Seasickness & Cabin location

I have two daughters who will be going on thier first cruise with us. Both of them get car sick easily, one VERY sensitive to motion. They are 18 and 26. We are on deck 2 towards the front of the ship. My question is, is this a bad location if prone to sea sickness?? If so, is there anyway to change location this late?

Also, I heard taking ginger pills is good for seasickness. What is the dosage on these? Any other good tips for seasickness. If they take the dramamine they will both be too sleepy to enjoy anything.

Not sure how 'bouncy' it will be in May in the Bahamas. I have only gotten sick once and it was on our first cruise to the Caribbean, we were following a hurricane and I sat in our OV and watched the huge waves. Don't think I have ever been that sick befor or since.

Ok, I gotta ask....they get motion sickness easily and they want to go on a cruise....:eek:?

I've always heard the best location is mid-ship (cabin middle of the ship and middle of the ship deck wise). That will have the least movement. Deck 2 in the front of the boat....you will feel more in rough seas.

But really, if they are that sensitive to motion it won't matter where they are. I really don't think the difference it that much.

Good luck!!!!

They have been wanting to go on a cruise for forever. We warned them. The youngest daughter I am not too worried about, but the older one I am afraid will be sick the whole time. I am just looking for things to do to help her. But it is her money and she wants to do it.

Take along plenty of Bonine. You can buy it over the counter. I'm very prone to seasickness and use this on every cruise. No side effects for me. Start taking it the night before you get on the ship and take one or two every day.

Hope it works for her.

I don't personally get sea sick. However, I have noticed many cruisers using the patch. Also, I have read on these boards that ginger tablets work well. I would suggest she talk to her doctor and see what he recommends. I am sure she will enjoy her cruise but I would take care of it before you leave.

Have them talk to their doctor for what will work best for them.. Since they are so sensitive, they will need to take whatever ALL THE TIME...prevention is the key. Once they start feeling ill, it will take forever to get over it! There are some non-drowsy formulas! Talk to a doctor!

I also recommend Bonine. Nothing else worked for me.

I buy it in WalMart in 16 count chewable tablets in a box. I start taking them the day before I cruise and on board, 1 each morning and 1 each night. I do this every single day of the cruise.

After I get off of her, I take the same dose for one day when I am flying home.

I have never had a day of sea sickness or had the rocky feeling after getting off of a cruise since going on Bonine.

Ask your Pharmacist what they think. ;)

EDIT:

The Bonine never makes me tired and I do have a drink or two while on them.

I also used to only cruise mid ship and the lower decks, now I cruise any Deck on the ship

and have no problem at all

Is Bonine the brand name for meclazine? If so, it is also the less drowsy version of Dramamine. I get Meclazine at Kaiser for about $7.00 for 100 tablets, last forever! My bottle says to take one per day. I always take one every night before bed, and I don't have any problem. I also start taking it the day before the cruise. It can make you a little spacy, so that's why I take it at night. But it's always good to consult your doctor.

I suffer from motion sickness as well. After 21 cruises, my remedy is to take ginger tablets from two weeks before I leave, through the cruise every day. I also take one Bonine the night before boarding (it lasts appromately 24 hours) - by then I have my sea legs.

I try to book mid-ship, but have been in the very back and near the front and with my method have been fine. In the beginning I got seasick twice and it was NOT fun.

Good luck to your daughters.

I also suffer badly from motion sickness and swear by ginger capsules. Be sure to get the 100% ginger root capsules at a health food store and follow the instructions on the bottle. I've found no need to take them in advance as they seem to work within 30 minutes of taking them. I've only had cabins at the front of the ship but on Deck 10 so I can't say if there is any more motion on Deck 2 but being at the front of the ship hasn't felt any different than anywhere else on the ship to me.

em

Perhaps there is a hidden blessing in them suffering motion sickness when traveling in a car. You can have them take a ginger tablet, hop in the car and see if they are effective. If the ginger doesn't do the trick you can try the meclizine.

RCCL has "free" Bonine at the Guests Relations desk if you need them and there is usually some for sale in one of the ships retail stores. My wife uses the "Sea Bands" with a lot of success both flying and onboard ship and we have gone through some 24' waves!!!

We usually have cabins mid-ship and are trying an aft cabin in 2 weeks...so we will see if there is a difference. I have noticed a bit more motion in the front of the ship while in the theatre.

People often ask us about this and how I expain the best place on the ship to be if this is a problem is to do this....

Hold out your hand like your going to place it over your heart, move your hand like a ship in the waves, the lower middle part of your hand has the least movement. You down't want to be forward or aft and it seems there would be an advantage of being on a lower deck so choose an inside cabin so they can't see the waves. Kids that age would love the total darkness as well. :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

They may also want to look into the pressure bands.(psi bands) Have heard they work from some folks as good as the meds. I don't know if hubby & I will experience any sickness as we have never cruised (and don't get motion sick on land) but I am planning on taking the bands as well as some Bonine and possibly some ginger too. Figure better prepared than not. Am hoping the bands do the job as I would prefer not to use meds if not needed.

My sister gets car sick even when she is driving. We went on a cruise and she used the scopolamine patch (prescribed by her physician). You wear it behind your ear and it lasts 3-5 days. She had no issues with sea sickness at all. Good Luck!

RCCL has "free" Bonine at the Guests Relations desk if you need them and there is usually some for sale in one of the ships retail stores. My wife uses the "Sea Bands" with a lot of success both flying and onboard ship and we have gone through some 24' waves!!!

I wouldn't count on getting Bonine free on board. On my last 4 or 5 RCI cruises they didn't give them away at the Purser's desk. Maybe it depends on the ship but I always buy them at home to make sure I have plenty.

The lowest deck midship will have the least motion. Wave height can be anything, but usually calmer by May. I have used patch, pills, and bands. The patch (by prescription only) leaves me extremely dry mouth. The bands do a fairly good job, and the pills help a lot. Once I didn't feel good, our butler suggested I eat a green apple. I thought he was crazy, but it actually helped me within the hour. Good luck on your cruise and let us know how it turns out!

Royal Caribbean has Meclazine tablets free in the infirmary. The ones they give there are to be taken only one every twelve hours. The nurse told Hubby that if they don't work in two days to come back for an injection.

Actually I was the one who was seasick--too seasick to go to the infirmary myself. It was our first cruise on the ninth deck. I think low decks such as Deck Two are far more stable. I was never seasick before in twenty cruises.

The Meclazine did make it hard for me to think, I must admit. I had so much difficulty figuring out tips that Hubby had to do it. I definitely do NOT advise drinking alcoholic beverages with Meclazine. Also I believe alcoholic drinks can worsen seasickness.

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise and that no one has any trouble with seasickness on your cruise.

I swear by the Bonine...I started taking two tablets two days before the cruise and continued to take two tablets EVERYDAY(even if you think you dont need them)...I had no problems on a bouncy houseboat or my first cruise last January...;)

Archived