just noticed..

Frassy

The cruise ship has my nickname on the paperwork (Cindy). The passport and birth certificate both have full name (Cynthia). Do you think this will present a problem? Booking agent wants to charge $50 to have it corrected. :eek:'

(Cruise is in 2 weeks)

Why a $50 charge to correct their mistake??????

I wouldn't worry about it...Everyone knows that Cindy is the same as Cynthia---it's a nickname.

Call the cruiseline and straighten it out yourself, if you must. Your travel agent should have been aware of something like this!

I would change it! They can be very strict about your id matching your reservation exactly. How did they get Cindy? Someone, maybe your travel agent had to have given it to them that way. I would try to get the agent to pay it but I would change it.

Thanks househunter. I totally agree. I would even pay half but do feel they should at least pay 1/2 of it.

I appreciate your feedback.

Happy cruising!

When you booked the cruise originally, did they not provide you with an invoice stating the passengers names as booked ? If so, and you received the booking invoice, did you not catch the error then ? Perhaps you gave the name "Cindy" and the agent did not ask if this was your legal name, but if you gave an incorrect name and the TA did not know it, I really cannot see where you feel the TA should eat the name change correction. :rolleyes: Regardless of who pays, you do need to get it corrected so as to avoid any potential problems that could arise when checking in or with customs officials.

The cruise ship has my nickname on the paperwork (Cindy). The passport and birth certificate both have full name (Cynthia). Do you think this will present a problem? Booking agent wants to charge $50 to have it corrected. :eek:'

(Cruise is in 2 weeks)

Your agent should call the cruise company to see if they can simply make a note in your reservation that your legal name is Cynthia.... Airlines can do this...perhaps the cruise company can do the same.

I don't know what ship you're on, but many cruise companies do charge a 50.00 fee for any name changes within the cancellation time period. If it's just something your agent wants to charge you, well then, you need a new agent--which is moot at this point.

While it might not present a problem, you need to know that Homeland Security/Department of Immigration REQUIRE that the name on the tickets and the name on the ID match.......you could be denied boarding.....

The only way they know who you are is through matching names....else, you could be Cindy anyone.......

I wouldn't worry about it. We were traveling with my husband's birth certificate that listed his name as "baby boy"....it gave the cruise people a good laugh, but it was no problem letting him board.

"baby boy".... That's good....

But I'll call you and raise...

Story I got from a friend in New Orleans (you know how friends + stories go) was that a new mother in Charity Hospital in NOLA gave birth to a beautiful little girl. She hesitated and would not name the child until she had relatives arrive to consult. The hospital says to her, "We have to have a name for the baby on the birth certificate or we will not allow you to take her home.." The new mother reads over the partially completed form and announced the baby's name - The clerk from records goes away happy - the baby has a name on the birth certificate and everyone lives happily everyafter (maybe???)

Oh the baby's name Fe-ma-le Jones....:D

you might be able to go online to the cruise lines web site and modify your name so that it matches directly to the ID that you will be using. If not perhaps calling the cruise line directly would work.

I would have the name corrected. If your confirmation arrived with your nickname and you did not see the error, the expense should be yours.

If the confirmation had Cynthia, there should be no charge to you.

You could (conceivably) encounter a person who is not willing to accept Cindy as Cynthia on your ID and could cause you a headache.

I would have the name corrected. If your confirmation arrived with your nickname and you did not see the error, the expense should be yours.

If the confirmation had Cynthia, there should be no charge to you.

You could (conceivably) encounter a person who is not willing to accept Cindy as Cynthia on your ID and could cause you a headache.

I agree with Sail. You might hear that this person or that person had no problems, but you can also read here on Cruise Critic about people that were denied boarding and left on the peir.

Trust me, $50 is a lot to me, but having something that may prevent me to get on the ship is worth a lot more to clear up. JMHO.

Have a great cruise!

John

My US passport had my name as Frances. When I sign my name it is always Fran. When I presented for my Canadian passport I brought my Canadian Citizenship Card. Unbelievably it has Frances on one side while the reverse has Fran. This left me with the option and I chose to have it match my signature.

I had given my TA my new Canadian passport # and forgot to tell her of the name change. My documents still said Frances. The fault was mine. When my documents came I called her and she phoned HAL. They said that "it must match". The rule is if the change is less than three letters, there is no charge. Any more than that it is $50.

I took my chances and brought my citizenship card as well as my passport to prove that the government gives me a choice. This is an official document. It was never even questioned as I boarded.

If you have documents or envelopes that have both names, I suggest you take them with you. Here is hoping that all goes well.

Fran

Are you getting the boarding info on line that you print and take with you? In that case put Cynthia as your name. We always do this, putting our names and passport numbers on their forms. When we board this is what we give them. I would think this is what they will go by with your passport.

Last cruise the cruise line didn't show me a platinum cruiser, I found that they

had three different forms of my name on file, they were able to link them all

and solved my issue.

What does this have to do with the original poster's name and passport issue?

I really don't like it when they do this when I book a cruise. I give them my full name, yet my documents and stuff say my nickname of Kim or even Kimmy/ie. I don't know why they do this when they want your name to match what is stated on your birth certificate or passport.

I was questioned once (out of 7 cruises) before because of it, but the manager came over and waived it off. I now make sure my full name is on everything so there is no trouble.

I really don't like it when they do this when I book a cruise. I give them my full name, yet my documents and stuff say my nickname of Kim or even Kimmy/ie. I don't know why they do this when they want your name to match what is stated on your birth certificate or passport.

I was questioned once (out of 7 cruises) before because of it, but the manager came over and waived it off. I now make sure my full name is on everything so there is no trouble.

It is up to the passenger to provide LEGAL NAME as it appears on passport or the legal name they use when a BC is being used for proof of citizenship..... If the passenger does not provide the accurate info (Which should be verified by the passenger on the booking invoice they should be provided regardless of who they book with and if necessary corrected immediately), the cruiseline has no clue other than to make the booking with passengers names as provided.... I have yet to have a cruiseline rep use a nickname after I provide the accurate names when making a booking for clients ! :rolleyes:

It is up to the passenger to provide LEGAL NAME as it appears on passport or the legal name they use when a BC is being used for proof of citizenship..... If the passenger does not provide the accurate info (Which should be verified by the passenger on the booking invoice they should be provided regardless of who they book with and if necessary corrected immediately), the cruiseline has no clue other than to make the booking with passengers names as provided.... I have yet to have a cruiseline rep use a nickname after I provide the accurate names when making a booking for clients ! :rolleyes:

This happened on my last cruise so I don't know what the agent was doing or thinking. I just called back and had them correct it, with no charge.

Archived