Amsterdam or Copenhagen?

Chelly

Need help selecting 2010 cruise. Which departure city is better for two-day pre-cruise stay, ease of transport to cruise terminal and preferable airport ....Amsterdam or Copenhagen? Thanks for your advice.

Both have good transportation to/from airport. Both are good airports (Copenhagen's is quite a bit smaller). Both are great cities to spend some time. Two of my favorite cities. Better beer in Amsterdam (translation: easier to find Belgian beer there).

Both have good transportation to/from airport. Both are good airports (Copenhagen's is quite a bit smaller). Both are great cities to spend some time. Two of my favorite cities. Better beer in Amsterdam (translation: easier to find Belgian beer there).

Thank you. What about distance and travel time from cruise terminal to airport in each city?

Need help selecting 2010 cruise. Which departure city is better for two-day pre-cruise stay, ease of transport to cruise terminal and preferable airport ....Amsterdam or Copenhagen?

To get from the airport to the cruise terminal is a toss up between the two cities. Both require either a train trip and walking to the pier or taking a cab. If you are inclined to take care of your own luggage and don't mind a short walk, then Amsterdam is better. But why????

If you intend to stay in either city before the cruise you need a hotel etc. So why is the transport to the ship so important? I would suggest that you select the city on the basis of what you want to do there and then figure out how to get to the ship.

If the question is what is the best city to spend two extra days, then my vote is definitely in favor of Amsterdam and the surrounding attractions.

Since I live there I choose Amsterdam. Good airport with trainconnections into the city. The station is close to the cruise-terminal and also city-centre.

But to be honest I also like Copenhagen.

Since I live there I choose Amsterdam. Good airport with trainconnections into the city. The station is close to the cruise-terminal and also city-centre.

But to be honest I also like Copenhagen.

Thank you. As a Amsterdam resident are you familiar with Hotel Nadia?

Thank you. As a Amsterdam resident are you familiar with Hotel Nadia?

No sorry I donot know that hotel. But there are so many, the choice is wide.

Both such great cities. We often use Amsterdam as a stopover because Martinair (Partner of KLM) flies nonstop from Miami to Amsterdam. Copenhagen is a great city as well - just more difficult to get to from here. Two great choices.

Good flight connections and a quick, easy transport from cruise terminal to airport are factors as well.

I like Celebrity's itinerary and am waiting to see what HAL has to offer.

Thanks!

Oh, to have such decisions. Two great cities, two great cruise lines - I'm sure you will love whichever cruise you pick. Just to stir up the pot a little and give you more options - have you every looked at Oceania for that itinerary? Taking it to the next level of fabulous.

Oh, to have such decisions. Two great cities, two great cruise lines - I'm sure you will love whichever cruise you pick. Just to stir up the pot a little and give you more options - have you every looked at Oceania for that itinerary? Taking it to the next level of fabulous.

Oceania looks very attractive indeed. Price seems steep. But, maybe some day...... I am a 62 year old woman who travels solo, paying single supplement.

As a Copenhagener i must say..... Amsterdam.:)

This city has so much to offer and i have been there 3 times now, but not seen it all.

But don´t misunderstand me, Copenhagen is a very good place to visit also but this is a uneven match.

Oceania looks very attractive indeed. Price seems steep. But, maybe some day...... I am a 62 year old woman who travels solo, paying single supplement.

Have you seen the itineraries and pricing for Oceania that came out last week? Their fare includes "free air", all government fees and taxes included in fare, unlimited soft drinks and bottled water (in addition to free coffee/iced tea/lemonade/cappuchino and milkshakes) The single supplement is 50%. It is a smaller ship and absoluely delightful. We are doing the Baltic with them this June/July

Have you seen the itineraries and pricing for Oceania that came out last week? Their fare includes "free air", all government fees and taxes included in fare, unlimited soft drinks and bottled water (in addition to free coffee/iced tea/lemonade/cappuchino and milkshakes) The single supplement is 50%. It is a smaller ship and absoluely delightful. We are doing the Baltic with them this June/July

You have convinced me to give Oceania a call. I can tell you are a real fan of this cruise line. :) Do you recall meeting many singles onboard?

Oh, I'm leaning towards Amsterdam as departure port. I think I'd prefer to spend a few pre-cruise days in Amsterdam rather than Copenhagen.

You have convinced me to give Oceania a call. I can tell you are a real fan of this cruise line. :) Do you recall meeting many singles onboard?

Oh, I'm leaning towards Amsterdam as departure port. I think I'd prefer to spend a few pre-cruise days in Amsterdam rather than Copenhagen.

A fan I am:D The "singles" We met onboard were with an elderly parent, however you are certain to feel welcomed and asked to join in with others. Join the roll call for the itinerary you are taking and go from there. We have met many wonderful folks there with whom we shared cab rides, tours, dinner etc. Sorry to digress from the original post

I'd vote for Amsterdam..great airport.

Hello, you sound like you know Amsterdam well. I have just found out that our cruise ship gets in at 8 in the morning, leaves at 2 pm. I am in shock. Any advice on what to do in about 5 (at the most) hours in Amsterdam? My partner has to see the Van Gogh......but after that, precious moments to spare. I wanted to see the Anne Frank house...........but maybe no time?

It's Celebrity Constellation May 30 out of Harwich. Who schedules a 5 and a half hour stop in a city as spectacular as Amsterdam?

I'm not happy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to go off track slightly

What area would you look for a pre cruise hotel in ?

One close to the dock would be good.

I am confused as I am not sure of the areas mentioned on some hotel sites EG: Museum Quarter, Central, Western:confused:

Need help selecting 2010 cruise. Which departure city is better for two-day pre-cruise stay, ease of transport to cruise terminal and preferable airport ....Amsterdam or Copenhagen? Thanks for your advice.

Both are super great cities! We loved Copenhagen in our first visit last summer. Amsterdam's airport is bigger with more service options. Both airports are fairly close to the main downtown. BUT, Copenhagen and Denmark are much closer to the main Baltic cities and Russia, if that's your key goal on this cruise. With Copenhagen, you would save time in needing less sailing time than going from Amsterdam to the Baltics and then back. Some love sea days, but that is added time and money.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hello, you sound like you know Amsterdam well. I have just found out that our cruise ship gets in at 8 in the morning, leaves at 2 pm. I am in shock. Any advice on what to do in about 5 (at the most) hours in Amsterdam? My partner has to see the Van Gogh......but after that, precious moments to spare. I wanted to see the Anne Frank house...........but maybe no time?

It's Celebrity Constellation May 30 out of Harwich. Who schedules a 5 and a half hour stop in a city as spectacular as Amsterdam?

I'm not happy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

An Frank museum opens at 09.00. so go there first. You can book tickets on-line on their website, then you can skip possible lines.

The visit takes about 1 hour.

After that go to Van Gogh Museum.(That opens at 10.00) Also there you can order tickets online to skip possible lines.

Although public transport is good, you might loose too much time on such a short stop. Take cabs to get there and in between the museums.

Just to go off track slightly

What area would you look for a pre cruise hotel in ?

One close to the dock would be good.

I am confused as I am not sure of the areas mentioned on some hotel sites EG: Museum Quarter, Central, Western:confused:

Hotels around Centraal Station are closest to the dock, which is closest to city-center.

Hotels around the museums are just south of city-center.

Hotels around Centraal Station are closest to the dock, which is closest to city-center.

Hotels around the museums are just south of city-center.

Thanks

Is either of them a bad area?

Thanks

Is either of them a bad area?

Not really, it is a busy area. Although the red light district is not too far away.

Most hotels are around Nieuwe Zijds Voorburgwal, Damrak and Dam.

Renaissance, Victoria, Barbizon palace, Krasnapolsky, Bellevue, Crowne OPlaza to name a few.

Not really, it is a busy area. Although the red light district is not too far away.

Most hotels are around Nieuwe Zijds Voorburgwal, Damrak and Dam.

Renaissance, Victoria, Barbizon palace, Krasnapolsky, Bellevue, Crowne OPlaza to name a few.

Thank you for the helpful advice

Archived