Passport question.

Napi's Mom

We are thinking of taking out 14 yr old grand-daughter on a short cruise this year, as she's rarely had a vacation and we had hopes of doing this with all 3 grand daughters but 1 now in college, and one possibly going to boot camp after HS graduation (as she joined the National Guard while a Soph. in HS, and will be going into the Reg army for a while after graduation). So they are no longer available to go along. The point is this, as we aren't rich the best I can hope for is a Carib. cruise, or 4-5 days to the Bahamas etc.

The question is, I KNOW she has no passport, she is a minor.But can she travel on OUR passports as we're NOT her parents??? If she needs a passport that will change the whole timetable of when we could take her. Any reply would be helpful???

The question is' date=' I KNOW she has no passport, she is a minor.But can she travel on OUR passports as we're NOT her parents??? If she needs a passport that will change the whole timetable of when we could take her. Any reply would be helpful???[/quote']

I don't even know if any of you need a passport for where you are going,(I'm Aussie).... but, if you and she need a passport, why would you think she could travel on yours, when you are not even her guardians.??

All children , anywhere in the world, regardless of age, including newborns and infants, must have their own passport..IF THEY NEED ONE TO TRAVEL....

THIS IS FROM YOUR PASSPORT INFO SITE..

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

If she needs a passport that will change the whole timetable of when we could take her. Any reply would be helpful???

The processing time to get a passport isn't long - my son and I got our first passports this year and as I recall they arrived in the mail within 2 weeks. This was with normal processing - they would have come sooner had we payed extra for expedited. Unless you were planning on booking a very last minute cruise the passport issue alone shouldn't change your timetable.

We are thinking of taking out 14 yr old grand-daughter on a short cruise this year' date=' as she's rarely had a vacation and we [u']had[/u] hopes of doing this with all 3 grand daughters but 1 now in college, and one possibly going to boot camp after HS graduation (as she joined the National Guard while a Soph. in HS, and will be going into the Reg army for a while after graduation). So they are no longer available to go along. The point is this, as we aren't rich the best I can hope for is a Carib. cruise, or 4-5 days to the Bahamas etc.

The question is, I KNOW she has no passport, she is a minor.But can she travel on OUR passports as we're NOT her parents??? If she needs a passport that will change the whole timetable of when we could take her. Any reply would be helpful???

She definitely cannot travel on your passport and as someone said the passport times now are quick. The need for a passport depends on where and when she is going. A birth certificate is fine for now in most caribbean countries but not for long.

You also should have a a medical permission slip and a slip signed by BOTH parents allowing the child to go on a cruise.

Check with the cruiseline or TA for any specifics.

As much as we might want to think time is running away from us, we are pretty close to that June 1st deadline, so if you are not planning to go before then, which I assume you are not, please don't listen to people who say you do not need to get her a passport. That was the case for many years, but it will soon change.

As much as we might want to think time is running away from us, we are pretty close to that June 1st deadline, so if you are not planning to go before then, which I assume you are not, please don't listen to people who say you do not need to get her a passport. That was the case for many years, but it will soon change.

I got my passport over two years ago because there was a deadline - they have had two since then. I went ahead and got my daughter one though for our last cruise. The process doesn't take nearly as long as before and as that "deadline" approaches the time to receive a passport will definately increase.

I would get the application in so that you will have time to receive it before the cruise without paying a fee to rush the application through.

There are many recent posts on the Family cruising board re passports and carrying certified letters giving permission to take a minor cruising without the parents. Don't forget a medical care permission letter with her insurance info too. Is she covered out of the country?

No passport needed..have her bring the birth certificate and something with her picture. However know that if you would have to fly home for some reason, it would be very difficult (not impossible) from the Bahamas without the passport.

The rules are changing as of June 1st. There are some questions about just what the new rules are and how they will be enforced but I for one would not leave the country with my children, before or after June 1, because if you needed to fly home in an emergency you would not be able to. I would never take the chance of being stranded somewhere for lack of a passport, getting a passport is not that big of a deal. Celebrity told us that after June 1, we would not be allowed to board the ship without passports for everyone, including children. So regardless of the "rules" I would check with the cruise line on their policy post June 1.

In any case, the sooner you apply, the better the response time. Last fall, we got ours in about two weeks. With the requiremets changing as of June 1, they will be getting more apps and response time will surely be slower. You can always expediate the process, but I think if you just send in her passport application right now, you'll be ok. Or wait and pay extra?

What a wonderful opportunity for your grandaughter. My parents have traveled with each of their grandsons when they were younger and they all reminise about their travels regularly!

Just saw this in a review and thought you might find it interesting. Especially the part about the notary seal and Celebrity's inspection of it.

"We had regular Outside Balcony {7129} and girls were across the hall in {7123}. Note of interest, if you are bringing along a companion that is not an immediate family member and under the age of 18, you MUST have Passport AND notarized Letter of Consent from parents. Celebrity asked for and we provided this documentation at the check-in, they even rubbed the area of the Notary Seal to make sure it was an original."

Just saw this in a review and thought you might find it interesting. Especially the part about the notary seal and Celebrity's inspection of it.

"We had regular Outside Balcony {7129} and girls were across the hall in {7123}. Note of interest, if you are bringing along a companion that is not an immediate family member and under the age of 18, you MUST have Passport AND notarized Letter of Consent from parents. Celebrity asked for and we provided this documentation at the check-in, they even rubbed the area of the Notary Seal to make sure it was an original."

You need a letter of consent from both parents whether a relative or not...

..Celebrity told us that after June 1, we would not be allowed to board the ship without passports for everyone, including children. So regardless of the "rules" I would check with the cruise line on their policy post June 1....
You are taking a one-way cruise. Therefore the passport exception would not apply on your cruise. It has everything to do with the rules, and nothing to do with Celebrity making their own policy.

You are taking a one-way cruise. Therefore the passport exception would not apply on your cruise. It has everything to do with the rules, and nothing to do with Celebrity making their own policy.

Really, I'm on a one way cruise? (rolls eyes)

Celebrity told me that post June 1 everyone, including children, on all cruises has to have a passport to board the ship. Celebrity's online check in form now only allows you to fill in passport information, if everyone in the group doesn't have a passport you can't fill out the forms and they told me that everyone had to have a passport to board.

If you don't want to believe this, fine by me, you are entitled to believe whatever you choose, and you need to live with the consequences. And being left standing at the dock while your ship sails would be pretty harsh.

Today is April 19. Anyone needing a passport post June 1 can apply NOW and get passports in plenty of time for summer cruising.

Why is everyone so insistent about NOT getting passports?

Getting the passport works and makes life so much easier all around. The kids aren't for 10 years as are adults, my grandkids (3 1/2 & 8 1/2) both have them and I believe they are only for 5 years but they sail so often it's worth the price.

We also were led to believe that the passport will be necessary after June

1st, no matter what but still believe that it's so much easier to have one document to worry about.

I saw on TV last night that they are advertising a plastic, credit card type proof of citizenship for travel to Canada & Mexico? Now, if they could make the paper passports as portable as this we'd all have an easier time. Of course there is the strong possibility of fake ones so ----.

Happy travels.

The below is taken from the Official US Passport information page concerning the 6/1/09 deadline and the requirements. It appears that those 15 and under can still use a birth certificate even after the deadline. Here is a link to the page. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

• CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's GetYouHome.gov for more information on the changing travel requirements.

Really, I'm on a one way cruise? (rolls eyes)

Celebrity told me that post June 1 everyone, including children, on all cruises has to have a passport to board the ship. Celebrity's online check in form now only allows you to fill in passport information, if everyone in the group doesn't have a passport you can't fill out the forms and they told me that everyone had to have a passport to board.

If you don't want to believe this, fine by me, you are entitled to believe whatever you choose, and you need to live with the consequences. And being left standing at the dock while your ship sails would be pretty harsh.

Today is April 19. Anyone needing a passport post June 1 can apply NOW and get passports in plenty of time for summer cruising.

Why is everyone so insistent about NOT getting passports?

You must have a passport on your particular cruise because as pointed out correctly to you ...you are not on a loop cruise beginning and ending in the US.

So yes, to get back into the US from Canada, you need a passport or passport card. Thus your check-in form WILL have the space for passport numbers only.

The OP is asking about a roundtrip (loop) cruise. NOT a one way ending in Canada. Note the attached site from Royal Carib, which is the same as Celebrity's. Pay attention to the third section under "PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS" re closed loop cruises. Relates to the OP's cruise..not YOURS.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/gatewayPage.do?pagename=passport_guideline&pnav=4&snav=0

I agree as most others who frequently travel abroad and cruise the Western Hemisphere that a passport makes things easier. You are assuming people are "insistent on not getting a passport". Perhaps a family of 4 or 5 would rather not spend the money on all the passports at this time if they don't need to. Who are you to judge their decision. :rolleyes:

It isn't that difficult or time consuming to get a passport right now.

If you decide to get one, then all the stress and drama will go POOF! GONE!

I think all would agree that if you have the passports, then there won't be an issue at all.

Just remember to have the notarized approval of both parents to take the child on the cruise.

Have a great vacation and enjoy!

Getting the passport works and makes life so much easier all around. The kids aren't for 10 years as are adults, my grandkids (3 1/2 & 8 1/2) both have them and I believe they are only for 5 years but they sail so often it's worth the price.

We also were led to believe that the passport will be necessary after June

1st, no matter what but still believe that it's so much easier to have one document to worry about.

I saw on TV last night that they are advertising a plastic, credit card type proof of citizenship for travel to Canada & Mexico? Now, if they could make the paper passports as portable as this we'd all have an easier time. Of course there is the strong possibility of fake ones so ----.

Happy travels.

What you saw was probably the "passport card" which can be used only for land and sea entry. Not good for any air requirements. It is mostly used by people that drive back and forth over the borders for work. shopping, school etc. We saw a lot being used when we were up in Saulte Ste Marie Canada/USA border.

OK, sorry for my tongue and cheek response. My point was that people need to be educated and prepared. Thanks for providing the link. Here is the link to the same information from X:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000uETSOhcTRHeg-WeGtSUYtyw:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Online+Check-in+and+Documentation&faqId=460&pagename=faq_answers

However, when I inquired at Celebrity about this issue, in general, not for our specific cruise, the Celebrity rep DID tell me that everyone needed a passport, not just for our cruise. Not that they aren't known to provide incorrect information from time to time. I'm just repeating what they told me.

You are also right that I shouldn't judge. I'm a pessimist, and my motto is "plan for the worst, hope for the best". I like to be prepared for anything and most of the time, I'm over prepared for any situation. Personally, I wouldn't travel without a passport for myself or for my children. I'm afraid someone would get sick and we wouldn't be able to travel by air back to the US. OR the ship would have mechanical issues, not really all that unlikely on m-class ships, and we'd be stranded unable to return to the US for lack of a passport. Even if I chose not to get a passport, I'd take my kids to receive a photo ID, which at least here in Iowa, while it is a bit cheaper than the passport, it isn't much easier than applying for the passport. As a child with a passport, I felt that my passport was extremely valuable as a primary document for proof of citizenship every time I applied for a job and for ID when getting my first drivers license. I feel like I'm doing my children a favor by getting them passports. A passport literally opens up the world for them, and will make it easy to renew when they are young adults.

I guess if people don't want to get passports for their own kids, that is entirely up to them, but obviously, I think the cost and effort is a minimal price to pay for the convenience of having the passport.

We renewed ours and applied for our youngest child last fall. We used the online form and felt that made the application process at the passport office very fast. It really is easier than ever to get a passport.

OK, sorry for my tongue and cheek response. My point was that people need to be educated and prepared. Thanks for providing the link. Here is the link to the same information from X:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000uETSOhcTRHeg-WeGtSUYtyw:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Online+Check-in+and+Documentation&faqId=460&pagename=faq_answers

However, when I inquired at Celebrity about this issue, in general, not for our specific cruise, the Celebrity rep DID tell me that everyone needed a passport, not just for our cruise. Not that they aren't known to provide incorrect information from time to time. I'm just repeating what they told me.

You are also right that I shouldn't judge. I'm a pessimist, and my motto is "plan for the worst, hope for the best". I like to be prepared for anything and most of the time, I'm over prepared for any situation. Personally, I wouldn't travel without a passport for myself or for my children. I'm afraid someone would get sick and we wouldn't be able to travel by air back to the US. OR the ship would have mechanical issues, not really all that unlikely on m-class ships, and we'd be stranded unable to return to the US for lack of a passport. Even if I chose not to get a passport, I'd take my kids to receive a photo ID, which at least here in Iowa, while it is a bit cheaper than the passport, it isn't much easier than applying for the passport. As a child with a passport, I felt that my passport was extremely valuable as a primary document for proof of citizenship every time I applied for a job and for ID when getting my first drivers license. I feel like I'm doing my children a favor by getting them passports. A passport literally opens up the world for them, and will make it easy to renew when they are young adults.

I guess if people don't want to get passports for their own kids, that is entirely up to them, but obviously, I think the cost and effort is a minimal price to pay for the convenience of having the passport.

We renewed ours and applied for our youngest child last fall. We used the online form and felt that made the application process at the passport office very fast. It really is easier than ever to get a passport.

I don't believe anything that isn't in writing especially from some customer service agent. You're right that ta's and cruiseline agents often make "mis-statements." You can find them all over these threads.

X "RECOMMENDS" a passport for everyone. That is all they can do with the US Customs law as is about the closed loops. To repeat some agent's words from a conversation doesn't make for an "educated" answer. Everyone needs to take responsibility for knowing what the US Customs accepts for their particular travel plan. And then decide what they can or want to use. "Scolding" or "lecturing" travelers on what we think is the "best" and only way to go isn't really being helpful. Let's stick to the facts. ;) A family of 5 needs to spend almost $500 for passports. They might decide to go with the b.cert. and drivers licenses to save money. Their choice. Thier consequences if things don't go smoothly.

The questions re passports are all over these boards lately. And probably will keep popping up until July. Hopefully people here can spread the "facts" to those travelers that don't read the official customs sites.

...To repeat some agent's words from a conversation doesn't make for an "educated" answer. Everyone needs to take responsibility for knowing what the US Customs accepts for their particular travel plan. And then decide what they can or want to use. "Scolding" or "lecturing" travelers on what we think is the "best" and only way to go isn't really being helpful. Let's stick to the facts. ;) A family of 5 needs to spend almost $500 for passports. They might decide to go with the b.cert. and drivers licenses to save money. Their choice. Thier consequences if things don't go smoothly. The questions re passports are all over these boards lately. And probably will keep popping up until July. Hopefully people here can spread the "facts" to those travelers that don't read the official customs sites.
A well-reasoned, rational response. Let's all remember there is a big difference between facts and opinions. When asked for my opinion, I say get a passport. When asked for the facts, I tell the facts, and provide references. Glad to know you think the same way.

This is sort of OT but I am wondering. If a child, or an adult, lets a passprt expire how difficult is it to get a new one?

It depends on how long the passport has been expired and the age of person.

Both my daughter's and my passport had expired and I was able to renew mine by mail but we had to renew my daughter's in person because she was under 16. If the passport was issued more than 15 years ago, you'd also need apply in person. Going to a passport office in person wasn't a big deal at all. We were able to do it at our local municipal building.

The U.S. Dept. of State has a surprisingly helpful website with an explanation of the restrictions regarding who needs to apply in person vs. doing it by mail:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/

Sue

Archived