Non Cruisers perception of cruises

rool

I don't get how cruising is so much cheaper than land-based vacations. Maybe for a couple that's more true that for a family.

We just took a 5 night cruise for the 3 of us and it was $2,200 for a 2nd deck, outside cabin. We didn't have airfare to deal with, so that's somewhat out of the picture. On top of the $2,200, you're looking at another $200 for tips, $300 - $400 for a couple excursions and say $200 for drinks, trinkets, etc. So let's just say around $3,000 or $600/night.

Maybe I'm shopping in the wrong places, or maybe I'm just looking at my cruise during Spring Break, but I can stay at a pretty damn nice hotel and eat some pretty decent food for $600/night.

Heck, I could use frequent flier miles and go to some 3rd world country and live high on the hog for a month on that kind of dough.

When I asked my sister if she would go with me on a cruise for my bday last year, she kind of hesitated. Well I convinced her to go with me and she LOVED it!!!! She later told me that when I said "cruise" all she could think of was Kathie Lee singing "If they could see me now..." LOL ;)

As to the swingers, maybe there's just some code word on one of those posts on the community bulletin board down by the pursar's desk that we are all missing. So, far I've just seen "Bill" and "Dorothy" and people looking for bridge partners. Has bridge taken on a new twist???

Maybe I'm shopping in the wrong places, or maybe I'm just looking at my cruise during Spring Break, but I can stay at a pretty damn nice hotel and eat some pretty decent food for $600/night.

I agree.

I travel with a family of 4 and will tell you, crusing is not cheaper then an AI. Make sure you look at ALL that cost you extra on the cruise and you will find an AI-now expecially are much cheaper.

For instance-Talk about loyalty and a rewards program:

One resort chain is giving me one free night for my family of 4 to vacation with them. That is equal to a gold member on RCCL. I've only vactioned there one time!!!

I love to cruise though............ :)

The 2 most common reasons my non-cruising friends give for not going on a cruise is

1. I will get bored

2. I will get sea sick

Although the second one is (remotely) possible I doubt if the first one is likely.

Somehow I don't see how you can be bored. To those of us who love cruising , we would LOVE to be stuck on a ship for a week or two.....lol.;)

Getting sea sick.....possible............ but that situaton is reduced by cruising for example, from Miami into the caribbean in lets say.....April & May, when you can fuigure the weather and water to be rather calm. It's a good way to start .

Before my first cruise, all I knew about cruise travel was from the old "Love Boat" series. I thought all the women by the pool would be built like Victoria Secret's models!

Well, that would still be true if Victoria's Secret models were very hairy men dressed in too small Speedos.

I honestly just love the water. I grew up in a town on the Mississippi River, and we spent all of our summers on the boat or on the "beach". My dream would be to do a transatlantic because we'd be at sea for DAYS at a time! I don't even need the ports. Just let me go to that top deck and be surrounded by the blue stuff. The salty air, the wind blowing in my face... that's when I can relax.

Archived