Do the laundry rooms have soap and dryer sheets?

BoPippy

They do, but it's like $2 for detergent (don't remember dryer sheets), but we brought our own as well. I pre-measured and put each in a ziploc sandwich bag. Then I put all the bags into a gallon ziploc and labeled the bag w/a sharpie in case someone thought it was something else.

They have a machine with detergent and with dryer sheets available. But the dryer sheets I would bring in a ziploc, since they are rather inexpensive at home. We usually find a dollar store and buy a bit of detergent before we board the ship. And we bring a bar of sunlight laundry detergent if we need for the sink. I think the closest thing in the US is called Fels Naptha or something like that.

On Carnival ships they have powder detergent and liquid softener that has to be put in at the proper moment.

I use the detergent (Tide) and bring my own dryer sheets so I don't have to run back down there during the wash cycle.

Depends on the cruise line. Folks have responded for Carnival. I don't know about Princess. Royal Caribbean doesn't provide public laundry facilities.

I responded specifically for Princess since the OP is sailing on Princess.

was on the carnival splendor last oct. yes, they have 3 laundry rooms with 3 washers and 6 dryers along with machine to buy soap and dryer sheets. brought our own along with a roll of quarters. think it was $2 to wash and $2 to dry. depending how long cruise is (ours was 16 days) the self laundry was one of the busiest places. after shore excursions, sea days everyone wanted to wash. the hours were 8am to 10pm. good luck and have a great cruise!

I was on a Holland America cruise and was surprised to find front loaded machines that dispensed detergent for free. I used my own since I need fragrance free but would have brought my HE variety if I had known.

Regent also has free laundry with very upscale washing machines and dryers. The BIG question is. . . . why do you want to do laundry when you are on vacation?

Well, I can't answer for BoPippy, but for myself: No one who I know, including me, "wants" to do laundry on vacation. But if it's a choice between packing an extra suitcase and throwing in a few loads of laundry throughout a trip, we'll opt for the "bring less stuff, do a bit of laundry" option. I usually do laundry on vacation because my DH does all of it the rest of the time. He does a good job too. I put clothes and linens in the appropriate laundry bins and magically, a pile of folded or hung up items appears. I figure it's the least I can do to give him a break on vacation. We don't use the ship's (or hotel/resort's) laundry options because they rarely offer the options we need and prefer. We use dye- and perfume-free laundry soap and softener, have specific brands we prefer, and have many items that must be hung to dry (for warm weather travel particularly). As well, we don't consider most laundry fees particularly "reasonable" (although we understand that many people do). We also, I must confess, both get pretty sweaty in warmer climates and need to have clean clothes at hand.

Add in the cost of checking bags with the airlines, the fact that we both have physical disabilities that make hauling extra poundage a challenge, and that cruising requires a more variable wardrobe for the different types of clothing required (e.g., pool deck = swimsuit with coverup or shorts and shirt; dinner = nice outfit; formal night = even nicer outfit with appropriate accessories) and the number and weight of suitcases can easily get out of hand. Honestly, I don't "want" to do laundry on vacation, but it's not that big a deal for me either. For those who say "Not a chance in hell I'm doing laundry on vacation," no problem. That's why there are options.

beachchick

Like Beachchick, I don't want to do laundry....but prefer a ship with a self serve laundry when that's available.

I have sensitive/reactive skin. Things get really, really ugly when my skin meets anything not washed in hypoallergenic detergent.

My next cruise is on a ship/cabin that includes complementary laundry service. Great perk, for most people. Instead, I'll pack extra clothing, and liquid detergent to wash some things by hand. <shrug>

we all have our own opinions to do laundry or not. i was away from home for 24 days, 17 of those days on the carnival splendor. weight limit was 50lbs for luggage and cost was $25 each bag, we had 2 each. was my first trip to europe, went crazy buying souvaniers for me and family. so weight and space had a lot to do with how much clothes i brought along with my booze and mixers and makeup stuff and halloween outfit. so had to wash clothes which i did twice during sea days. didn't want to have 3 weeks of dirty stinky clothes! got back home to california with all and not having to pay for extra weight in bags. have a great time wherever you go

• 3 weeks later...

I hope everyone that does laundry,has better luck than we did on the Sea Princess.Wash worked fine,but both dryers just blew cold air for 40 min each,no matter what i did.Called for service and never repaired!So just hung bathing suit and underwear,etc on our balcony.

Thank goodness we had plenty of clothes and this only was a problem one afternoon.If u had an inside room,i guess u would have to run to another floor in the ship.:(

I've never minded doing laundry on vacation---it's not as if I'm pounding my clothes on rocks or something! Load the machine, go to the pool, come back, put in dryer, go back to the pool....it's not the chore that some feel it is!!!! I like going places that have self-service laundry! I don't have to bring as much, and I can go home with fewer dirty clothes to wash at home!

NCL has self-serve laundry rooms (at least Dawn did), and there were vending machines for detergent and softener (can't remember if they were sheets or liquid). Anyway I brought my own and passed time during a late-night wash by reading athe book I'd brought along. Oh, and there are irons/ironing boards in the laundry rooms.

NCL did offer the "anything you can stuff into a bag" special for $15 about 2/3 of the way through our 11-day cruise.

NCL has self-serve laundry rooms (at least Dawn did), and there were vending machines for detergent and softener (can't remember if they were sheets or liquid). Anyway I brought my own and passed time during a late-night wash by reading athe book I'd brought along. Oh, and there are irons/ironing boards in the laundry rooms.

NCL did offer the "anything you can stuff into a bag" special for $15 about 2/3 of the way through our 11-day cruise.

No more self-service laundry rooms on NCL. :(

If there is a soap dispenser and/or a change machine available, I just assume they'll be broken, and bring my own rolls of quarters and two/three ziplocs with powder detergent in them.

I agree with other posters that I'd rather do a couple loads of laundry on a long cruise, than bring enough clothes to last the entire trip. It's not that big a deal to take a quick break from whatever you're doing on a sea day to hit the laundry room.

We'll be spending four days in Rome, followed by a 12 day cruise, in the fall, so I know already that I'll be visiting the laundry facilities at least once, and maybe twice, on the ship.

Archived