Has anyone driven from Vancouver BC to Seattle.

Redheel Girl

I will be arriving in Vancouver on May 2 on the "Star". :p DH and I plan to drive from Vancouver to Seattle. :)My question is how long of a drive is it and what is it like going through Customs when you cross the Border. Is the Border crossing very congested and how long will it take? We will be taking the "Coast Starlight" on May 3rd to Los Angeles.:rolleyes: Can anyone give me a idea fo what we should expect.

hi, we'll just pass each other. I'm driving from Seatle to Vancouver to board the Star for Alaska 5/2.

The drive isn't bad. About 3 hours, at least as my husband drives! The traffic in the Seattle area on a Sat has pockets of congestion but you're moving most of the time. The boarder is just iffy...but usually about 1 hour thru customs for the average joe American but can take up to 2 hours on the long side.

Perhaps you can email and find our from customs if certain times of the day are better than others if you have the option of choosing your time.

Plenty! Get yourself a good map of the area and try to check this website before you start driving or by mobile: http://www.borderlineups.com/ to determine crossing times at the several border crossings in the area. They also update border crossing times several times an hour on radio station AM730.

Entering the US can be very easy or very painful depending on the traffic level and how tight the US Border Patrol is being on a given day. Your wait at the Peace Arch crossing can be anywhere from nothing to 2 hours or more. The website I recommended is generally accurate and you can save yourself serious time by driving east to one of the other crossings if the Peace Arch or Truck Crossing (most direct routes from Vancouver to I-5) are packed. You miss the beauty of the Peace Arch crossing in spring, but you'll get to see some great Whatcom County farmland in the shadow of Mt. Baker. And you won't be sitting in a stopped car for hours on end. I'll head east if the listed wait times at Peace Arch are 45 minutes or more. Under that and it's a push on saving time by driving east.

All that said, weekends back into the US can be rough, particularly if you don't get moving early. I'd plan on a minimum of 3 hours total drive time with some acceptance that it might be 4 or more. And if it's less, nice post-cruise present from the traffic gods!

Thank you Jack Chick and Kamala. I did have reservations on the Train from Vancouver to Seattle but the train did not leave untill 5:45 pm and I did not want to set in a Train station. I have reversed this trip in Sept 08 on the Pearl but I have never tried to drive.I will wave at Jack Chick on the way down. Look for the Lady with the Red hair.

Hi, I live very close to both the Peace Arch crossing and Pacific (truck and bus) crossing. Pacific is my prefered choice - it is USUALLY quicker. However, having said that the lineups at both, especially on the weekend, can be absolutely awful. Of course, they can be good too but........

Take Hwy 99 south from Vancouver and it takes you direct to Peace Arch. Just before reaching that crossing you will see an exit for 8th Avenue - that will take you to Pacific crossing.

It will take you approximately an hour from downtown Vancouver to the border (unless there are any traffic hold-ups - I have been stuck in traffic heading out of Vancouver and it's taken me nearly 3 hours to get home). I'm not trying to be negative here and am simply sharing the possible downsides so you are aware!!!! This area has gone through mega growth but the road system just doesn't seem to get upgraded to handle it! Once through the border it is plain sailing (excuse the pun), unless there are traffic problems, and it will take about 2 to 3 hours to get to Seattle. Lots of Starbucks stops on the way if you, like me, are addicted to their coffee.

Have you checked out this website: http://www.cantrail.com click on Schedule Services. They provide bus service from Pacific Central train station in Vancouver to Amtrak Station downtown Seattle for a reasonable cost. The bus crosses at Pacific crossing and although they sometimes get delayed at the border it can be a faster crossing as they are in the "bus" lane and get to bypass the majority of the traffic. I believe tickets can also be purchased direct from Amtrak. If you are considering going this way I suggest booking seats as sometimes the bus will be full.

Hope that may help you.

Funny you should suggest this because I just canceled the Train from Vancouver to Seattle. It left at 5:45 pm and got into Seattle around 10:30 or so. We then had to catch the Coast Starlight at (9:45 am to LA. When we checked for the Amtrak Bus it left at 11:30 and we felt it could be too tight of a schedule if the Star was not on time Disembarking. I am a Suites Guest so I will be taken off by the ship by special disembarkation. I just though it would be good to drive to see the Beautiful land of Canada. My only problem is I have to drop off my car rental in Seattle by 3:45. If I am off by 9 I should be able to make it. thanks for you advice. I will check it out. All of you are great.

We sailed on the Pearl two years ago from Seattle and took the train to Vancouver and I sure was glad when we passed by the border crossing and saw traffic backed up for miles... it was a sunday afternoon if I remember correctly...

We had taken the Coast Starlight to Seattle from Los Angeles and were taking the train from Seattle to Chicago... I also did not want to wait around all day for the train to leave Vancouver and arrive in Seattle late at night...

So we flew... i checked on the internet and got a fantastic price for the trip and we were able to leave at our leisure in Vancouver and took a taxi to the station...

Since the Olympics are going to be in Vancouver in 2010, there was talk that they were going to add a train each way each day on the Cascades route. Any word of that happening, and was that just for the time frame around the Olympics? That would certainly help a lot of people. We thought the train trip was fantastic.

I have driven this many times. I'm assuming you have a downtown Vancouver rental?? I walk to the offices since the shuttles don't hold many and if you get a couple groups, you aren't going to make it until the next shuttle. I leave my luggage and companion on the curb in front of the Pan Pacific, drive back and get them. I have rented from Avis, Alamo, National, Budget, There is also Hertz. In Vancouver it is ALL city, slow stop and go driving. Have a good map.

Allow 4 hours for the drive, there is NO way to predict the border delays, which are longer on cruiseship days. It is of benefit to get going early. Later can build up with longer waits.

Hi

It is an easy drive... About 45 minn from vancouver to Border. Crossing is day and time dependent. Morning week day ok sunday afternoon 2 hours. If you stop at sift shop and have reciept you can use the other line some times shorter. Border to seattle alittle over 2 hours. roads are good and east driving.

Travel Safe

Paul

Since the Olympics are going to be in Vancouver in 2010, there was talk that they were going to add a train each way each day on the Cascades route. Any word of that happening, and was that just for the time frame around the Olympics?

The holdup was the Canadian customs officials and the agreement is that the extra trains will only be during the Olympics so won't help out cruisers.

I want to thank all of you for your great reply's. I have taken the Cascades#510 Sept 2007 and the ride was beautiful and yes Customs when I arrived in Vancouver was fast. Much easier way to go but the long time from when the Star arrives and the Train left was a long day with Luggage. I did a lot of thinking about which would be easier and choose driving and canceled my Train Reservation from Vancouver to Seattle. I know it will probably be just a Freeway but it will be a new adventure. Wish me luck.

We returned to Vancouver from an Alaskan cruise. We took a taxi to the train station and checked our luggage. Then we took a Hop On/Hop Off tour of Vancouver. We ended up near the train station and took the Cascades train to Seattle arriving around 10:30 p.m. We took a cab to a hotel near the airport and caught a flight out in the a.m. Customs was nothing at the train station. It was a great way to end our trip.

Hey, Redheel Girl! We're on the same cruise. You should drop into the Roll Call thread for this cruise if you haven't done so already (link in my signature). They've arranged a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet onboard; details are posted on the thread (RSVP requested).

We're catching the train to SEA, and thus are now tackling the same problem you've mentioned, but found a different solution than renting a car: We're also in a suite, so we'll probably take breakfast at Cagney's to disembark a little later than the rest of the crowd. My fiance has called around and found a hotel that will allow us to check all our bags with them for the day (let me know if you want the hotel info). We'll probably spend a little while strolling around town, taking a tour, grabbing lunch, then hop the train.

If you change your mind about renting a car and decide to return to the train, let me know! Perhaps the five of us (our 8 month old included) can meet up for a tour or coffee or something. :)

We reserved a one-way rental with Hertz from the Vancouver Amtrak Station to SEATAC last September after our cruise on the Coral Princess. The cab ride from the pier to the train station cost CAD$10 (The driver seemed upset that we were only going to the train station). The car was ready and waiting. We used the car's GPS, but I think it took us the long way. There weren't that many cars at the border crossing, but nothing was moving very fast. After a little over an hour wait, the line of cars started to move faster. We were through the crossing in only a few minutes after that -- don't know what the holdup was. Got into Seattle with plenty of time left to stroll Pike's Market and see the Space Needle. Tried to use the GPS to get us into SEATAC, but it really messed this up. Shut it off and followed the signs and had no more problems. Made our 6:00pm flight with no trouble at all. Will definitely do this again.

Forgive me for forgetting the details, but if time isn't a big issue once you get across the border, we really enjoyed getting off I-5 and following the highway that follows the coastline. Seems like we left I-5 at Bellingham? anyway, it was a beautiful but windy road. We stopped and had a wonderful lunch at a little place overlooking the Pacific. Again, sorry for th lack of details...it was five or six years ago.

Hi Alikaalex, I finally did get on the roll call thread. It is interesting that your September 28th 2007 "Pearl" Cabin 9504 Owners Suite Was the day we returned from Vancouver to San Pedro on the 28th in Owner Suite 9004. What day are you returning on the Coast Starlight? We will be on the May 3 train # 11. I think I will stick with the Car Rental and spend a little more time in Seattle. I would love to meet and have coffee.

Was it difficult to get a Cab from Canada Place? We have a Hertz Car but they are having us take a cab to Granville Place and we have to get a receipt and they will pay $15 towards the cab. Strange part of this rental is that they are requiring us to return the car on 8th street in Seattle by 3:45 pm. This is why I was concerned about the time it takes to drive and go through Customs. Like you I wanted to go to Pikes Place and look around. i think that it is great how so many good suggestions come from all of the Cruise Critic people. You are all so helpful.

I just wanted to add one thing. When we took the Cascades train we passed some beautiful towns. One that stuck out in my mind and I vowed to return to some day was called White Rock. I'm going from memory here. I know there was a huge white rock there and the town was named after it. The area looked so quaint. If you have time, I'd detour to see it.

Forgive me for forgetting the details, but if time isn't a big issue once you get across the border, we really enjoyed getting off I-5 and following the highway that follows the coastline. Seems like we left I-5 at Bellingham? anyway, it was a beautiful but windy road. We stopped and had a wonderful lunch at a little place overlooking the Pacific. Again, sorry for th lack of details...it was five or six years ago.

I got your back on the details. Chuckanut Drive/State Route 11 is what Clay is talking about. Here's a website that has a list of the great places to eat along it. Between myself and several friends, someone has tried every place on the list, all excellent. http://www.chuckanutdrive.com/

Absolutely stunning drive! And if you're feeling really good about time, you can extend your leisurely drive over to the Deception Pass Bridge and Whidbey Island for some more great scenery and small shops. Then take the ferry at the south end of Whidbey to Mukilteo and back to I-5 and Seattle.

Archived