Top 5 must brings!

pacheco18

To hold the door open.

Most cruise lines have a sign on the balcony door saying NOT to leave the balcony door open. When the door is propped open it often affects the temperature in other cabins.

OK, got back from our vacation and have to say the bungees are excellent!! We brought 2 longer ones. Just slipped them into an outside pocket in a suitcase. Although we didn't use them to hold the door open, we were able to hook them together and hook them to the edges of the balcony banister, which made an excellent clothes line. I also brought a handful of clothes pins in a zip lock bag and clothes were ready by morning!!! (one bungee wouldn't have been long enough to stretch the length of the balcony)

we were told not to hang anything from the balcony *shrug*

I'm guessing "Binos = Binoculars".

This is a great topic...thankyou all. We are sailing in 2weeks so i am starting to look seriously at what to pack for Alaska.....I love the 'night light' idea!!!

Just had to add my necessary vices!! (We will assume that DH, CC's, clothes & documents are all onboard!!)

1 - Kindle

2 - MP3

3 - Netbook

4 - lightweight daypack

5 - wristlet

Just had to add my necessary vices!! (We will assume that DH, CC's, clothes & documents are all onboard!!)

1 - Kindle

2 - MP3

3 - Netbook

4 - lightweight daypack

5 - wristlet

You could only have three if you grab yourself an iPad. Kindle, Netbook and MP3 player together in one happy package.

You could only have three if you grab yourself an iPad. Kindle, Netbook and MP3 player together in one happy package.

Looked at the iPad - but the Kindle is so-o-o-o much easier to read on. Can't give it up!!

Looked at the iPad - but the Kindle is so-o-o-o much easier to read on. Can't give it up!!

I did too. I love my Kindle. :D I don't go anywhere without it. LOL

We pack so light (1 med.roller and 1 over the shoulder bag each) and carry our luggage off.

So, my 5 essentials beyond the obvious are:

1. Nook

2. Imodium and prescription anti-nausea drug

3. Small hand sanitizer

4. Snorkle equipment

5. Binoculars

1. room deodorizer (they make little spray cans of this for traveling)
  2. Power strip (won't leave home without it!)
  3. night light (we usually plug this into the power strip & 'hide' it in a cubby. Gives off just enough light without blinding us)
  4. copy of passports & travel docs (in case of emergency)
  5. journal & pen for writing highlights of the day to match up with my photos

Besides all the other great ideas;

We started bringing a queen size plastic mattress cover. (After our experience with Norvo Virus). Cheap and can throw away at end of cruise.

Also; eyeglass repair kit with extra screws. I was one of the most popular passengers at dinner one night when I repaired one of my tablemates glasses. Several other people came over and "Can you fix mine?", Yes, glad to do it.

DDWW

1. Travel, Mesh Fold-Up Hamper-absolutely love this!! Will not cruise without one for our cabin and one for the kids.

2. Extra Memory Card for Camera

3. All chargers-camera, cell phones, ipods

4. Portable Steamer

5. Lots of money and/or credit cards:D

For us besides the obvious, a luggage carrier, for our carry on.

This is helpful both getting on and off the ship, since we always take two garment bags and two small carryons. If we have to change planes -- this is critical given the long walk between planes.

besides the Mandatory stuff...cc, cash, passports etc...gotta HAVE:

1. my NCL waterbottle holder

2. 2 collapsible shoulder strap 6-8pk coolers

3. febreeze

4. ENOUGH shoes

5. over the door shoe holder

6. ziplocs in every size

i have MORE but it was suppose to be 5 i had to throw one more in:D

For those who say the over the door shoe organizer, I got this. I actually got it for when I work at camp so that I have some more space to sort my things (I hate going into a duffel all the time) and I thought it just might work on the ship. It folds down to a pretty flat shoe-box size and the shelves are super sturdy. In each shelf, there are net pockets and there are net pockets on the outside and each shelf has a front to it so things can't fall out that easily. I have some over the door hooks but it can also attach to the bunk that my son will be sleeping in (unless they put it away each day) or else I can attach it in the closet. It's got three straps that velcro together so you can easily attach it to any hook/rod. What do you think? Will it work?

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/summerCamp/summerCampEssentials?productId=10022370&email_id=618769

1. Over the door hanger. I know some don't like it, but it helps keep my cabin organized and all of my "girl stuff" as DH calls it, off of the bathroom counter.

2. Backpack for taking my towel, snorkel gear, sunscreen, book, camera, and iPod to the beach with me!

3. Nalgene water bottle.

4. Waterproof camera, for all of the snorkeling I will be doing.

5. Swimsuit

6. DH.... have to include him!!!

Most items have been mentioned.

However, if you are on medication...bring a copy of your exact prescriptions just in case you loose or leave medicines behind by accident. Bring your own "thank you" notes to give along with your special tips to staff.

Pinkie

You all say a travel mug or a mug - do you carry this around with you? Or do you use it for meals then go to your room to drop it off? Is it the regular travel mug that you take in your car in the morning or do you use a regular mug instead?

I've read tons of tips on packing for a cruise - but my question is really about cruise-specific items that you cannot live without on a cruise ship in particular = e.g. your travel mug, extension cord etc.

What are your top 5 items that you MUST take with you on a cruise ship?

Backpack/Daypack... I use it as my carry-on for the plane and for going into port...

Archived