UK Itinerary in '10?

I am wondering about when NCL or RCCL might be enhancing special cruises for '10. They both have one European cruise that starts in Dover and makes stops in Ireland and Scotland. These trips are 10-13 days each I believe. Do you know if they might only offer these in 09 or maybe have one in 10?

I can't go this May, but would love to take advantages of these routes a year from now. Thanks for all of your help.

Neither NCL nor Royal Caribbean has a cruise that goes to the British Isles in 2010. The Crown Princess will do several cruises to the British Isles from Southampton, and I expect Holland America will, too.

**Hey - I live in Champaign, too!

Thanks. I didn't know if NCL or RCL would add a special cruise later on. Both had one cruise on that itinerary in '09.

Small world living in C-U?

Both have had their 2010 Europe itineraries available for booking for awhile, so I doubt they will add a special British Isles cruise later. In the past few years, Jewel of the Seas did one British Isles/Norway cruise. But in the summer of 2010, all of Jewel's cruises are Baltic ones.

Princess's web site doesn't have all of their 2010 Europe cruises listed yet - but this is the Crown Princess's British Isles itinerary: http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=3028&trade=E

I was counting on the RCI one for 2010 and also noticed that NCL had withdrawn theirs too.

I wonder if they only do these routes every couple of years?

My guess is they weren't that popular, so they were dropped.

NCL Jade moved from Hawaii last year, and I think she had to fit in where she could, so had a few different trips from Southampton last and this summer. They were very popular, but as NCL is a very different product to what the Brits are used to, and reading the UK sites, not many Brits return to her, so next year she's based in Barcelona all year round. (We loved her and travelled on her again). Normally Princess, HA, P&O and Fred Olsen do these trips.-jocap.

I've pretty much decided on Azura for the Fjords in 2010 but will wait for Princess before I decide. Undecided on the benefits of booking so early though, I've just noticed some huge discounts on my next cruise on Indy in May :rolleyes: :(

Do you mean Azamara? Princess has their 2010 Europe itineraries available for booking - but they aren't all on their web site yet.

Do you mean Azamara? Princess has their 2010 Europe itineraries available for booking - but they aren't all on their web site yet.

No, not Azamara. Thanks for the thumbs up re Princess, I had no idea their itineraries were out. I'll call in my local travel agents later and see what they can offer :p

NCL Jade moved from Hawaii last year, and I think she had to fit in where she could, so had a few different trips from Southampton last and this summer. They were very popular, but as NCL is a very different product to what the Brits are used to, and reading the UK sites, not many Brits return to her, so next year she's based in Barcelona all year round. (We loved her and travelled on her again). Normally Princess, HA, P&O and Fred Olsen do these trips.-jocap.

Hi, could you give a little more info regarding the highlighted portion of your post. We are travelling on NCL Jewel this Sept.

Northender- I was trying to be tactful! On the whole, Brits travel with well-loved local lines, such as P&O, Olsen and Thomsons. They are run for the British market, with well-known food (fish &chips, shepherd's pie etc). Local beers and soft drinks are on board, and probably some famous entertainer from the TV. So it's all warm and cosy, even if you're in Australia or the Caribbean, with the ever popular local airlines to get you there. You have your set place at dinner, and become friendly with your waiter, and the tipping is up to you, using the British £. We have also become accustomed to Sea Princess, which is similar to P&O, and some of RCI, especially Freedom and Indie, which both did a season here when launched. Then along comes Jade, from a company which sounded European, offering fantastic rates for its first season in Southampton.I don't think many people read about it, and were perplexed at the whole "Freedom" idea, didn't know why they had to pay in $$s, had never met with a service charge, and objected strongly to paying a 15% tip on drinks. I'm a smoker, so I spent a lot of time in the Great Outside with lots of British smokers, listening to the grumbles. Not one person I met would return to Norwegian, and most went to remove their service charge, seeing it as utter cheek! We, on the other hand, thought that the whole Freedom experience was perfect for us, because we hate being regimented and told where and when to eat as we were on some Brit cruises, and believe that the service charge sensibly removes the last night worry of who and how much to tip (not living in a tipping culture but knowing this is an old tradition on ships). We loved every moment of the cruise, round the British Isles, and had no hesitation about booking again for winter, which was even better-and we're booking NCL again for next year. You'll enjoy Jewel because you've obviously researched by coming on this page to find out!-Happy cruising-jocap.

The NCL product is probably closer to Ocean Village out of those targeted to the UK market.

One problem is that UK lines Thomson and Island(now thomson) are tips included and the prices on board are lower than the US ships.

If NCL had sold through the UK only with the tips included they may have avoided some of the issues over the last summer on the Jade.

The Jewel out of Dover does seems to be OK, a more mature baltics market and does not suffer the same issues.

We love the NCL freestyle, just budget for the tips and some speciality eating and enjoy.

Always check US prices though they are sometimes cheaper than the UK ones.

P&O currently seem to be the biggest discounter for ex UK cruises some very good deals and some good Solo rates as well.

Thank you jocap and Inside Cabin. We are doing a TA out of Dover in mid September with arrival back in the States in NYC. Yes, I guess culture does make a difference and the cruise lines should be more savvy in this matter.:cool:

We are coming a couple of days ahead and staying in London. I have been there once before and looking to do some sightseeing - I loved The Tower of London and want to go again. Mdme Tussads Wax Museum is also on the list. A few of us are staying at the Copthorne Tara (no smoking:eek:), so I'll be outside hanging out with my glass of wine. Hope it is warm:D

I do like the "freedom" idea and when cruising Princess always do the Anytime Dining. Born in Canada, fish & chips along with meatloaf and shepard's pie are right up my alley.:) Princess now has a Pub menu on some of its ships - comfort food....Yummmm

• 3 weeks later...
Northender- I was trying to be tactful! On the whole, Brits travel with well-loved local lines, such as P&O, Olsen and Thomsons. They are run for the British market, with well-known food (fish &chips, shepherd's pie etc). Local beers and soft drinks are on board, and probably some famous entertainer from the TV. So it's all warm and cosy, even if you're in Australia or the Caribbean, with the ever popular local airlines to get you there. You have your set place at dinner, and become friendly with your waiter, and the tipping is up to you, using the British £. We have also become accustomed to Sea Princess, which is similar to P&O, and some of RCI, especially Freedom and Indie, which both did a season here when launched. Then along comes Jade, from a company which sounded European, offering fantastic rates for its first season in Southampton.I don't think many people read about it, and were perplexed at the whole "Freedom" idea, didn't know why they had to pay in $$s, had never met with a service charge, and objected strongly to paying a 15% tip on drinks. I'm a smoker, so I spent a lot of time in the Great Outside with lots of British smokers, listening to the grumbles. Not one person I met would return to Norwegian, and most went to remove their service charge, seeing it as utter cheek! We, on the other hand, thought that the whole Freedom experience was perfect for us, because we hate being regimented and told where and when to eat as we were on some Brit cruises, and believe that the service charge sensibly removes the last night worry of who and how much to tip (not living in a tipping culture but knowing this is an old tradition on ships). We loved every moment of the cruise, round the British Isles, and had no hesitation about booking again for winter, which was even better-and we're booking NCL again for next year. You'll enjoy Jewel because you've obviously researched by coming on this page to find out!-Happy cruising-jocap.

We really will have to meet up on a cruise sometime since we seem to have a similar outlook and attitude and I too am a smoker!

Jean

We really will have to meet up on a cruise sometime since we seem to have a similar outlook and attitude and I too am a smoker!

Jean

Yes, I have thought the same, when we have replied in a similar vein to posters! (perhaps on "the other site" too?). We've already booked next year's cruises-as you can see-including a first with Thomson's so that DH can get a snorkling fix in the Red Sea (having a week first in Sharm)-much as we love Jade, it was pretty cold in the Med this Feb-one dip in the pool was enough! Too late for my premium bonds to come up for this year's Jade UK, but perhaps Equitable Life will suddenly repay us before she sails? (bat in hell's chance comes to mind!)-jocap.

Archived