Top 5 must brings!

pacheco18

The single best response I've ever heard to the must-bring-on-a-cruise question is....

....birth control. ;)

Otherwise.... as long as you remember your prescriptions and eyeglasses, you can buy anything you forget. I've never bothered with stuff like the over-the-door shoe organizer, but I'm not a heavy packer. Ditto bungee cords for the balcony door, they seem like just something to take up room in your suitcase (and add to its weight, however little). I don't bother with power strips as I like to use my cruise to unplug and disappear - the folks back home will hear about my trip soon enough.

The best tip I can give you for any vacation you take is this: NEVER leave a phone # with your workplace. Do not EVER EVER EVER do this - if your boss is calling you, you're not on vacation, and none of us is *that* important. I turn off my cell phone as soon as I get to my cabin and put it in the safe. If someone has a problem and calls me, what am I supposed to do, out there in the middle of the ocean?

1 ipod I like to power walk every morning with it on.

2. walkie talkies plus extra batteries

3 aspirin and anything for a cold if need be

4. extra cash for tips

5. I bring my own bar of soap.

We never take an alarm clock on vacation. I am an early riser and

late night person.

I know one thing we have learn to pack less and less each time. Carnival

has washers and dryers we could use . We are going on the Oasis in Feb.

and no laundromats , darn.

We have friends that take 3 or 4 suitcases for 2 people. First of all I hate

having to deal with all that luggage and then having to pay the airlines

extra .

Rocketlady in OHIO Go BUCKS

An old habit I picked up in the Navy, which has always helped. Powerful, small flashlight. I know emergency systems are supposed to come on if ships lose power, but a small flashlight can also be useful if you really have a problem.

Good luck!

David

NCL GEM Nov 2009

Maybe not "must haves", but one thing we took on our first cruise and were pleasantly surprised was "nested" luggage. All our bags, when empty, fit inside the others so you only had the one large bag when done. That saves a lot of space in a small cabin!

The other thing I brought along that proved indispensable was a pack of 50 $1 bills; great for cabs, tips, drinks, more tips, etc.

Also, a lanyard for your spectacles. That can save you a lot of heartache in the long run!!

HAL Oosterdam

Alaskan Cruise August 2010

Air freshener! Heads up folks I found a great one! I was at Cracker Barrel today and they have little Yankee Candle air freshener sprays and there about the size of a Magic Marker. Will last at least 65 sprays and is Midsummers Night fragrance. Smells to me like a lovely fresh soap smell. pretty cheap at 3.99, but I'm impressed with the size of it. Should work very well in the tiny bathroom.

Have a great cruise!

Wonderful, refreshing ;) idea, hope our local Cracker Barrel still has some!

I totally agree these are little things but very useful.

I don't know why people take an alarm clock when they can get a wake-up call.

My list would include:

1. swimsuit

2. yellow highlighter for noting 'must-do's' in the Princess Patters

3. my 'holey' shoes for walking on the beach

4. sunglasses and sunscreen

5. list of family members' addresses to send postcards to

Clothespins - either to hang hand washables, or weight down the shower curtain (so it won't stick to you!)

Alternative: High power magnets.

- Takes less room in the suitcase.

- Everything is metal in the cabin, so you can hang stuff from the ceiling if you want (good for several ppl in one cabin w/ one bathroom!)

- Will still weight the shower curtain if you want... but can also completely pin it out of the way while still draining!

- Still works to keep the towel on plastic deck chairs since will still draw to each other even through the plastic.

Note: Not regular fridge magnets. High power.

Along with the great suggestions already mentioned, we like to bring a small package of Clorox wipes to wipe down the door knobs, handles and remotes and stuff to clean off the germs.

Instead of a night light, last time we took a battery operated scented candle. It not only gave us a soft light at night, it also added a fresh vanilla scent to the room.

1- Tickets, Passport and other needed papers to get on board, you don't have this you might as well turn around and go home.

2- Sense of humor and willingness to have a fun time, if you don't have this as well you might as well go home.

3- A positive attitude.

4- A lagre credit line for all that shopping you will do.

5- A healthy appetite for all that tasty food.

These all are essential

1. Pack a variety of clothing along with the appropriate shoes and bags. Take along a few outfits that can be mixed and matched or embellished with the addition of a gilt belt or string or pearls.

2. Make a list of accessories and pack them in individual zip lock bags.

3. The ideal way to pack clothes is to place them in laundry bags and hang them on a rail. Then just fold the bag and place in your suitcase along with the hanger. This way the clothes will not wrinkle and on the day you plan to wear an outfit if you notice any wrinkles just hang the clothes in the bathroom and steam out the wrinkles. If they do not iron out use the cruise ships laundry facilities.

4. Shoes, belts, and small bags are convenient when place in a shoe organizer. These come with two alternatives pockets and shelves.

5. To prevent landing on the ship with no clothes due to a mix up at the airport you must pack sets of clothes in two separate suitcases. Make two piles of clothes belonging to you and your traveling partner and pack each pile in separate suitcase.

6. Pack sensibly according to the climate and always carry essential medicines and your health file with you.

7. Even if the cruise ship is state of the art and has a shop on board there is no guarantee that they stock your kind of make up or medicines. So, pack a supply of make up, medications, and perfumes in non spill containers and pouches.

8. Label clearly all your belongings and carry with you a roll of duct tape and scissors for any small emergencies that may arise.

9. Pack sensible shoes and a light sweater or jacket to wear on the decks at night.

10. If the cruise has planned a theme night or masquerade dance it will be mentioned in the program. So, be prepared and pack a special outfit.

If you prepare for your cruise with care you will enjoy the experience. In case you have any questions always ask the cruise line office. In your carry-on bag pack cash, jewelry, medicines, travel documents, a list of what is in your checked in bag and your tickets. Be sure to take along a hat and wear your most charming smile.

location lloret de mar | location majorque | villa ibiza

1-two memory sticks (one backup kept in the safe, one in my purse) with password protection. It has photocopies of all my important info - passports, insurance policies, credit cards, birth certificate, driver's license, contact numbers, address/email/phone numbers for family and friends, airline flight info, cruise documents, hotel confirmations, contacts for next of kin, etc. No need for a large file of papers and it is safe from prying eyes because it is useless without the password. In case of emergency, the ship or a hospital have no problem letting you access a computer to open it to get the info.

2-sling bag for excursions/shopping. Mine is ideal for a beach towel, beverage bottle, camera, wallet, various other necessities, has a hidden section for credit card/cruise card, and room for a couple of fold up canvas bags in case we buy souveniers, etc. It is comfortable to wear (in front of you), safe from pick pockets, and leaves your hands free to shop, or to hold on with if you are climbing any of those thousands of stairs you often find when exploring!

3-camera/extra batteries/charger/extra memory card/binocular harness strap to carry it with (no pressure on your neck)

4-european power converter/plug adapter - can plug it into the extra european plug in the room - gives you a second plug in at the desk.

5-mini photo printer and package of 200 sheets of photo paper (good for our longer cruises where we are on board for over 2 weeks). You can print your photos on board and give to your table mates to take with them instead of having to try to email them to them once you get home. You can also print your photos you have taken of your room stewards, MDR wait staff, or favorite crew members to give to them. They then can send these home to their family - they seem to absolutely love to get current photos of them with their "clients". :)

I always bring a car freshner such as one of those trees, they are light weight and always make the cabins seem fresh. I also bring most of the other items listed by others except I never thought of a power strip. thanks for that advise.

Air freshener! Heads up folks I found a great one! I was at Cracker Barrel today and they have little Yankee Candle air freshener sprays and there about the size of a Magic Marker. Will last at least 65 sprays and is Midsummers Night fragrance. Smells to me like a lovely fresh soap smell. pretty cheap at 3.99, but I'm impressed with the size of it. Should work very well in the tiny bathroom.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks dulcimergirl, Just picked up one of the small Yankee Candle Sprays at Cracker Barrel today. The price went up to $ 4.99 :(, but it is about the size of a magic marker, totally compact. :cool: They came in about 6 different scents, I got the Clean Cotton one. I figured it could possibly be used also as mace. Easier for the police to find the good-smelling criminal! :rolleyes:

1-two memory sticks (one backup kept in the safe, one in my purse) with password protection. It has photocopies of all my important info - :)

What a neat idea - I post my stuff to Google docs so I can access it anywhere but have always been concerned with hacking. This is an excellent idea - works where there is no Internet. Thanks.

My list is.-

1. My hubby ( and his credit card)

2. Sun cream

3. Clothes

4. Own shampoo/shower gel ect.

5. Laid back positive attitude

Among others like..... safety pins, needle/cotton, Pain killers, Hand sanitizers, scissors, adapter plugs, extra bag for carrying towels/swimsuits( and for using as carry on on return journey after all the things you have bought).

Archived