Weight gain on a cruise?How much or how little?

BoPippy

How much weight have you gained or lost on a cruise?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. How much weight have you gained or lost on a cruise?

• lost
    • 0 to 5
    • 5 to 10
    • 10 or more

10 days until our cruise and i have lost 45 pounds.All i hear from myDW is u r going to eat too much,u r going to drink too much and put your weight back on!!I am going to eat a little too much and drink a little too much,but be more thoughtful in my choices and i probably will gain about 10 pounds in 2 weeks on a ship.and when i get home just keep on losing.

Funny part about this is she gained and lost proportinately the exact same amount of weight as i,but it is NOT a problem for her,even if i say it could be!!HaHa:confused: Women,can't live with them,can't live without them.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

You don't have to gain weight on a cruise. I try to show some restraint. I never take the elevators and I walk a lot both on the ship and in ports. Usually Iabout break even.

A few years ago, I joined Weight Watchers and lost 20 pounds prior to my cruise that year. I consistently gain about 5-6 back while cruising and a few more shortly after returning home. (Bad habits I gain on the cruise, mostly involving portion control!)

So I typically have 10 pounds to lose prior to every cruise, which I start working on about six months prior to embarkation. I want to enjoy my cruise and not have to count points, so I accept that I will gain back, in one week, half of what I spent six months losing.

I've gained as much as 2 lbs. on a 7 night cruise, which was lost within a week, so I think it was water weight.

Last October we went on a 13 night cruise, with a few more pre and post days in Italy with no weight gain at all. I think the secret is to keep active, we walked and walked and walked. We used the stairs, not just on the ship but all over Italy and Croatia.

After the first few nights, we grew weary of rich foods, heavy desserts and the too-full feeling it gives you. We ended up ordering grilled fish, more salads, kept our hands out of the bread basket and stayed away from the buffet. We try to stick with our normal breakfast of fruit and cottage cheese with a spoonful of yogurt. Lunch, the same thing, I typically will order a sandwich (if in the dining room) and take off one slice of bread or a large salad with grilled chicken, no dressing or just a bit on the side.

On shore we didn't limit ourselves and enjoyed the local fare. With lots of wine!

Just be aware of what you're eating, just one bite of a rich dessert is fine, don't throw caution to the wind every time you sit down to eat and most importantly....keep moving :) A few laps up on deck after dinner is one of our favorite things to do. Hardly anyone is out there at night, the sky and the ocean are so beautiful at night. Or, get out on the dance floor a few times and kick up your heels, that will burn off some of those dinner calories!

Big secret to keep your weight down will on a cruise. we have been on many, many, many cruises and have never , i mean never, been in a cruise ship elevator. always use the stairs. no matter how many flights. this stairs exercise greatly helps keep the extra pounds off...

Tell wifey to loose the attitude and try being supportive!! Has she never heard of self fulfilling prophecies?

Just make some rules for yourself before you go ie 1) only 1 dessert per day. 2) careful with the alcohol, FULL of empty calories 3) walk as much as possible, check out the exercise room, swim in the pool 4) a cup of warm beverage (hot tea, broth,etc) about 15 min before eating will help you to feel more full and eat less. Just make sure it is not something with lots of calories (cappuchino, hot choc.)

If you can get her on board (so to speak :)) you will do ALOT better if she makes comments that are positive ie You are doing a great job with maintaining your weight loss! I am proud of your portion control. Any type of positive comment like that will help keep you on track.

The negative comments just drag you down and you are more likely to have bad habits.

Good Luck.

One reason I didn't want to cruise for years was because I was convinced it was just an opportunity to gain a quick ten pounds. That's not true. I do so much walking onshore during the day that I can have whatever I want to eat and drink without gaining. Now, if I could just keep my walking up to that level at home...

Just because all that food is there for the asking, doesn't mean you have to eat it all! Watch portion sizes and just don't go "hog wild"!

The problem with losing weight just to be able to re-gain on the cruise, is that you will gain more than you lost! Every time you "shrink" those fat cells (and that's all you do--the actual "fat cells" never go away...) and re-fill them, they get larger and larger and larger--and so do you!

My eating habits don't change on a cruise. I don't order extra entrees, appetizers, etc....and feel no need to fill my mouth several times a day at the buffet or other venues.

I usually have a good breakfast, normal size...then maybe an afternoon snack from room service....and a nice dinner.

I'm not a booze guzzler having maybe 2/3 during the day and evening.

In addition, I'm a walker. You'll find me around sunrise on one of the upper decks enjoying a walk in the quiet of the morning..... I walk down the stairs whenever possible...can't walk up anymore; the old knees won't take that stress very long.

Weight gain has never been a problem on a cruise...

10 days until our cruise and i have lost 45 pounds.All i hear from myDW is u r going to eat too much,u r going to drink too much and put your weight back on!!I am going to eat a little too much and drink a little too much,but be more thoughtful in my choices and i probably will gain about 10 pounds in 2 weeks on a ship.and when i get home just keep on losing.

Funny part about this is she gained and lost proportinately the exact same amount of weight as i,but it is NOT a problem for her,even if i say it could be!!HaHa:confused: Women,can't live with them,can't live without them.

I don't appreciate your wife's attitude towards your weight. I would rather hear how supportive she is.

congratulations on losing 45 pounds!!!! Enjoy your cruise!

I've never gained weight on a cruise. I try to eat the same amount I would at home. I do indulge a little more in desserts, but it doesn't seem to make a difference because I am much more active when cruising. Hiking, snorkeling, etc works it all off.

I've gained as much as 5 lbs on a 7-day cruise, and as little as 0.

My husband gained 12 on our 12-nighter last spring. But then he really takes advantage of all of the food on the ship ... early breakfast before I get up, followed by breakfast with me, then a stop at the pastry shop for a cinnamon bun (or 3), then early lunch, then a slice of pizza, then afternoon snack, followed by dinner and then more pizza.

I keep it off by walking, drinking lots of water, and recognizing that I don't have to eat everything I see!

BTW - I never bug my husband about what he eats. After all, he has to lose it again - I don't! And it is his vacation, so if 15 slices of pizza a day keep him happy, then go for it!

I gained 3 lbs on most of my cruises. I don't watch what I eat or drink on a cruise. I am on vacation and I enjoy myself. But I am pretty active with lots of snorkeling excursions and walking/hiking. I never have a problem loosing the weight when I get home. I lost all 3 lbs in less than a week after coming home.

BTW - I never bug my husband about what he eats. After all, he has to lose it again - I don't! And it is his vacation, so if 15 slices of pizza a day keep him happy, then go for it!

There ya go!

If 3 desserts appeal to me, I might have 3 desserts. DH would never say a word and might laugh. He's diabetic so would rarely even have one dessert, except the sugar frees.

My mother is extremely food oriented, so when I cruised with her, we chowed. and walked a ton, so it worked out.

I am a firm believer in "it depends on the quality of the food onboard".

I have gained as much as 7lbs on a cruise, but on my last cruise (Caribbean Princess), the food was so mediocre that I LOST 3 lbs!!

Usually, I'm up around 5 lbs by the time I return home. I refuse to count calories/points/fat grams/whatever, when I am on vacation....it's a VACATION for goodness sake! Enjoy!:p

Last year I joined Weight Watchers and lost 40lbs. Then went on 2 cruises since and lost 3 on one and 1.5 on another. I didn't watch what I ate, had whatever I wanted to, but most of the time they were just smaller portions, also drank all I wanted too! I was really concerned that I was going to gain, but you really do a LOT of walking (I even took elevators - no stairs!) so that really helps. I'm sure you will be fine! Have a great cruise.

A few years ago, I joined Weight Watchers and lost 20 pounds prior to my cruise that year. I consistently gain about 5-6 back while cruising and a few more shortly after returning home. (Bad habits I gain on the cruise, mostly involving portion control!)

So I typically have 10 pounds to lose prior to every cruise, which I start working on about six months prior to embarkation. I want to enjoy my cruise and not have to count points, so I accept that I will gain back, in one week, half of what I spent six months losing.

I'm with ya! When I cruise, I go all out! If I'm worried about the weight I'll gain, I make sure I work hard before we go. We sail in 2 weeks, and as of right now I have lost 6 pounds. If I gain it all back, oh well. But, to each's own...:)

Since DH was diagnosed diabetes 2 last autumn, we've lived in a sugar-free house, and lost 2 stones each. My problem on Jade in Feb, was the vast pile of scones in the Great Outdoors, complete with the great bowls of jam and cream. I somehow always managed to be upstairs at around 4pm....that's why I added 3 pounds!-jocap.

I have always lost weight on each cruise.

I don't change my eating habits, don't eat more or less than normal, don't just stick with fish, chicken, salads.

Maybe because I am active on the shore excursions. I don't know. But, I am active at home, so it's not like I am getting more activity on vacation. Maybe it is just me. LOL

Archived