Thoughts on American?

JBert

Here's the back story.

My wife and I are sailing on Freedom Of The Seas on May 30, 2009 out of Miami, FL. We had origonially booked our airfare through RCCL, but it was extremely $$. We ended up canceling it, with the hope of finding cheaper airfare on our own. We're flying from Hartford, CT to Miami, FL.

The big peeve my wife has is staying to direct flights, which reduces the stress of missing connectors and loosing luggage *knock on wood*. We want to fly down May 29, 2009 in the morning and return to Hartford on June 6.

After playing detective today, I was able to find roundtrip, non-stop airfare for the both of us for $420 done.

Anyone have any experience with American? We usually fly Southwest, but can't find a direct flight on the days we want going down.

We have flown AA a few times in recent years, and find them to be OK--no complaints about them at all. Southwest is our favorite, though. So, I understand.

If you go to www.kayak.com and look up your flights, you may be able to find the percentage of on time departures for those particular flights. You are smart to fly down early, too. Hope you and your wife have a great time and cruise!

I'm sure you'll be fine. The flight is on one of AA's 737s, which for the most part are pretty new and average or a little above for the industry in terms of passenger comfort etc.

Note however that their nonstop leaves BDL at 6 AM (arrives in MIA at 9) so you'll need to make it a very early start.

Note however that their nonstop leaves BDL at 6 AM (arrives in MIA at 9) so you'll need to make it a very early start.
The times are probably the least good thing about these flights. But as you're flying a day early, you could treat 29 May as a "chill out in Miami" day after that early start.

And on the way back, you might want to have a look at whether you can check-in for the flight from the ship and get them to take your bags - some cruise lines have a scheme for this - so that you are unencumbered by your bags for the day. Then you could go and spend more time in/around Miami before heading off to the airport.

I have had no real problems with flying AA, but I get a bit pampered by them so it's not necessarily a reliable indicator.

We primarily fly American Airlines since it is the primary airline carrier where we live. If you found a great price and flight with them I would fly them. Like other USA based carriers over the years they have cut back on the various amenities offered to its passengers.

Your approach is a good one to fly in the day before your cruise.

When you book your flight be sure to do the seat assignments at the same time.

You can easily book the flight on the aa.com web site or you can call their toll free number but they will charge you a slightly higher fee for booking it yourself.

Prices seem to change everyday so I would not wait to book this as the price could be different (up or down) if you wait but since you are happy with the price the risk would be that it goes up.

Good luck.

Keith

I fly American on a regular basis and have found them to be pretty good about things compared to other legacy carriers. Some of their planes are older, particularly the MD80s and I have had my share of maintenance issues, but they do tend to get me where I need to go timely and I always have to connect. One number I always keep on my cell phone is their rebooking number in the event of problems (800-446-7834) Trying to do it at the airport is a pain with the lines and such.

The still give you a free soda in coach, but nothing to eat. The do charge you to check bags, so plan on paying $40 per person for 2 checked bags. Miami is one of their bigger hubs so getting there on AA is pretty easy even if your flights are delayed or messed up, there are always other routes to take. We will be flying American to San Juan next week for our cruise.

For non-stop I would say it's worth it. We flew with them from Detroit to San Juan with a connection in Miami. High winds in Detroit messed up our departure, so needless to say we missed our connection by 15 minutes (I understand, there were only 10 of us connecting so they couldn't hold the plane). There was no one working the desk they told us to go to when we got there, one person did finally show up, but they were going back & forth with the first person in line for over 20 minutes, so my dad ended up running from gate to gate to get someone to get us tickets for the next flight our TA recommended. Long story short, the customer service was no helpful, we took an extra connection to make the ship, and the flight they put our luggage on was delayed so long it didn't make the ship, and our TA spent many hours making sure it got on a plane to Aruba to meet us. The actual plane service was at least average, and I would fly with them again, I would just really try for non-stop or convince my parents that flying in the day before is essential! :)

The departure times aren't an issue. We are flying down a day early to relax and go to a meeting in Miam - renting a car, the whole nine yardsi. We also live 4 miles down down the road from Bradley Intl, which is a perk.

Going home, the flight is at 7. My wife wants to hit up Miami Ink after the trip to possibly get some more work done on her tat.

Thanks for the info about checking in from the ship and sending the luggage over. It will definitely make things a lot easier.

Some of their planes are older, particularly the MD80s and I have had my share of maintenance issues, but they do tend to get me where I need to go timely and I always have to connect.

AA "fleet roadmap" will replace Mad Dogs with 737's and other aircraft over the next 5 years or so.

I fly AA most of the time; they are on par with any of the other major carriers. They aren't the best or the worst, but they are consistent. It's pretty rare that I have a serious flight delay on AA; with UA and NW for example, "on time" is a nice surprise!

What worries me is AA pilots threatening AA management with delaying flights or whatever else they may have up their sleeves as early as this summer. They say it is aimed at management, not passengers. But guess who will experience the most discomfort from whatever they pull?

.................sorry, had to vent. :mad:

JBert - I think you will be fine flying a day ahead on a nonstop. ;)

We flew American to and from Rome last year, and the Rome departure was extremely well-organized. In the Chicago airport, somehow their VIP coordinator picked us and another passenger up, and we sailed through everything in record time. I still don't know how that happened, but it was nice!

A few years back, DD flew roundtrip London-Houston at least once a year. She started using other carriers due to an occaisional "crew from hell". We flew them to the West Coast and London many times before we got that crew, but when we did, we had used points to upgrade to FC rather than pay for coach. BIG error one way, the other way was fine.

DW used them a few years ago on a flight to Peru, and there was NOTHING to eat! Pack a lunch ) remember Beverly Hillbillys?:D) and take the non-stop. The pilots are good, and most of the cabin attendents.

A few years back, DD flew roundtrip London-Houston at least once a year. She started using other carriers due to an occaisional "crew from hell".

I would think that the London-Houston flight would have been on Continental, not AA. Or, did she take AA to DFW and then connect to IAH???

This seems to be one of those posts that will go on and on and on.

I'm thinking by now that the OP has made a decision by now.

I think the bottom line is that if you have found a direct flight with American Airlines at a good price then I would book it.

As someones who has flown on American Airlines for over 20 years and has flown on literally 100's of their flights I will tell you that they are fine to fly. Yes, their service is not like it used to be as is the case for most USA airlines. And many planes are getting older. And like any airline sometimes things go wrong. For example out of 100's of flights for the first time last year two of our bags were put on the wrong plane and it took us a day to get them back. But, in general, American does an adequate job and to me just as good as the other USA airlines. Again, no airline is perfect. Friends of ours just came back on a Singapore Airlline Flight and their reservations had been all messed up by an airline that is ranked in the top couple by most folks. Things do happen.

For a very shorthaul flight I am fine with Southwest Airlines and think they do a nice job.

But, if I was in your shoes, and was flying to Florida and got a good price and a direct flight with American Airlienes I would have no reservations at all about choosing them.

If JBert i(the OP) is still reading this thread could you please let us all know if you need any additonal input on your questions.

Keith

Keith (and everyone else)-

Thanks for the input!

I don't ever remember flying AA - I was just looking for any general thoughts or comments on the airline/service etc.

I'll be heading over to the ticket counter on my break today to book the airfare- seems like a good enough deal.

I just booked AA from ORD to MIA nonstop in February, with return on Delta with a stop in Atlanta then onto ORD. 3 of us for $719. I thought that was pretty good. All the other prices I found were above $300 before taxes and fees. I'm happy!! We fly in the day before so we should be good. Need to do that living in WI and traveling in February!! I've never flown either of these airlines. We usually use Midwest, they don't go to MIA.:(

I would think that the London-Houston flight would have been on Continental, not AA. Or, did she take AA to DFW and then connect to IAH???

I think she spent a few days in Dallas (they had lived there before Son-in-law's assinment overseas) and then went to Houston and South Padre to visit parents and grandparents. When we visited, our best connections were AA from McAllen, Tx through Dallas then non-stop to London.

Our first experience with a crew-from-H---, was on a domestic first class flight, NO service until enough time had passed for SW to give and sell beverages and dispense snacks to everyone.

Unfortunately, the last couple of years AA has had a poor record of on-time, lost luggage and maintenance problems.

I can overlook the occaisional bad service, but----.:(

Unfortunately, the last couple of years AA has had a poor record of on-time, lost luggage and maintenance problems.

I can overlook the occaisional bad service, but----.:(

And I've had the opposite. My flights on American the last few years have been great. But among my family we've had worse service and more flights delayed on Southwest than any other airline.

I fly AA (and partners) a lot of miles (over 100,00 per year). I have STELLAR service with AA. They actually CARE that things go right. Some of that stellar service could be a result of my status on AA.

BUT I insist that my employees also fly AA when possible. I hear VERY few complaints and most of them fly less than 10,000 miles per year. I haven't heard of anyone loosing their luggage for a couple of years. And we have lots of transits through JFK.

I won't get on a Southwest plane if YOU paid for the ticket. I used to fly America West quite a bit. After the merger, I won't give my money to US Air. Don't fly to Delta, NW or Continental destinations much and their FF programs are pretty stingy. And poor United-flew them extensively in the 70's. Sad to see them so beaten down.

And I've had the opposite. My flights on American the last few years have been great. But among my family we've had worse service and more flights delayed on Southwest than any other airline.

There you go again.....another Southwest Basher!!;)

Be careful, or we'll have the usual "Southwest is Wonderful" chorus in response.:rolleyes:

Archived