Copenhagen which pier and other questions

Embracedbylife

So i've been on the Europe/Baltics forum for over a year now and am not getting much info. This forum is much more populated, and resourceful. So if you don't mind me posting a question here instead of the other forum...

Does anyone know where I would find on the princess boarding pass/cruise docs the exact pier that we are to go to for our 6/15/09 cruise out of Copenhagen on the Emerald. There are 2 ports and I don't know which one we are to go to.

If anyone has travelled from Copenhagen and stayed at the HIlton airport hotel, do you know if it's easy to take the train to the pier or should we just take a cab?

If anyone has travelled from Copenhagen and stayed at the HIlton airport hotel, do you know if it's easy to take the train to the pier or should we just take a cab?

If you have luggage you are willing to walk blocks with, the train is an option.

We took a cab from the Hilton to the pier last September for the then equivalent of about $50.

great site, but it looks like Sept is a long way off on their list of cruise ships and where

they dock. I guess if I ever see Emerald on there in June, I'll know where she'll dock

in Sept. Of course, I couldn't figure out which dock the list is talking about. When I

have more time, I'll sit and stare at it and maybe my brain will unfog

Mimi

Does anyone know where I would find on the princess boarding pass/cruise docs the exact pier that we are to go to for our 6/15/09 cruise out of Copenhagen on the Emerald. There are 2 ports and I don't know which one we are to go to.

Freeport Terminal C245

Lisacollie,

We will be on the same cruise, and also staying at the Hilton. We plan on taking a taxi. I once dragged the family, with luggage, through the Paris metro. Once is enough.

We're arriving a day early. Hope to see you at the hotel.

Rick

Carribill, you said we would be sailing from Freeport terminal. I went to the site suggested and found that we do sail from C245. But I could not figure out how to tell which terminal. How did you know? What clues did I miss? I don't want to pay for a taxi to take me to the wrong terminal. How do all the folks on the cruise who do not use Cruise Critic find out what terminal to go to?

Carribill, you said we would be sailing from Freeport terminal. I went to the site suggested and found that we do sail from C245. But I could not figure out how to tell which terminal. How did you know?

Chances are the taxi driver will know where to go. The Emerald Princess is too big to miss.

For a port map, go to http://www.cmport.com/80256A3F004AD3CF/(AllDocsByDocId)/DCAA7FD4DD72EECC80256A3F005B1B68?OpenDocument and in the drop down box next to The Free Port, select Quay number.

Hey Rick,

I'm so happy to hear you are on the same cruise as us!! We are getting excited! I think we'll also just grab a cab to keep it simple :) We plan to arrive the day before, still have to buy our airline tickets though! Just waiting for hubby's boss to approve his vacation...

I was hoping we would be at Langelinie in Sept on Emerald, but that would be too

great. I read further on these Copenhagen port sites, and they said ships needing

large enclosed areas can't do Langelinie. Since the Emerald will be embarking and

disembarking pax, we need the area for luggage. Boo hiss!!I wanted to be able to

walk to the Little Mermaid and to town........

Thanks for the info, regarding where we'll be......I guess taxi is the only option to

and from the ship as it's too far to walk. (for me, anyway).

I have read that the cabs take credit cards. What kind of exchange rate would it

be? Would we be better off getting cash before we leave home for the taxis, since

we're probably talking $50 in USD?

I was hoping we would be at Langelinie in Sept on Emerald, but that would be too

great. I read further on these Copenhagen port sites, and they said ships needing

large enclosed areas can't do Langelinie. Since the Emerald will be embarking and

disembarking pax, we need the area for luggage. Boo hiss!!I wanted to be able to

walk to the Little Mermaid and to town........

Thanks for the info, regarding where we'll be......I guess taxi is the only option to

and from the ship as it's too far to walk. (for me, anyway).

I have read that the cabs take credit cards. What kind of exchange rate would it

be? Would we be better off getting cash before we leave home for the taxis, since

we're probably talking $50 in USD?

Most taxis take credit cards (although if you're coming from the airport/Hilton, the likelihood is pretty high that only cc-equipped cabs will be there) but not all. I'd have the cash -- it's just way easier. Plus, you have to make sure you tell the driver at the start of the ride that you're paying by credit card; if you forget, I don't think they can accept the card at the end -- and there were several times I forgot to mention it! Luckily I always had plenty of cash on me. . . .

By the way, the Little Mermaid -- no big deal! You aren't missing anything. But if you have time, the Danish Resistance Museum, which isn't far from her, is fascinating.

be? Would we be better off getting cash before we leave home for the taxis, since we're probably talking $50 in USD?

The exchange rate on credit cards is usually very good. Not so good is that most USA based credit cards have a 3% fee for any charges made outside the USA. Capitalone creditcards have no such fee.

If you want to pay in cash, you will need Danish kroner. Credit cards will have an exchange rate that is about the same as debit card withdrawals at an ATM. Exchanging your money at a bank or airport money exchange booth will usually result in a significantly poorer exchange rate.

thanks for your response. I had already planned to get some kroner through AAA which

beats my bank.

I also used to be able to cash Am Ex travelers checks at Am Ex offices throughout the

world........they gave current rates and didn't charge a transaction fee. Hope that still

works, as they are usually centrally located.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all this great info. My sister just talked me into joining her on the Emerald 6/15/09 and my son and I will be at the airport Hilton the night before, too. I've been researching transportation and docks for a couple of hours and I finally found this thread. I should have known the CC board was the only place to go. :D

It's important to find out the pier ahead of time. We didn't, and our taxi driver didn't have a clue where to go. We drove around and around looking for the ship.

Also, be savvy with the taxi if you take it from the airport to the hotel. Find out the fare ahead of time. We got totally ripped off and paid some huge amount. Can't remember exactly what now, as that was 5 years ago. It helps to do your research and be prepared.

Princess cruises disembarks and embarks at the Freeport pier in Københvn. There are facilities there to handle check in and baggage. We just got off the Emerald in that port.

If the ship is just visiting, then it will probabably be at the Langelini docks. There is room there for 2 or three cruise ships at a time. We saw the Tahatian Princess and the Celebrity Millenium and one other cruise ship tied up there. The Langelini dock has no facilities for embarking or disembarking but has a lot of little shops along the pier.

As far as Taxi's go, most will take DKK money or even Euros. The also will take a Credit card. We use a Taxi twice, once from the Dock to Hotel and it was about 150 DKK and then from our hotel to the Airport about 200 DKK.

Almost everyone we ran into in København spoke English and were very helpful.

Alan

Archived