What is a cruise like with a 1 year old??

lisascott207

We are leaving for a short "practice" cruise aboard RCI's Monarch of the Sea's with our active/well-behaved 15 MO son. We stop in Nassau and Coco Cay, which we have both visited in the past pre-baby. I am very excited but want to know what to expect. Can anyone post their experiences with cruising w/a baby/toddler. What did you do onboard since the pool and nightlife are out? I think DH and I will take turns being in the room during naptime while the other hangs out by the pool. I am not willing to use the in-cabin babysitting as it makes me uneasy so we will be going to bed early I guess.

Another question I have is can you take the baby to the lounge at all? We are not big drinkers, but do enjoy getting a drink or two and watching the sunset. Are they non-smoking?

I just want to prepare myself so I wont be disappointed. I love to cruise and know that this experience will be completely different. If I know what to expect w/in reason I think we will have a blast. I am thrilled to take our little guy on his 1st cruise and plan to do many more!! Thanks for your info:)

Lisa

The cruise sure isn't the same, that's for sure!!!!! We took our daughter on her first cruise when she was at the same exact age....she's now

4 1/2.

The cruise was fun but since she was too young to go into the pool or kids camp there was only so much we could do....just not the same from when it was just dh and I and took some getting use to. We went with my in-laws so a couple of nights they offered to watch her so we could go have a cocktail and unwind by ourselves.

We hung at the pool with her and got chairs under the overhang in the shade but toward the area unshaded we could push them in the sun when we wanted to get some sun. She would nap in her stroller and we would just hang out and play, walk around the ship, shore excursions (tours around an island or just walk around town).

At night she would be in her stroller and she would fall asleep. We really didn't worry about bedtime schedules on the cruise but she is pretty much a creature of habit and would fall asleep anywhere when it got to bedtime.

YES!!!! We did bring her to the lounge (Schooner Bar). Prior to dinner we would all meet for cocktails and she would play in this wooden boat they had in the Schooner Bar. I can't remember if smoking was permitted but I don't think so. If it was we would sit in an area away from the smoke.

If there is smoking, grab a cocktail and head outside. We would do that and sit in an area by ourselves so our daughter had a lot of room to run around on deck w/out disturbing anyone.

She was fascinated with everything on the cruise ship so it didn't take much to entertain her. The staff also gives extra attention to the little ones which helps as well. Have fun!!!!! Our daughter now asks us when we are going back on the cruise ship....Your son will have a blast!!!!

You're right--it won't be the same as cruising as a couple...you'll be doing pretty much the same stuff that you'd do at home, except you'll be in warm weather on a ship!

Coco Cay will be a great day with your son...it's a beach day, and you can come and go as you please. Many folks will bring bucket, shovel, etc... for your child to play with on the beach. The water is clear and calm, so splashing about is fun, too.

There are non-smoking bars on the ships...yes, you can bring your child with you, or you can order a drink and take it to an outside area, if you like.

Many children love the shows, even if they don't really understand it---lots of color and motion, music and stuff....the shows are short, so he should be able to enjoy that with you! No need to miss out on the shows!!!

If you haven't booked your cabin yet, consider a balcony--that will give you and hubby someplace to sit while your son is sleeping...and at night, it can be most romantic!

Our DD was 14 months when she took her first cruise and had a blast! We did many laps around the ship - she was fascinated by the water and the sliding doors! I actually quite enjoyed napping with her in the afternoon and going to bed early(ish) at night - certainly never get a chance to do that at home!

We went to the production shows with her and just got seats toward the back so we could leave if needed. She loved the singing and dancing. She also loved going to the lounge in the day when it was quiet - we would relax with a drink while she had a ball wandering around and checking out the dance floor!

The only hard thing for us was dining. It was just too long to sit and wait for food, even though she is very good and used to eating out. We ate in the buffet mostly, which worked out fine as then we could sample everything! The other problem was the shower - she HATED it and would cling to me screaming. Never even considered this pre-cruise, but if your little one isn't used to showers maybe start practicing!

We definitely missed out on a lot of the stuff we would have done had we not had DD. However, the memories we gained instead are just priceless - especially the fact that she learned to walk onboard! You will have a great time!

I am a stay at home Dad, so I may have a different perspective on some things. If these work for you, great.

My wife and I found that age to be the most difficult. After they start walking and before they can go to or can handle the children's program is a very difficult period, in my opinion. My wife and I have decided to just pass on cruises during this timeframe.

In your room, make them clear the fridge. You can then use for formula, water, etc. Actually get down on the floor (I'm really serious) and crawl around and look for problems.Take some of the plastic plug covers for baby proofing. Make sure you close the bathroom door every time, the one you don't will result in them banging their fingers, and those doors are heavy. You can also find one of the meeting rooms that typically aren't in use much, do a quick and dirty child-proofing, shove the furniture to the side, and give them some time to run free and play with their toys. It also gives you the ability to not have to be on them every second.

A portable DVD player is manna from heaven. If you don't have one, spend the $150 bucks. It will be worth it! If you can get them to leave head phones on, you are really golden. Remember to take an extension cord.

My son loved the hallways. I would just let him wander where he went and followed along. Not many places for him to run off. The absolute top decks can sometimes be less crowded, but he really didn't like the wind, so that was limited.

Meals can be tough. Try setting your own pace. If they can handle things for a half hour, and you must have dessert, start there. If the waiter balks, get another.

Another thing that worked for me is to take the toddler with you at the start of the cruise when you make your request for a four top. Let them run a little free and tell the maitre'd that you are sure that the other guests will appreciate his help. You'll get the table. Also ask for a female server/waitress. We have found that while guys will typically work around the kids, the women will usually help keep the kid occupied.

In my opinion, the most important thing is to not stress about what other passengers think about your child. Do your best to be courteous, but if someone still gives the tsk tsk treatment, F(orget) them.

I took my twin 13 month-olds on their first cruise by myself. Certainly it's more work than cruises pre-baby, but LOTS less work than at home (unless you happen to have someone cooking all your meals and cleaning your room at home).

I found the dining room easiest because I didn't have to juggle plates along with toddlers. Plus, it was really nice to be served and just enjoy the time with my girls, so we did all meals in the dining room. I brought clip-on toys to attach to the high chair so I didn't have to keep crawling on the floor looking for dropped toys. My girls had a lot of fun trying new things - there was tons that worked for them to eat. Be ready for everyone wanting to hold your child - so many of them have left kids at home that they really miss - I did't mind it at all and very often the staff would take a walk around the dining room with one of my girls.

Mine did enjoy the shows. As the previous poster said, we just sat in the back and left when anyone got antsy. We also would go to the disco or a show room before it opened and I'd let the girls run wild. A ship is nice because the tables all have rounded edges, so it's pretty toddler friendly. We also would go dancing every night either before or after dinner. We'd just stay off to the side, but my toddlers LOVED it.

I've always taken my girls into the lounges to listen to music and dance - we just find an empty corner so we don't bother anyone who's trying to have adult time, and I don't let my tots run around where there are other people.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Some great advice from others! And to say it again, don't have unrealistic expectations, know that it will not be like "pre" baby. Our first "post" baby cruise, my little one was about 16 months old. It is better now that he is over two but I wouldn't use that as a reason not to cruise. I have some good suggestions that you can take a look at, click below. I also like what "ceilidh1" said about napping in the afternoon and going to bed early at night - I loved that! NEVER can do it at home, it made it really feel like a relaxing vacation. Have fun!

thanks for asking this!

we are cruising with ds right after his 1st birthday and while we are excited, we are also interested to see how it goes, he he!!

here is a packing list I got from somewhere that has some great suggestions to get you started with packing!

also get the Huggies sun disk...they will tell you when it is time to reapply sunblock!!!

have fun!

cruise packing list[1].pdf

We are returning from an eight night cruise on RCL Independence of the Seas. We had our 8 year old and 15 month, both boys. We had the time of our lives! We traveled with 2 other families all with boys, but they were all old enough for the Adventure Ocean, all but our 15 month old.

We made the decision after much research to use the babysitting service. I was very nervous as we don't use babysitters at home even. I have to say without hesitation, it was the best decision we made for us and our 15 month old! The service was awesome, we were able to have the same sitter the entire cruise, we used her each night from 7-11ish at night. She would pick our son up from us in the dinning room and then take him for a walk on the inside decks and then to our room to sleep. She also took him to a nighttime story hour they do in the Adventure Ocean area. I can not stress how happy we were to have this service!

As for the daytime, we were able to walk our son on deck during his naptime in his stroller and have him nap for an hour or two in his stroller on the pool deck, allowing us to stay out with our older son. Wherever we went on the boat, our 15 month old was the center of attention, he received the most attention out of our entire group and ate it up. I can not stress how great it was for a family vacation.

I would say however, it would not have been so great without the babysitting service!

Anna

Thanks for your stories..I have this fear of using the babysitting service but who knows once we get there! I am not too sure if my son would nap in the stroller, one can hope though. He is a light sleeper (I totally sound like a 1st time mom). I know once another comes along, then things will change!

I love hearing about people's experiences. Did the fact that you couldn't use the pool affect your vacation? Did anyone bring a blow up pool? I am thinking of getting the small duck pool that everyone raves about on this board. DS is very active and doesn't sit still long so I dont even know if he would sit in it! This would be great for 6-12MO though!

In March we took our then 13 month old and we had a wonderful time. I brought the inflatable pool and never used it but other people rave about it but we were on the IOS which has a baby splash pool. Dining was a challenge we did late dinner only because our group chose it and we were the only ones with a child. Also due to the time difference it actually kept him close to his regular schedule. We did have a male waiter who was not as good as the female for entertaining. We asked for his food to be brought out first and we asked for applesauce. After the first couple of nights his food was waiting when we walked in!;) By desert he was fussy/bored and just wanted out of his chair so since we had 2 sets of grandparents/aunts/cousins and the dining room staff fighting over who could walk around with him it was not a problem. He loved it and all the tables around us loved him! He had his picture taken by everyone in our dining area!:D It was different cruising with a DS but your life back at home is too! My recommendation take a grandparent!! :eek:

Also do look carefully at the room when you arrive we had almonds, pins, glasses, trash etc. all on the floor around the bed & couch. They did a horrible job cleaning. We also had problems with them cleaning our room they would come while DS was napping and not come back until late that night and with diapers in the room it was aggravating. I did use the diaper plastic bags so that is a must to bring. I asked where there was a big trash can I could take them to and my room steward said he would take care of it and never told me where I could take them!:mad: Other than that it was a wonderful vacation and I would do it again!

Thanks for your stories..I have this fear of using the babysitting service but who knows once we get there! I am not too sure if my son would nap in the stroller, one can hope though. He is a light sleeper (I totally sound like a 1st time mom). I know once another comes along, then things will change!

I love hearing about people's experiences. Did the fact that you couldn't use the pool affect your vacation? Did anyone bring a blow up pool? I am thinking of getting the small duck pool that everyone raves about on this board. DS is very active and doesn't sit still long so I dont even know if he would sit in it! This would be great for 6-12MO though!

We love the duck pool! We used it as a pool on the lido deck, as a bathtub in cabin and even as a "playpen" dry with some toys in it on the lido deck between our chairs in the shade. Also, your son will be so taken aback by all that is going in around him...music, people, excitement that he may just pass right out in his stroller for you from the sheer exhaustion of it all. Everything will be a new adventure for him. At that age, we walked all around the ship alot exploring each area. We would go to an empty lounge during the day and toss around a blow-up beach ball. The disco is also a nice place during the day too since he can chase the lights around. If he enjoys music and dancing, take him near the poolside band and let him dance right along with the other adults (just keep him away from the obviously intoxicated ones). My DD had a blast doing that when she was one. We have video of her dancing along to the band. I just stood near her and made sure no one could dance into her or knock her over.

Have fun!!

We love the duck pool! We used it as a pool on the lido deck, as a bathtub in cabin and even as a "playpen" dry with some toys in it on the lido deck between our chairs in the shade. Also, your son will be so taken aback by all that is going in around him...music, people, excitement that he may just pass right out in his stroller for you from the sheer exhaustion of it all. Everything will be a new adventure for him. At that age, we walked all around the ship alot exploring each area. We would go to an empty lounge during the day and toss around a blow-up beach ball. The disco is also a nice place during the day too since he can chase the lights around. If he enjoys music and dancing, take him near the poolside band and let him dance right along with the other adults (just keep him away from the obviously intoxicated ones). My DD had a blast doing that when she was one. We have video of her dancing along to the band. I just stood near her and made sure no one could dance into her or knock her over.

Have fun!!

What is the duck pool? I have seen a couple posts mentioning this. Could someone post a photo or a link and where exactly do you use it as it seems it would take up a lot of room? I am taking my daughter (who will be 14 months) on Mariner this fall. Thanks!

I believe the duck pool is available at Target and Walmart. The brand is munchkin. Here is the link:

http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=168&section=prodCategories&ID=10000&li=1

I am still unsure if I will purchase it since my son, who is 15MO doesn't sit still for very long. I am pretty confident that he wouldn't sit in the tub while we are at the pool!

I believe the duck pool is available at Target and Walmart. The brand is munchkin. Here is the link:

http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=168&section=prodCategories&ID=10000&li=1

I am still unsure if I will purchase it since my son, who is 15MO doesn't sit still for very long. I am pretty confident that he wouldn't sit in the tub while we are at the pool!

What are you planning to do for bathing or does he do well in a shower? We use it for both, luckily my DD loves to play in the water and loves baths so she sat in it by the pool too at that age. One of the few times she would sit :rolleyes: She's afraid of the shower so we still bring it now that she is 3.

Archived