Beloved Alaska Souvenirs

DizzyDallasDi

Well I asked my mom and she said her favorite Alaska souvenirs were my brother and I!:p

But for things you can actually buy, we cherish the pieces of art we have made by native Alaskans. Definitely look for stuff made in Alaska. In addition we do use the Ulu knives that we have.

If you have kids with you, my brother and I both still have gold nuggets that we panned when we were little - really fun memories and when we look back now we fondly remember that time.

[quote name='tetons']
It is fun to look for those free souvenirs also from those books you pick up when you are getting on the ship. I use my Alaska tea towels everyday.[/quote]

They do that for Alaska?!? I'm so excited!

When I took my (then 11 yo) God-daughter with us on our Bahamas cruise that was part of the fun in port at Nassau, finding the "bargain". I had won the cruise and a small bit of money (after paying for excursions and such) and her family didn't have much to send with her, so we loved it. I still have the free diamond chip earrings and the free pearl earrings that we got from that trip. Great memories.

Gotta get an Ulu. Mom got one on her first trip several years ago and still uses it.

[quote name='bondscruisegal']I was running out of time and there was the possibility of missing the ship in Ketchikan if I waited to purchase an Alaskan nativity set. So I came home without one. It is the only thing I really want to bring back from this years cruise.

Genessa and Johnrich could you please tell me where you purchased your nativity sets.[/QUOTE]

I bought mine in Juneau. Don't remember the name of the store, but it was along the main strip.

[QUOTE=choozin' cruzin';19190450]BQ is the chocolate readily available and is the cranberry from the wildberry store?[/QUOTE]

Yes, very available. Walmart has it out of Ketchikan and Juneau. Yes the Cranberry butter, is available out of Anchorage or Homer. Can also ship.

In the past, there also has been coupon books at Vancouver and Seattle. Sometimes available out of Alaska.

The Tongass Trading, in the past, has had excellent calendar coupons, take up little room and make great gifts.

I too am a long time customer of Spears, out of Juneau.

I had one of the coupon books last year in Alaska, but don't remember where I got it. Is it something you pick up in one of the stores? I might like to have one ahead of time, so I can "plan" my freebie pickup!

[quote name='krogerlady']Everywhere I go i try to get a coffee mug. i have a shelf full...nothing matches, but every cup is a fond memory, even if they are made in china, they're cheap, and its about the memories. [/quote]
I've been getting coffee mugs in my travels as well - but I'll only bring one home if it was locally made. No made in China mugs, even if they are much cheaper. Right now my collection is Hungary, Mexico (a true Talavera mug), El Salvador, Bermuda, and Santa Fe. I'm hoping to add Alaska and Peru mugs from my trips this year.
I keep them on the shelf over my desk at work and use one every day. Reminds me why I work - so I can travel! :p

[quote name='johnrich']Another great rememberance that we have is a travelers' quilt. Everytime we visit a new place, we make sure that we buy at least one t-shirt from that town. Once we collect 13 shirts, my DMIL cuts out the designs on the shirts and then makes a "travelers' quilt" for us. She uses the 13 t-shirt squares and alternates them with plain squares and it is quite beautiful IMHO. Others may think it looks a but cheesy, but it not only holds the love she has for us by making it but also the love we had of the trip.[/quote]
I wanted to do something like that for my old boyfriend. He had volunteered as a Boy Scout leader and gone to events for years, and for every event there was a t-shirt. Some of them had big designs on the back that were quite colorful, which would've been hard to fully utilize due to their size, but there was generally a smaller logo on the front of the shirt as well (usually where a pocket might be, and about the same size).
He didn't want me to cut them up.
But I still wonder, where would he have gotten more pleasure out of them, having them in a quilt/wall hanging where he could see them, or stuffed into the 3 large Rubbermaid totes in the basement (which is where I assume they still are now)?

[quote name='suzyed']I had one of the coupon books last year in Alaska, but don't remember where I got it. Is it something you pick up in one of the stores? I might like to have one ahead of time, so I can "plan" my freebie pickup![/QUOTE]

They were in bins at the cruise embarkment dock, Vancouver/Seattle

[quote name='Budget Queen']They were in bins at the cruise embarkment dock, Vancouver/Seattle[/QUOTE]

Here is where you can get them. [url]http://destinationalaska.com/contact.shtml[/url] They are no longer available in Vancouver unless you are US Direct.

Are they worth ordering for $5???

[quote name='pizzalady1']Here is where you can get them. [url]http://destinationalaska.com/contact.shtml[/url] They are no longer available in Vancouver unless you are US Direct.

Are they worth ordering for $5???[/QUOTE]

This is great PizzaLady....thank you. I'm going to make this one of everyone's pre-cruise goodie bag.:)

Thanks for all the great ideas, my family will be heading to Alaska this July for the first time. Having traveled extensively, I have found myself becoming "picky" and "practical" when it comes to souveniers. However, not my children who are 12 and 8 yr old boys. They have been told they may each buy one nice keepsake. Any suggestions for a boy, it always helps to "guide" them! (Otherwise, I may end up with a lot of rubber eagles that have bulging eye balls! Just kidding...anything that makes us laugh is worth it's weight in gold.) TNMomofBoys

[quote name='suzyed']I had one of the coupon books last year in Alaska, but don't remember where I got it. Is it something you pick up in one of the stores? I might like to have one ahead of time, so I can "plan" my freebie pickup![/quote]

Last year just as we stepped onto the gangway to board the ship, they handed us a Destination Alaska booklet. The year before they handed them to us just as we got on the escalator in the terminal building to go up and get checked in.

[quote name='pizzalady1']Here is where you can get them. [URL]http://destinationalaska.com/contact.shtml[/URL] They are no longer available in Vancouver unless you are US Direct.

Are they worth ordering for $5???[/quote]

Maybe yes, maybe no!;) It depends if you like to plan ahead and don't want to spend your "valuable" cruising time looking through the booklet seeing what souvenirs interest you.

This company prints the Destination Alaska coupon book. [URL]http://destinationalaska.com/cities/anchorage.shtml[/URL]
They pass them out free in several locations, but after a bit of research, realized our group would not be in any of those places. We contacted the company about buying one by mail, and found out their offices are very close to where my sister lives. We arranged for her to go and pick up our copies which worked out very well for us, but I am sure you can still get one mailed to you. My sister said after looking thru the book that there are wonderful opportunities to pick up free items by just stopping by a location, or buying a drink. She said we would walk around, picking up freebies, and getting tipsier and tipsier...my sister is a hoot!!

One thing I haven't seen anyone post about is the wonderful Alaska Glacial Soaps[U] made in Alaska[/U]!:) There are several different "brands" and many different kinds & scents.

Last year I found Denali Dreams soaps at the Alaska Shirt Company ($6 each) and also Richters Jewelry ($6.25 each) in Skagway.

In Juneau, Glacier Smoothie has a little shop right on the docks and also Alaska Soap & Candle Company has a store on Franklin.

[URL="http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/index.html"][FONT=Lucida Sans][SIZE=3][COLOR=#919191]http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/index.html[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.alaskasoapcompany.com/"][FONT=Lucida Sans][SIZE=3][COLOR=#919191]http://www.alaskasoapcompany.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://denalidreams.com/home.htm"][FONT=Lucida Sans][SIZE=3][COLOR=#919191]http://denalidreams.com/home.htm[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

They last a long time and the scents are wonderful! Oops, I'm down to my last bar of Denali Dreams soap, so it must be time for another cruise to Alaska!;)

Quote from their site...

With [I]Destination Alaska[/I] in hand, you're ready to make the most of each shopping stop along the way. But remember, to fully capitalize on the bargains in Southeast Alaska, you'll have to carry your copy everywhere you go!

I have seen the soaps mentioned quite often in the last year I have been reading posts on CC. I love scented soaps, but, if I bought some as a souvenier, I would not want to use it, and what's the sense of buying soap if you don't use it. I can see now....on the rack in the shower, getting smaller and smaller, so sad, just sitting there, and my souvenier slowly disappearing....nope, can't handle it....will probably, not for sure, but probably pass on soap...sigh....

[quote name='krogerlady']I have seen the soaps mentioned quite often in the last year I have been reading posts on CC. I love scented soaps, but, if I bought some as a souvenier, I would not want to use it, and what's the sense of buying soap if you don't use it. I can see now....on the rack in the shower, getting smaller and smaller, so sad, just sitting there, and my souvenier slowly disappearing....nope, can't handle it....will probably, not for sure, but probably pass on soap...sigh....[/quote]

But each day when I use my soap from Alaska, it makes me think of Alaska.:) And they do last a very long time. The facial soap I got, (Klondike Kate Complexion Soap) has lasted almost a full year!

Also, the soaps work great to use as a sachet in your underwear drawer, pj drawer, or in the cupboards with your towels and sheets.

Hey, it gives you an excuse to return to Alaska when you run out!:rolleyes:

[quote name='brunolvr']Maybe yes, maybe no!;) It depends if you like to plan ahead and don't want to spend your "valuable" cruising time looking through the booklet seeing what souvenirs interest you.[/QUOTE]

Are they only for freeby things from the stores, or are they % off coupons for the stores?

Archived