Please Critique our budget itinerary

Disney Girl 202

We are cruising in September with our 2 children 10 and 13. Unfortunately, our budget for excursions is quite tight as we splurged on the 14 day cruise. I have a draft itinerary and would love to hear any comments or changes we should make.

Ketchikan (port 7-4) Budget Queens walking tour with a stop at the Hatchery. Take a cab to the trail head at Deer Mountain and hike to the summit.

Juneau (port 9-8) Take tram to Mt. Roberts and do some hiking up there. Take shuttle to Mendenhall and explore there. Possibly visit alaska state museum

Skagway (port 7-8) Explore Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park and hike to Lower Reid Falls (if we are not getting hiked out). COnsidering renting a car to do the scenery drive

Icy strait Point (port 7-5) Do whale watching tour with F.I.S.H.E.S. Explore the town

Sitka (Port 7-3) Explore National Historic Park, visit the Raptor Centre, and possibly see Russian dancing

Victoria (port 8-3) Take taxi or gray line bus to Butchart Gardens

San Francisco (in port 2 days) Won't bore you with this - but excited to rent bikes and go across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Sorry this is so long - any advice would be much appreciated. These boards have been a lifesaver.

We're taking our first trip to Alaska next month...so I don't have any comments on your Alaska iitinerary....except have fun.

But do I understand you correctly that you plan to rent bikes and bike across the golden gate bridge with children? (we lived in the bay area for 20 years and I LOVE the bridge area)....however, this is a VERY crowded freeway and I personally would never consider riding a bike in this area. Are you all highly expert bikers (because San Francisco is HILLY) with TONS of TRAFFIC. I have just never thought about renting bikes in San Francisco........(unless maybe there are some dedicated trails within Golden Gate Park.....but honestly there are soooooo many other fun things in this city.........

r/Judy

I would have a backup plan in place for Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. If the weather is really foul, you will not want to go hiking. Of interest for kids in Ketchikan is the Public Lands Information Center with lots of exhibits, or a walk around town to see totems and Creek St. The Duck Tour is relatively inexpensive and fun for kids.

In Juneau, definately go to Mendenhall, but Mt. Roberts depends on weather.

In Skagway, I would absolutely rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake or Whitehorse. You go to the cemetary on the way out of town and Reid Falls is right there. You can stop at Carcross and let the kids play with sled dog puppies. I always go to Whitehorse, do some shopping, and visit the Beringia Museum, but you need a fairly long port time for that.

All of the visitors centers and NPS have films to watch in all these ports. I always used to drag my kids to the films. Most of them are quite good.

Thanks for the replies already. I will look at some other options for Juneau and Ketchikan.

As for biking in San Francisco, I have read a few places that there are special biking paths and is possible for all level of bikers - but I will research that some more. I am overwhelmed with planning for SF, so any advice would be much appreciated - trip advisor lists 618 things to do!!

Thanks for the replies already. I will look at some other options for Juneau and Ketchikan.

As for biking in San Francisco, I have read a few places that there are special biking paths and is possible for all level of bikers - but I will research that some more. I am overwhelmed with planning for SF, so any advice would be much appreciated - trip advisor lists 618 things to do!!

You shouldn't have a problem biking across the GG bridge. There's a bike path all along the SF side now. There's only one stretch where you're climbing up hill to the bridge that you're riding on the shoulder of the road, and it's not freeway. Once on the bridge, you're separated from the cars by a metal barrier. You're sharing the road on the Sausalito side, but you can always turn around and come back when you reach the north end of the bridge rather than riding down into town.

Yes, there are many things to do in SF. Two days is not nearly enough time to really get to know the city. If getting outdoors and seeing the bridge is something you'd like to do, then a bike ride is as good a choice as any, and September is one of the best months to do it in.

You shouldn't have a problem biking across the GG bridge. There's a bike path all along the SF side now. There's only one stretch where you're climbing up hill to the bridge that you're riding on the shoulder of the road, and it's not freeway. Once on the bridge, you're separated from the cars by a metal barrier. You're sharing the road on the Sausalito side, but you can always turn around and come back when you reach the north end of the bridge rather than riding down into town.

Yes, there are many things to do in SF. Two days is not nearly enough time to really get to know the city. If getting outdoors and seeing the bridge is something you'd like to do, then a bike ride is as good a choice as any, and September is one of the best months to do it in.

Well, my kids really wanted to ride across the bridge - we were thinking motorized, but the bikes sounded like a lot more fun with a lot more scenery. We were planning to take the ferry back, I think.

Was also wondering about the Muir Woods - is this worth fitting in to 2 days or should we just enjoy the city this time?

Some ideas/comments-

Ketchikan: Totem Heritage Center / Fish Hatchery. THC is a city-run museum, old totems "rescued" from the forest and kept in arrested decay out of the elements. A lot of signs and docents to explain the cultures and daily life of the villages the totems came from. Since they are very old the paint is gone so they lack a lot of "wow" factor. The adjacent hatchery is worth it if the salmon are running. Admission to both isn't too much and you save a few dollars with a joint ticket. Then you can follow the creek, look at the fish ladders, and that leads to the top end of Creek Street. (PS- Since Creek Street had a number of brothels your kids may ask some insightful questions that will require explanation. :D For example why the bypass was called "Married Man's Trail" or what Dolly's House is all about).

There are modern totems around town and a collection next to Cape Fox Lodge. The SE Alaska Interpretive Center is run by the US Forest Service and is a small but good center that showcases the National Forest. Great bookstore attached.

Juneau: Go to the Visitors Bureau and get a walking tour map. It visits the State Museum, City Museum, Capitol, Gov. Mansion, etc. Be sure to see the totem, grizzly bear, and pipe organ in the lobby of the State Office Bldg. The building straddles a cliff; you can take stairs to the left of the building or an elevator in the parking structure goes up to the lobby. It will make sense when you're there.

Mt. Roberts tram is a free or a few $$ ride down if you hike to the top of the mountain. I recall it takes about an hour but sometimes is closed if the trail is slippery.

There is a mining museum on the site of a closed mine. We gave it a miss because our time budget and their limited hours didn't work. It seemed interesting.

Mendenhall Glacier- MGT buses, $14 round trip.

Skagway- Be sure to rent a car well in advance. There are a few places in town that may rent bikes, again check in advance. At the cemetery be sure your kids read the sign about the notable people buried there....especially the bank robber with the bomb!

SFO- Fort Point, your kids will love it (but 1850s brick forts may common where you're from). If your kids are into science, The Exploratorium is IMO one of the world's best science museums, very unusual and really connects with kids of all ages. The Nat. Hist. Museum is newly renovated and there's an aquarium nearby.

If you're strong cyclists the Marin Headlands on the north side of the GG Bridge provide spectacular views of the city with the bridge in the foreground. You've seen the vantage point in countless ads.

Suggest posting on the West Coast board for SFO ideas; also www.tripadvisor.com

Thank you, Kenish, all of that was great advice. Really looking forward to discussing Creek Street with my kids. ;) I got excited about Fort Point - because I love stuff like that. Unfortunately, we are there on a Tuesday and Wednesday and they are closed.

You would never be able to tell that this is an anniversary trip for my husband and I, as all the planning seems to be for things the kids will like (except Butchart Gardens, which is all for me).

Haven't been to Alaska, YET! :) We did the bike ride with relatives visiting last summer through this company - I know, odd name, but they did a a good job. I've crossed the GG many times, and biking across was definitely the best! My only caution would be that the bikeway on the bridge was VERY crowded on the SF end. Children would be fine, as long as they can handle a bike pretty well. Worst case, since the bikeway is also used by pedestrians, you could just walk the bike a ways. Have fun!

can you goto san fran without seeing Alcatraz?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz

That is what we thought too and then talked to some people who were dissapointed in it - so we were still debating it. I didn't say much about San Fran because I didn't expect the Alaska board to really be the place - but this has been awesome.

Never thought about renting a car in Juneau - but we will check into that. Are there other places to go that a car would be great for?

Does anyone see anything that could easily be skipped to possibly allow some more money or time for another excursion like the duck tours which does sound like something the kids will love.

So I was all ready to plan to rent the car in Skagway and went to check out Murray's Guide - but it says that Canadians cannot do this drive!?! I don't understand - does anyone know any more details?

Hi,

I am not sure why this is (customs?) but I have seen in more than a couple threads on this board that if you are Canadian you can't rent a car in the US and then drive it into Canada.

Does sound sort of silly but if you do a search on this board you will see more than a few people mention this restriction.

Your trip sounds great though, hope you all have a great time.

Disney girl, as Canadians we cannot rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon, it's an old Canadian law. Customs will not allow it, it has to do with importing a car.

I would suggest making friends with some others on your cruise and look into renting a van if they are non Canadian.

We ended up getting hooked up with a local tour guide through Dyea Dave as he was already booked. They really understand the problem for Canadians.

We are travelling on a budget too so I was very interested in your thread.

Disney girl, as Canadians we cannot rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon, it's an old Canadian law. Customs will not allow it, it has to do with importing a car.

I would suggest making friends with some others on your cruise and look into renting a van if they are non Canadian.

We ended up getting hooked up with a local tour guide through Dyea Dave as he was already booked. They really understand the problem for Canadians.

We are travelling on a budget too so I was very interested in your thread.

Nice to meet another Canadian! A little embarrassed though about that odd law! We are talking about making some friends on the cruise, but I was also interested in your comment about Dyea Dave - not too sure what type of tours he has. I have somehow missed hearing about him. Any additional info would be great.

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice.

Was also wondering about the Muir Woods - is this worth fitting in to 2 days or should we just enjoy the city this time?

In my opinion, Muir Woods is not to be missed, if you have a rental car and can get there and back easily. Even my then 3 year old loved it! However, if you don't already have a car, you might want to wait until the next trip.

We also loved the big Farmer's Market that is along the Bay. Fantastic food!!! We bought various goodies and made a picnic out of it.

Have fun. :)

Corie

We are cruising in September with our 2 children 10 and 13. Unfortunately, our budget for excursions is quite tight as we splurged on the 14 day cruise. I have a draft itinerary and would love to hear any comments or changes we should make.

Skagway (port 7-8) Explore Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park and hike to Lower Reid Falls (if we are not getting hiked out).

Victoria (port 8-3) Take taxi or gray line bus to Butchart Gardens

Not sure if you have the wrong area, but Lower Dewey Lake is a great hike and very scenic. Trailhead from Spring, between 3-4th across the tracks. Reids Falls, is a flat walk through the city, to the Gold Rush Cemetery, the a 5 minute walk to this water fall.

With your port time, you can also take a cheap city bus to Butchart. Pick up is on Douglas, down a couple blocks from the Empress. There is a visitor center right on the inner harbor, for further information.

Not sure if you have the wrong area, but Lower Dewey Lake is a great hike and very scenic. Trailhead from Spring, between 3-4th across the tracks. Reids Falls, is a flat walk through the city, to the Gold Rush Cemetery, the a 5 minute walk to this water fall.

With your port time, you can also take a cheap city bus to Butchart. Pick up is on Douglas, down a couple blocks from the Empress. There is a visitor center right on the inner harbor, for further information.

Trying to understand the hiking trails I printed off the internet - so, I assume you would recommend the Lower Dewey Lake hike?

Had no idea we could take a city bus to Butchart - that is awesome! I guess we can just check that out when we get there? Any other suggestions for Victoria?

Thanks so much for your help.

Trying to understand the hiking trails I printed off the internet - so, I assume you would recommend the Lower Dewey Lake hike?

Had no idea we could take a city bus to Butchart - that is awesome! I guess we can just check that out when we get there? Any other suggestions for Victoria?

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, the Lower Dewey Lake trail is excellent, for more energy- look also at the Upper Dewey Lake trail. :) Sounds like you hikers could manage it fine. :)

Look at Victoria Regional transit, and bus 76.

Nice to meet another Canadian! A little embarrassed though about that odd law! We are talking about making some friends on the cruise, but I was also interested in your comment about Dyea Dave - not too sure what type of tours he has. I have somehow missed hearing about him. Any additional info would be great.

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice.

I am booked on the Carcross, Yukon, and Emerald lake tour with Dyea Dave in July. He will be picking us up in his van right from the docks and will drop us off about 7 hours later. He also has tours that are not as long. I had heard about him through this board and I am very excited for this tour. I emailed him through his website and he replied the very next day. His tour is very affordable and he seems very knowledgable about the area. When he called me the next day we ended up talking for about 45 minutes. He was telling me stories about Alaska and how he does his tours according to what his customers want. I would try to get in with him if I were you! Just do a search for him he pops right up. Good luck!

That is what we thought too and then talked to some people who were dissapointed in it (Alcatraz)- so we were still debating it. I didn't say much about San Fran because I didn't expect the Alaska board to really be the place - but this has been awesome.

We were in San Francisco a few years ago and did the Alcatraz tour and the Muir Woods tour. Both were unforgettable; amazing. You take a boat to Alcatraz and it is a very interesting tour. Everyone gets a headset and it lasts a couple of hours. It's also very reasonably priced. But book early as they tend to sell out.

Muir Woods was just gorgeous. Huge redwoods and a beautiful area.

You can't go wrong with these two events. if I had to pick one it would be Alcatraz but my wife would pick Muir Woods!

Archived