In port @ 7am Fort Lauderdale; what's the earliest flight out of FLL that I can take?

rbm

We're on the Regent Feb 09 trip out of Fort Lauderdale. According to the itinerary we're back in port at 7am and am wondering what's the earliest, reasonable flight I can catch out of FLL.

I've never taken a cruise before therefore I'm uncertain as to the disembarkation process.

Thanks.

Can't remember exactly when our two cruises arrived in FLL, but remember that if the ship is arriving at 7 a.m., there will probably be a delay in actually getting off. You might ask your TA when you could reasonably disembark--they do it by color coding, i.e., grouped by type of ongoing arrangements so that everybody doesn't try to get off at once. So you might not get off until 8:30 for example.

We were told last time that Regent would not book a flight for us before about noon I think. For this December we've got a flight booked at about 2 p.m.

It is a quick trip to the airport from the port by cab. But FLL can be quite crowded--we had to literally run for a flight there a couple of years back because of the congested security clearance.

Thanks Wendy. I'll be sure to book something mid-afternoon to be safe.

We'll likely head down to Ft. Lauderdale and spend a few days pre-cruise. Have you visited the city or only passed through? Is it worth a visit?

We just recently got off the Navigator.

Had a 1:15 pm flight.

Worked well.

Probably could have had a noon flight and not worry

but was happy with the one we took.

Only takes about 15 minutes to get to the airport

from Port Everglades.

If you carry your own luggage off, you can disembark anytime after the ship is in port. This is what we do.

Good information RachaelG -- didn't know that Regent allowed you to do that (although I know other cruise lines do).

We always have a noon flight out of FLL -- never had a problem. The cruise port is very near the airport!

you never know what time you get off; last Nov. due to immigration problems with crew and finding passengers, although our ship arrived at 7:A.M.we didn't get off till 10. still enoght time but i wouldn't book a flight till at least 12:30 to be safe

We know a number of people who don't put their luggage out the night before

and when they announce that the 1st group can get off they take their stuff and head out.

I'm not sure I want to sit with all my luggage waiting from 8 am until whenever they make the announcement then haul it off the ship.

There are really two issues with disembarkation in Ft. Lauderdale:

1. When will the ship be cleared by Immigration and Border Protection; and

2. How long will it take to clear security at the Ft. Lauderdale airport.

It can probably be done earlier, but the earliest I'd try for is a noon or 12:30 PM airport departure. Any earlier MIGHT be made, but why tempt fate?

The official advise is noon. I have done 11:15 a couple of times and chose not to do 10:50 but could have made it. We like to have a hearty breakfast to get the travel morning going, and we don't like to herd up with a big line to get off. We'd rather wait until a lot of people get off and get toward the end of the line.

I'm interested in the concept of just keeping your luggage, then just getting off whenever the ship has cleared. Downside is lugging your luggage (huh, luggage is the stuff that you lug!) around the ship after you must be out of your room. Upside is a sense of liberty. Guess it depends on when your flight is--ours isn't until 1:45 next time, so we will not be in a hurry. Trying to remember--it's about 8:30 when you have to clear your stateroom, right?

To answer the OP question- The cruise terminal is just a few minutes from the airport. I have booked 10:15AM flights MANY a time, with NO problems! (Unless during a major travel holiday)

Host Dan

Twice we have had problems with customs or something getting off.

Normally it was from passengers not paying attention to rules and can't be found.

DUH!!

Anyway many people were getting stressed because it was getting later and later before

we were allowed to get off the ship.

Because of that we started allowing for possible delays when booking flights.

Last time we had a leisurely breakfast in Compass Rose (with great service) and were literally the last ones off the Voyager. By that time a porter had picked up our bags (the only ones not claimed) and was waiting for us at the base of the elevators in FLL. Added to the feeling of being pampered.

Archived