Top 5 must brings!

pacheco18

You all say a travel mug or a mug - do you carry this around with you? Or do you use it for meals then go to your room to drop it off? Is it the regular travel mug that you take in your car in the morning or do you use a regular mug instead?

I'll be bringing a travel mug with me on my upcoming Alaska cruise. I'll be bringing one of the types that you take in your car -- with the spill-proof lid. I plan to use it to hold tea and cocoa while I'm outside, on deck, looking around. The travel mug I have seals tightly, so I can throw it in my bag, full of liquid, and it won't spill. I'll probably take it on shore with me too.

For our warmer weather cruises, I never found a need for it. I think I brought it on our first cruise (because people kept suggesting to bring one on here, and I thought I might use it) . But short of maybe having tea with dinner or breakfast (which I gladly did from a supplied mug), I had no interest in sipping on a hot beverage when the temps were anywhere from 75-100+ degrees. So, I wouldn't bring it with me on any warm weather cruises again.

Instead of a nightlight, I bring a tap light, leave it in the bathroom and turn it on before bed time, off first thing in the morning. The batteries last all week ++, but I do take them out enroute. Once when getting it out of my carry on it was turned on already.

These don't have to be plugged in in the cabin, but allow plenty of light to see in the bathroom in the middle of the night. Neither of us likes a nightlight in the room itself.

Like these:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Tack-73060-White-Light/dp/B00004XS9S

You all say a travel mug or a mug - do you carry this around with you? Or do you use it for meals then go to your room to drop it off? Is it the regular travel mug that you take in your car in the morning or do you use a regular mug instead?

My mug is like the mugs you take in the car. It holds about 3 "coffee cup" size cups of coffee. I take it with me to breakfast in the buffet and then return it to my room. You don't have to keep signalling the waiter for a refill that is so small. We also have coffee delivered to the cabin every morning that we drink while we're getting dressed to go to breakfast. Fill the mug once, add sweetner and cream; it's just like home.:)

"What if" meds- Aloe, Immodium, cough drops...(things you may not be

able to get on the ships or in ports.)

Bungee cords

Extra big cups for cold drinks and hot tea- not that we drink 44 ounces of drink- but loading it up with ice dilutes the drink and keeps it cold by the pool longer.

Zip-loc bags. Assorted sizes. Especially good to keep things dry when off the boat.

Snorkel stuff- I would skeeve rentals.

This year I am adding my

1. My Barnes and Noble nook e-reader. I named it "Cruise Control".

2. Extra- large bag- in case I buy too much stuff... :)

3. Powdered drink single use packages.

Bernadette

All the suggestions are great! My one thing is to remember is my memory! On a previous cruise we stayed at Embassy Suites on 17th Street the night prior to embarkation. Our embarkation day was beautiful, so I picked a nice summer outfit and sandals to wear to the ship. On our disembarkation day I couldn't find my sneakers that I wore from Detroit and to the hotel. Apparently left them at the Embassy Suites. So, off to Detroit, in February, wearing a souvenir t-shirt, a nice tan and flip flops with socks! Priceless!

1)Prescription medications

2)Credit cards

3)Passport

4)Change of clothes

5)Couple of good books and reading glasses (does that make 6?)

Not that these are confined to cruises. I can do without or replace everything else if necessary. No formal clothes? Oh well. No bathing suit? Oh well. No DH? Oh well (well, maybe he should be listed:D). No duct tape extension cords bungee cords alarm clocks shoe holders hampers special soaps or hair stuff coolers fans antiseptics cleansers etc etc- have NO need for any of these. I find that less is more- I want to leave everything behind when I travel, not take it with me.

I like your list. Subtract #1 (I have none) and the reading glasses (don't need them -- yet) and I am good to go.

1. power strip

2. journal to write down those little things I'll forget by the time i get home/capture the feel of the day & to have something to reference when i get my pics printed.

3. camera

4. Wrap for the chillier rooms

5. alarm clock (our stayed in roaming the whole time we were out to sea last cruise)

• 3 months later...

Extra pair of glasses

Bandaids I was a disney once got a few blisters and could not wear any shoes. I was going to a convention for the next few days and had to wear double pair of socks at hotel

extra shoes was on cruse to Mexico and walked up those water fall steps. I did not have a extra pair of walking shoes and had to wear those soaked shoes until they dry

Names of your doctors and medical conditions and medicines. If you are being treated at certain hospital have your medical number

Zip Lock bags all sizes. Put all your clothes in zip log bags put a address sticker on it

Name of ship inside you baggage on the top and return address. I put it in one of those plastic page sheets I just change the front sheet (where I am going) and then flip it over when I return home. Next of kin. If you have plastic bottles Pepsi, coke save those after you drank it all and wash out if you want to bring water/ice tea/juside on tour off ship even if you have a soda card put the liquis in those and then just throw it away when done

I ALWAYS carry a few of pairs of "throw away" socks. When I have to slip off my shoes or flip flops to go through security at the airport, I slip the socks on. I absolutely can't stand the idea of going barefoot on those floors where everyone has taken their sweaty feet out of their shoes before me. After security check, I sit down on the first available chair/bench, take the socks off and toss them in the trash bin. When I'm ready to board the plane to go home, I have another pair of socks that have seen better days, and do the same thing at the airport. These "seen better days" socks carried in my purse/tote to the airport and I just slip them on in the security line to keep from delaying anyone. They have the disposable little "slippers" for sale at the travel sites but it's easier/cheaper just to be on the lookout when doing laundry. I slip the socks into a zip lock and throw them into my "cruise things" container that's kept in the spare closet and they are ready to go with me to the airport along with my passport and e-docs.

All the suggestions are great! My one thing is to remember is my memory! On a previous cruise we stayed at Embassy Suites on 17th Street the night prior to embarkation. Our embarkation day was beautiful, so I picked a nice summer outfit and sandals to wear to the ship. On our disembarkation day I couldn't find my sneakers that I wore from Detroit and to the hotel. Apparently left them at the Embassy Suites. So, off to Detroit, in February, wearing a souvenir t-shirt, a nice tan and flip flops with socks! Priceless!

You made my day - this would be so typical of me.

Air freshener! Heads up folks I found a great one! I was at Cracker Barrel today and they have little Yankee Candle air freshener sprays and there about the size of a Magic Marker. Will last at least 65 sprays and is Midsummers Night fragrance. Smells to me like a lovely fresh soap smell. pretty cheap at 3.99, but I'm impressed with the size of it. Should work very well in the tiny bathroom.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

For our warmer weather cruises, I never found a need for it. I think I brought it on our first cruise (because people kept suggesting to bring one on here, and I thought I might use it) . But short of maybe having tea with dinner or breakfast (which I gladly did from a supplied mug), I had no interest in sipping on a hot beverage when the temps were anywhere from 75-100+ degrees. So, I wouldn't bring it with me on any warm weather cruises again.

Dani, Without looking at your location, just knew you were not from the South... Ice Tea, sugar :)

Coffee in the early am walking around the ship for exercise and rest of the day Iced Tea or water (or lemonade, fruit punch from the buffet if you must) with lots of ice to keep the drink cold. Take a large insulated travel mug with sealable lid.. prevents spills on a crowded sun deck, lasts for hours in the heat & sun, and most important keeps me hydrated.

[quote=BratDet;24531082

Bungee cords

Extra big cups for cold drinks and hot tea- not that we drink 44 ounces of drink- but loading it up with ice dilutes the drink and keeps it cold by the pool longer.

3. Powdered drink single use packages.

Bernadette

Extracting from your list, I wanted to add how we used them on our last cruise:

1. Bungee cords/string - used on our last cruise to tie back the balcony door to enjoy the cooling nighttime breeze overnight. And also to build a sheet "wall" to separate our daughter's sleeping space from ours, giving us some privacy;). Extra sheets were gladly supplied by room steward.:D

2. Extra big cups with lids - holds lots of ice and great for keeping drinks colder longer, and making your own tropical punch mixers. Bring;)/Buy shots of rum/vodka and use their juice bar.

3. Powdered drink packets - "Energy to Go" is our favorite for giving our bottled water some flavoring...and the taurene helped keep us going:eek:. DW brought/made sun tea on our balcony, and enjoyed that by the pool later on.

4. Camera and needed accessories - camera with a dead battery is useless:mad:, and a full memory stick doesn't help either. Charger is a must, and the chord to upload the day's pics to the laptop, then delete all images for the next day's adventure/picture taking.

5. :o 50 one-dollar bills - I tipped the room steward early and often, and had outstanding room service for the entire voyage (see the last sentence in 1 above). On the first day, I had him clear out the refrigerator of its contents for two reasons, one to ensure I would not be charged for anything "missing/used" from the stuff they put in there, and two, to be able to use it for storing my own drinks (see 2 above) and some tasty left-overs for midnight snacks on the patio.

Hope that helps. Have a great cruise!

I've never been on a cruise and found the "things to bring" intensely helpful but what is DH??

Yes, cruise speak is a language all it's own!:D

Here's a link to the abbreviations, which will help you "decode" them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_acronyms

You'll wonder why you waited so long to cruise after your first one, and find yourself longing for the next...........:)

5. :o 50 one-dollar bills - I tipped the room steward early and often, and had outstanding room service for the entire voyage (see the last sentence in 1 above). On the first day, I had him clear out the refrigerator of its contents for two reasons, one to ensure I would not be charged for anything "missing/used" from the stuff they put in there, and two, to be able to use it for storing my own drinks (see 2 above) and some tasty left-overs for midnight snacks on the patio.

Hope that helps. Have a great cruise!

I never tip in advance or during the cruise. I always have the refrig emptied. I request robes. I request an ice bucket filled every day for my wine. I do tip generously at the end of the cruise.

Do you really think that you get better service by tipping in advance and often? I doubt it.

DON

My list would include:

1. swimsuit

2. yellow highlighter for noting 'must-do's' in the Princess Patters

3. my 'holey' shoes for walking on the beach

4. sunglasses and sunscreen

5. list of family members' addresses to send postcards to

_/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/)

For above suggestion #5 to save time, I actually have blank self-stick labels with family & friends N&A's already printed or hand-written. Then I just peel & stick it to the postcard. A short "wish-you-were-here" note and I'm done! :cool:

Business cards to pass out to a select few fellow passengers - those you wish to keep in touch with after the cruise.

Travel books of places I will be visiting. Better yet, notes that I have gleaned from surfing the internet, I put all gleaned info into a Word document & print it up just before we leave. I always include current phone #'s of local taxis. Always good to have a backup contingency to getting back to the ship on time!

A wrinkle release product - I'm on vacation and you won't catch me doing any ironing! ;)

I pack everything in different size zip top plastic bags. The bags can be repurposed & used to: store wet bathing suits, to bring leftover bread from dinner to feed the birds on shore excursions, to double bag passports while at the beach, bag your camera or other electronics, store granola bars or snack food for long shore excursions, put ice in for a small sprain or pain, etc.

Small sewing kit for these little emergencies. I always add a few safety pins and rubber bands to kit.

Our Croakies to secure glasses/sunglasses on cruise ship and for shore excursions. Also a hat with a large brim.

Plastic store hangers. So when the sales clerk asks if you want the hangers your purchase is on - say yes! There never seems to be enough in the cabins. They can also be used to dry your bathing suits. I usually bring two - so I always have a dry one. Hate to put on a wet bathing suit! :eek:

But the most important thing I bring are Ginger tablets. You can get them from any health food or drug stores. They are a natural, non-drug nausea & motion sickness remedy. We take one tablet every day the week before the cruise. Then on the cruise - one before each meal. We even take them for a few days after our cruise, until we get out land legs back.

That's more than 5 important things to bring on a cruise, but I think they are all things I wouldn't leave behind.

}><((((º>`·..·`·..·`·...}><((((º`·..··`·.. ·``·..·`}><((((º>`·..·`·..·`·...}><((((º>

Archived