Beloved Alaska Souvenirs

DizzyDallasDi

Every month when I change the page I get to enjoy a new picture from Alaska. Also, you might want to check out The Tongass Trading Co. They are in some of the ports but you can also order from them online and the items will be sent right to your home. Saves you from having to bring them home.

Ten years ago on my first Alaskan trip I bought a handcarved wooden mask that looks like a person laughing hysterically. I found it in a little shop in Ketchikan on Creek St. Every time I look at it I remember the laughter I shared with my mom, her best friend, and my best friend on that cruise.

jettaleea

Everywhere I go i try to get a coffee mug. i have a shelf full...nothing matches, but every cup is a fond memory, even if they are made in china, they're cheap, and its about the memories. But they are heavy too, so won't be getting more than one or two from Alaska. I am going to try to start a charm bracelet. That should be pretty easy. And have to bring back at least one cap for my DBF.

We bought Alaskan-made Ulu sets at the Tongass Trading post - excellent blades and GREAT gifts (a tad heavy - remember to pack them in your checked luggage!). My favorite thing is a lovely silver stylized whale-tail necklace made by a local jeweler in Skagway that I wear at least once a week. I don't remember the name of the shop, but it a small place on a corner I think, with mostly silver work in the window - down State Street probably around 6th street or so on the left (your back is to the docks)... the owner was the jeweler. The Architect-husband of our travel-buddy loved it so much he went running back to the shop in the pouring rain to get one for his DW. I'm definitely heading back there this September - I HOPE it's still there!

One of my favorite things is a hand carved wooden Raven totem with a hidden hinged back where you can place a little surprise. It was hand carved by Alaska Black Diamond in Ketchikan.

Something else I found that is great for stocking stuffers, little gifts to bring to friends were enameled zipper pulls. They had whales, bears, masks, all sorts of Alaskan things. They are made by an Alaskan artist William Spear who lives and works in Alaska. His shop is in Juneau on S. Franklin St. on the 2nd floor.

This time I"m gong to look for a whale tail necklace (love that idea) and maybe something carved from whale bone and an Ulu knife. Thanks for these great ideas!! :D:)

Sue

My all time favorite port for shopping is Ketchikan. There are stores along the pier that sell all of the traditional tourist stuff-- ulu knives,tee shirts, salad tongs, salmon, etc. I always do all of my souvenir shopping in Ketchikan and then I'm done with it. I don't focus so much on shopping in any of the other ports, but occasionally have seen something that has caught my eye.

Plus, my favorite gallery is in Ketchikan on Mission street-- the Scanlon Gallery. I've gotten several Barbara Lavellee prints, a bronze sculpture, and miscellaneous other prints. They have the most beautiful art, and the prices are fairly reasonable. Associated with them is another gallery next door that sells more native-Alaskan inspired art. A little more price-y, but worth going to if you are into that.

There's also a jewelry store across the street that is owned by a Ketchikan local. I've been there every time I've been to Alaska and believe that I have tried on the very same Korian ring every time. I obviously like it--and one year I know I will buy it! Maybe this summer will be the time.

For those of you who have purchased the totem poles with the hinged back, where did you get them, how big are they are how much do you recall that they cost? Are they hand carved?

Sounds like a great idea.

I went to Alaska planning to purchase only Made in Alaska or Native Alaskan made items with the exception of a Russian Stacking Dolls Nativity Set. I was very successful with this goal and did not have to spend big $$$ to do so unless I really wanted to. I had to be careful with the Ulu knife - many were made over seas. I did purchase a magnet that included an Alaskan quater (just issued while we were there) not made in Alaska. My adult kids loved the Shamanic (?sp) charms we purchased for them from a local artist in Haines. In Ketchikan, along Creek Street we found some Wild Salmon Cat Treats. We thought they were great but our elderly cat preferred the nearly artificial Wild Salmon Cat Treats we'd been purchasing.;):(

My favorite souvenier was a watercolor print of the Mendenhall Glacier. It was purchased at a gallery in Skagway. The artist, Robert Howard Hunter, is a Skagway resident and was actually in the store when I purchased it. I was lucky enough to have him sign his artwork and to also have my photo taken with him. We had it framed and it hangs proudly in my kitchen to remind me of our wonderful trip to Alaska.

I always purchase Christmas Ornaments on all our trips and found two beautiful hand made ornaments in Ketchikan. I love hanging them on our tree each year! Gonna have to add some more this year!

I collect Nativity Sets and one of my prize sets is one that I purchased several years ago while in Alaska. It was hand carved by Native-Alaskans.

Another great rememberance that we have is a travelers' quilt. Everytime we visit a new place, we make sure that we buy at least one t-shirt from that town. Once we collect 13 shirts, my DMIL cuts out the designs on the shirts and then makes a "travelers' quilt" for us. She uses the 13 t-shirt squares and alternates them with plain squares and it is quite beautiful IMHO. Others may think it looks a but cheesy, but it not only holds the love she has for us by making it but also the love we had of the trip.

Finally is the Ulu knife. Our original one we purchased in Alaska last time "mysteriously" disappeared from our luggage on our way home. We ended up ordering one online and we love it.

I think this is a great thread! Thanks for posting this....I have the best souvenir the photos we shot in Alaska were incredible. Out of 700 photos we shot only 5 were not so great. So--with all of those wonderful shots I was able to find exactly the shots that I wanted to get printed and I had 5 x 7 prints made for friends and family chosen for each person which one to get produced and then I bought really cool wooden frames and put the photo in for each person and gave them a very personalized gift of the beauty of Alaska which has now inspired them to think about making the long trip from Ohio to Alaska themselves. My favorite shots included an upclose shot of an eagle landing to get a fish out of the water --we got this shot when we were out fishing on a charter in Ketchikan. My other favorite shot was an alaskan husky dog at the Princess Lodge in Denali. The dog was very old and it sat outside a store at the lodge shopping area in Denali. I was able to get close into the dogs face and capture the dogs beautiful eyes. It was such a haunted yet beautiful photo!

My frames were white birch wood that I found at an outet store for William Sonoma and some of their other stores in that store chain. I paid a total of 5.99 a frame and a small amount for each photo printed. Everyone I gave a photo too has displayed their photos on their walls so I guess I hit a home run with this photo idea.

CincinnatiGal

CincinnatiGal,

I like this idea. It is thoughtful and personal. A lot is involved in putting together a quality photo gift. You've inspired me to do this, too :)

I was running out of time and there was the possibility of missing the ship in Ketchikan if I waited to purchase an Alaskan nativity set. So I came home without one. It is the only thing I really want to bring back from this years cruise.

Genessa and Johnrich could you please tell me where you purchased your nativity sets.

My first cruise to Alaska, I bought a crystal thimble with a small gold flake on top. It sits in my thimble case along with the other 250 thimbles from my travels.

Our second cruisetour, I wanted something a little different, so found a jeweler (in Dawson City Yukon, not Alaska), but he had a ring that wasn't finished, with a mammoth ivory stone. He sized it and polished it up for me. Then in Eagle Alaska, they had a small tent set up with maybe 6 vendors (and call it the Eagle Mall) and found a necklace with a carved feather (made from Mammoth ivory). I thought they were something a little unique to Alaska & the Yukon.

And of course our tubes with our gold flakes (worht about $11 each) we found while panning for gold. It is schmaltzy, but when you start seeing the color in that pan, you get nervous, your palms sweat, you don't want to wash it out of the pan. It certainly lets you see how the gold miners in the old days got gold fever.

And there is a store on Main Street in Skagway, that sells Christmas ornaments and dolls, made by Native Alaskans, that I spent a fortune for my granddaughters.

As well as all the t-shirts, sweatshirts, totem poles, photo album, etc. You won't have a problem finding things to buy.

I was very fortunate to win one by entering a contest on the Alaska Magazine site. Needless to say I was very surprised, and oh my, when i got it I knew why everyone talks about it. The cutting board that came with it is very thick and is hollowed out like a bowl. The curve of the bowl exactly matches the curve of the knife. It is a very sharp piece of stainless steel, as wide across as the bowl in the cutting board is wide. You hold the knife by a wooden handle across the top of the blade. Very sturdy, thick, easy to hold. Now the good part starts. Whatever you choose to chop on your board/bowl is done with incredible ease by a combination of straight down strokes and rocking motions. Half of a large onion is minced in minutes. A quick wipe of the blade and rinse the wooden board, and set it in a place of honor on your kitchen counter as you will be using it quite often. It is my favorite kitchen helper. But, and this is a big but...I have read on the boards that the ship will confiscate the knife, it is very sharp, and could be used as a very nasty weapon, so if you want one, have the shop mail it to your home. You won't be sorry.

[quote name='krogerlady']I was very fortunate to win one by entering a contest on the Alaska Magazine site. Needless to say I was very surprised, and oh my, when i got it I knew why everyone talks about it. The cutting board that came with it is very thick and is hollowed out like a bowl. The curve of the bowl exactly matches the curve of the knife. It is a very sharp piece of stainless steel, as wide across as the bowl in the cutting board is wide. You hold the knife by a wooden handle across the top of the blade. Very sturdy, thick, easy to hold. Now the good part starts. Whatever you choose to chop on your board/bowl is done with incredible ease by a combination of straight down strokes and rocking motions. Half of a large onion is minced in minutes. A quick wipe of the blade and rinse the wooden board, and set it in a place of honor on your kitchen counter as you will be using it quite often. It is my favorite kitchen helper. But, and this is a big but...I have read on the boards that the ship will confiscate the knife, it is very sharp, and could be used as a very nasty weapon, so if you want one, have the shop mail it to your home. You won't be sorry.[/quote]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]Do you recall who made the ulu knife - the Ulu factory?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

The Tongass Trading Post in Ketchikan carried the Ulu Factory brand. We never heard of any being taken on the ship (fairly common souvenir) but don't don't don't try to bring it on-board the plane in carry-on! The mail order is a great idea - more room for other goodies. Hey, the mementos are great remembrances, support the local economy and artists (buy Alaskan!) but the star of the cruise is always the majesty of Alaska.

[quote name='Budget Queen']My coworkers, "expect" :) Alaska Jack and Chocolate Moose of Anchorage, some have saved the wrappers, which have some nice artwork and Alaska Wildberry Cranberry Butter.[/QUOTE]

BQ is the chocolate readily available and is the cranberry from the wildberry store?

Archived