is a good 90 minutes from the city. see more on the PORTS OF CALL and ROLL CALLS message boards.

I was on this cruise last September. It was great! The sail into Malta is the best part of the island. We took the Jeep Safari excursion. The only part I enjoyed was Mdina. If I had it to do over again I would have just gone there. Naples, Rome and Florence used RomeInLimo and customized our tours with them. They were wonderful, saw everything we wanted. In Villefranche (the only tendered port) we just walked around the town. It's very picturesque and small enough to see it all.

Whatever you decide to do you will have a terrific time, have fun!!

In Valetta, Malta, simply walk from the port, up the cliff and you will be in the stunning city itself. There are squares with cafes selling the local wine at around e1.50, wonderful shops and every kind of ancient building from cathedrals to castles. The people are friendly and English is their second language, so you can ask anywhere for directions or even where to buy a packet of M&Ms! It's long been a favourite destination for Brits and Irish holiday makers, so just walk and enjoy!-jocap.

When in Rome...

We high tailed it to the train as soon as we got off the ship. 6 of us - 2 adults and 4 children (2-13) took the train, local bus, did lots of walking and we saw: everything!

My parents paid for an excursion and only saw a fraction of what we did.

We were some of the first folk into the Vatican, we took our time inside, found a pizza vendor and had a slice, walked over to the Sistine Chapel, took a bus to the Coloseum, walked to Trevis fountain & the Spanish steps and still got back on the ship with time to spare.

Malta - just walk up and check it out. The Blue Grotto is pretty but BORING and a waste of time - we took the bus there. Should have done Mdina instead - mom & pop did,they enjoyed it.

Barcelona, well we spent a week there after the cruise...see La Ramblas, take the HOHO buses - they are amazing, you can see everything. The Sacred Family is pretty cool,St Jospeh market if it's open. THe museums...Barcelona FC if you are soccer fans, Olympic stadium, the aquarium was lots of fun - we went twice. The zoo - it's just a zoo, like anywhere else. The food it too expensive and do stop to watch the stret preformances, that's when the pick pockets get ya

We were there in November and the weather then was cool and pleasant. I imagine June will be warmer. You can check each city out for average temperatures on weather.com.

We had a group of 16 from our roll call and used RomeInLimo.com at each port. Our excursions were fantastic and we made the most of our time in each location. Our driver customized with what we wanted to see.

Be prepared to have the trip of a lifetime. NCL Gem was the best vacation I have ever had.

I agree completely with the above posters about Rome In Limo. We used tham back in October and can't wait to get back again. Get on the roll call thread for your cruise and if you don't have a full car, join up with other people on your cruise to save a few dollars. You will have the trip of a lifetime.

Fast and to the point.......Italy is HOT in the summer months so bring lots

of water....In Rome the Train to the city is faster than the hour and a half drive.....Have fun, Its a trip of a lifetime!!!!

Fast and to the point.......Italy is HOT in the summer months so bring lots

of water....In Rome the Train to the city is faster than the hour and a half drive.....Have fun, Its a trip of a lifetime!!!!

Regarding the trains from Civit. to Rome, be aware that there are regular (about 75 minutes) and express (about 45 minutes) runs. The express are only a few euros more (in 2006 the cost was about 13 Euros return rather than 9 for the basic BIRG fare). Either fare covers buses and subways for the day as well as the return train to Civit.

However, the express trains don't stop at Roma San Pietro STN (St. Peters) and go instead all the way to Roma Termini. So if the Vatican is on your list of sites for the morning, then take the slower train. We didn't realize this at the time and were forced to reverse our itinerary (starting at the Colliseum and ending at St. Peters rather than vice versa). In the end it worked out well because we walked down the Spanish Steps instead of up....

P>

As far as the Vatican, I wouldn't plan on going there in the morning. That's when the biggest crowds are there. Afternoons it thins out some. We got there around 1 PM and went thru pretty good. Another advantage to taking a limo tour instead of the train is what you learn on the way to Rome. About the countryside, the farming they do and how beautiful it really is.

Remember that in Rome you dock in a commercial port which isn't at all attractive and you have to get a shuttle (free) out of the port. It isn't far to the Train Station. Of course, a limo or taxi is more convenient - just depends on your budget.

As regards Malta - I just answered a similar question

The entry into the Grand Harbour of Malta is spectacular as you are surrounded by bastions and fortified cities.

You will dock at the Valletta Waterfront - http://www.vallettawaterfront.com -

Just as you exit you will find a bus stop that takes you up to Valletta. It is walkable but uphill. A taxi isn't expensive. Many people take a taxi which you prebook (just a few minutes) and walk down. There are taxi's just outside the City Gate. Make sure you go to the Barakka Gardens overlooking the harbour, you'll see your ship. Also St John's Co-Cathedral. You can relax in one of the many cafes.

Have a look at - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._of_Malta.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=964968

Archived