CoCo Cay Help!

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share with me some info on CoCo Cay? We will be there the 3rd week of June and we are prepared for a full on beach day but I was wondering if there are any type of mats or floats available for cruisers? Even to rent? Or do you think I could sneak a small blow up one in my beach bag? Was there anyone there using them?

Also- as far as money is concerned on the island...do you use your ship card for everything or is cash needed? And do you have to get back on the ship of food?

I thank you so much in advance for your time and help.

Sam

There is a BBQ lunch on the island. There is no additional charge for the food, or water-based drinks. You can either buy a can of soda or use your soda card. Alcohol is charged to your account--just like on the ship. Think of this as a "sea day", but on land!

You don't have to rent the floating mats in advance ( even tho it's shown on the "excursion list") as there are tons of them. Wait and see if you really need one before paying for it!

You may come and go to the ship anytime you want.

Have fun--Coco Cay is a lovely day!

Yep, that pretty much nails it. The only thing you might want to book in advance would be the wave runners or parasailing if you are so inclined. The mats are plentiful, as is snorkle gear for rent. We have seen lots of folks with their own blow ups but we never think of it ahead of time.

msjaxson is correct about the straw market. There are a few local vendors that have t-shirts, crafts, etc. for sale and they take cash. This market is not as big as the one on Labadee, but neither is it a hectic and "high pressure". We always buy a little something from one of the vendors there, but it is purely optional.

They will have a "cookout" on the island with lots of food. It used to be just one big "Luau", but nowadays they have it set up kiosk style which spreads out the crowd and the lines are not bad at all (often NO lines!). There is no charge for the food (yet:o).

They have lots of bars scattered about that have both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. The special drink is the "Coco Loco" which is mighty tasty. You need a seapass for these.

It is a very inexpensive, short cruise. We have family in TN, Al, and Florida so we drive down, spend a few days with each of the family. My DW is prone to motion sickness and we have only been alone on 2 of the cruises. Other family members were going and asked us to go along so we did.

Here are a few pictures of Coco Cay. We've always enjoyed this stop.

One additional piece of advice. If you looked at the pictures that were posted, it looks like the chairs are right on top of one another. If you want to have an area that is quieter and less crowded, don't stop at the first lounger you find. Keep walking along the beach, maybe five minutes or so. You'll find there are loads of open areas and you'll feel like you are on your own private island.....well almost.

Steve

we just got back, if you take the nature hike you will end up in a very quiet section of beach. Its about a 10 min hike and fun. The iguanas are all over the place out in the open closer to the ship tender area. You can go to the right and follow the beach all the way around the island or take the nature hike. We had the best time, I wish I was there right now!!

Archived