Non Cruisers perception of cruises

rool

For my friends, it's getting the time off work to go. The pricing is not the sticky part. Even for a 3 day cruise over a weekend, you are looking at 2 days off of work.

I honestly had forgotten about cruising until earlier this year when I looked again, they really are very inexpensive when compared to other forms of vacationing.

Someone that cruised for the first time said this to me. They didn't care for it and rather be at an all-inclusive resort. Go figure.

I tried an all inclusive resort once and although the place was gorgeous and the beach was paradise, there was nothing to do outside of the resort and the resort did not have any organized activities at night, so it got kind of boring. I think the ships do a great job of organizing activities and keeping people entertained.

Although I like cruising I would NEVER consider ONLY cruising for a holiday. That to me, would be every bit as boring and redundant as going to the same all inclusive land vacation every year.

And you can argue that at least you can see different places each time you cruise, which it true, BUT you still see VERY little of the port you stop at. What OKH said is spot on, anyone who writes off an island based on what they see in a few hours off the cruise ship is only kidding themselves. In fact a strong argument could be made for saying that you haven't even really visited a place if you only did it from a cruise.

Variety is the spice of life.

We like to mix up land vacations, road trips and cruises.

I tried an all inclusive resort once and although the place was gorgeous and the beach was paradise, there was nothing to do outside of the resort and the resort did not have any organized activities at night, so it got kind of boring. I think the ships do a great job of organizing activities and keeping people entertained.

I agree. I feel that cruising gives you the best dollar value for your money and time.

Granted you do get a mere sampling of the ports. You don't get the chance to live the life of the island/city/country you are visiting. It is a rather buffet kind of way to travel. But I think it gives me a good enough taste to decide whether I want to go back and do a land based trip there.

I'm one of those seasick-prone people (REALLY a big issue), but with the patch - I can do certain cruises. I don't like AIs, and I tend to prefer flying to a location and spending time exploring that - but sometimes, a cruise is just the best way to go. We tend to pick a cruise based on the destination - Med cruise, Alaska, Panama Canal, where - to me - a cruise makes a ton of sense. I'm been to Europe a bunch of times (on pleasure and business), so I can visit Rome, Budapest, Istanbul - whatever - and enjoy that. I do like the "stop here, and there" of a cruise for a simple vacation. I would love to take a cruise that goes to Egypt - it's on my list... I just want to see the pyramids - don't really want to stay there a long time. I'm not a big caribbean cruise fan, because it's so easy to fly to the islands, and I love the relaxing for a week. My one exception is that my family booked on the Oasis of the Seas early next year. It's the first time I've gotten excited about the actual ship, and I'm looking forward to it. I've been to all the stops - so I'm not even sure if I'll get off the ship when it's in port :D. I always get a balcony (am claustrophobic), don't take a cruise that does alot of open ocean (transatlantic - hurricane Camille - you get the picture) - but I'm easily entertained. I can be just as happy reading a book on the deck, going to a lecture or exploring all the many activities cruise ships have.... My first cruise experience was horrible (that hurricane Camille thing) - but I'm glad I tried again. Having been on HAL, Crystal, Princess and Celebrity - I now know what I like and don't like, and what is important to me (I think everyone really needs to figure that out to really enjoy a cruise) - and what to do if something isn't working for me. So RCL is my next cruise, but I'll do a couple land vacations in the meantime.... :cool:

Wow this post is making me laugh. I love some of the comments: cruisers are pod people; nbsjcruiser, you SAVED a chair?; cruising is like having a 'sampler plate'; I haven't found the swingers either. Keep the giggles coming. Thanks.

Although I like cruising I would NEVER consider ONLY cruising for a holiday. That to me, would be every bit as boring and redundant as going to the same all inclusive land vacation every year.

And you can argue that at least you can see different places each time you cruise, which it true, BUT you still see VERY little of the port you stop at. What OKH said is spot on, anyone who writes off an island based on what they see in a few hours off the cruise ship is only kidding themselves. In fact a strong argument could be made for saying that you haven't even really visited a place if you only did it from a cruise.

We have been on 13 cruises since 2000. I agree that you cant write off a place by only what you seen while on a cruise-- but none of the places I seen grabbed me-- except Aruba while on a cruise. So we decided on a land based vacation there instead of a cruise-- (it costs the same as a cruise would have costs us) it was an awesome relaxing vacation.

Cruising is not for everyone- I ruined my best friend by sqawking in her ear how wonderful cruises are---needless to say the weekend was horrible- So bad that she will NEVER EVER set foot on another "boat" as long as she lives

I agree. I feel that cruising gives you the best dollar value for your money and time.

Granted you do get a mere sampling of the ports. You don't get the chance to live the life of the island/city/country you are visiting. It is a rather buffet kind of way to travel. But I think it gives me a good enough taste to decide whether I want to go back and do a land based trip there.

But, if you cruise often you can sample that port many times. We went on our first cruise some 15 years ago because we wanted to go on a land based vaca on a Carib island and didn't know which one to pick and we didn't want to pick one and have it be a horrible experience. Or feel like we were stuck on an island with nothing to do! "Some people can only lay on the beach and drink for so long!!!" Lol

Our first cruise was very port intense and we loved all the ports and I would have to say we packed a lot into our days, we got a very true feel for every island. The next year when we planned our spring break, we looked at the islands we had visited remembered our favorites and booked a second cruise!! Since then we have been on 10 cruises and visited near every island in the Carib! We love them all. Very few I would be willing to be "stuck" on for a week!! 1 or 2 ports I would stay on the ship rather than get off. And only 1 island that I feel I have seen every nook and cranny of! (St.Thomas). We've miss judged a few ports over the years and once a little more research was done we landed on a experience that equaled the worthiness of the port.

I find that most people who refuse to consider a cruise for a vacation experience have a hang up that isn't really about cruising. We have hooked many on cruising. We cruise often with 1 of my adult sibling. And 1 of my other siblings can't say enough nastiness about cruising. Even though she's never tried it. The mere fact that 2 of us love it so much makes her despise it!! Go figure what make people tick??????

I can see how people that have never tried a cruise may have this perception. What surpised me is that the couple that said this did try a cruise and they still felt "trapped" on the ship. Made no sense to me. They prefer an all inclusive. Isn't that worse???

We've spent a week at a condo in Florida before, where we barely saw the sun and it poured buckets all day, almost for the entire week. At least on a cruise you get a change of scenery daily. And there's nothing like waking up in the morning and pulling into a beautiful, new port. :D

When we booked our first cruise, my wife said she would get sea sick ( she didn't I did LOL ), would be bored, what if the ship sinks, cabin will be tiny. After the first cruise she wants to go all the time. Second cruise we took DD, and DS, who went with open minds, only problem is now they never want to stay home.We have our third, and fourth cruises booked, and are looking for more. I take bonine, and have no problem with sea sikness anymore.

The mere fact that 2 of us love it so much makes her despise it!! Go figure what make people tick??????

I know exactly what you mean! Last year we had some friends join us on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Mariner. It was her 50th birthday and her husband, who never had any interest in cruising, agreed to go. He got very sea sick about 10 years ago on a deep sea fishing trip, and swore he would never go on a cruise because he gets more sick than the average person. (one of those types...his is always worse!)

Now, my husband spent 4 years in the Navy and never got sick once on the air craft carrier; it was always the smaller boats they used to take them ashore that would cause him to get sick. I've been very sea sick on boats out on Lake Michigan (the Great Lakes can get very choppy and rough), but neither of us have ever been sick on a cruise ship. I take Bonine every night faithfully while we cruise, and bring enough for my DH, but he's never taken it.

We told our friend that if he was concerned, do what I do, and take the Bonine. Instead, he went to his doctor and got the patch and started wearing it the morning we boarded. Okay whatever, but the minute the ship started moving, we weren't even out in the ocean yet, while wearing the patch, he kept saying "did you feel that?!" "I can feel it rocking!" He spent the entire week worrying so much about getting sick, that I believe he worked himself up into a tizzy about it. Never once did he really "get sick" but we heard about it all week. And believe me, it wasn't even the slightest bit rough! We truly believe he wasn't into the cruise from day one because it wasn't something he really wanted to do. One of those!

Woah, sorry for the long post!

My parents took our girls on their first cruise, they were 14 and 11; a 4 day out of Miami, before my husband and I ever went! All we heard when they returned was, "you and dad would LOVE to cruise!" The next summer we all went, and now it's the only vacation we do. I am pretty excited to be sailing from LA this time. We've never been to California, and we're flying in a few days early to do some sightseeing. :D

Just like DDONALD said, I love cruising but I don't necessary cruise for the sake on being on a ship. I cruise because I want to see the places where the ship is going, I cruise for the itinerary. However, DH cruises to cruise because he loves being on a ship, and now that we have a child, we find that cruises are a much easier way to vacation than land trips, reason why we booked another Caribbean cruise for this Fall. Although for next year I did combine the best of both worlds for a Panama Canal cruise out of Miami, so now flying involved and I get to see some interesting ports I have never been to.

My thoughts exactly.

Our first cruise was done all wrong but still loved it. My family was sure they'd get sea sick and bored. I did a budget vacation for 4, stuffed in an inside cabin because I figured I'm not spending all this money if they are going to get sick and bored. Well-a great time was had by all. Did another one the next year with a much larger room and all was happy.

Still-we break up our vacations with AI's. Trust me-you pick the right one and so many activities are going on-you never have to leave the compound!! LOL

Cruising year after year and even multple times a year IMO would make the whole cruise experience wither each time. I love the feeling I get when I pull into port an see that ship and wonder-how this one will go.

We like to take a combination of land-based vacations and cruises ... just depends on what we feel like doing! I had never been to Lake Tahoe, so in October we went on an 8-day vacation to that area and also spent some time in San Francisco. Can't do that on a cruise!

You can go on a cruise - or to a resort - and just sit back and do nothing ... you can go on a cruise - or to a resort -and be very active ... just depends on what you feel like doing!!

If you want to explore an area in depth, it's probably better to take a land-based approach, but a cruise is the best way to sample a variety of different areas. And there is nothing like being able to sit out and gaze out to sea, day or night!

We agree that's is just about the best value per dollar you can get

One of our SILs won't take a cruise because "those ships are so dirty" and everyone always gets sick!! :eek: Doesn't matter that the rest of us have quite a few cruises between us and have never been sick and always raved about how great the ships have been!

Wow this post is making me laugh. I love some of the comments: cruisers are pod people; nbsjcruiser, you SAVED a chair?; cruising is like having a 'sampler plate'; I haven't found the swingers either. Keep the giggles coming. Thanks.

No - not me - my family does that. Plop a towel on a chair or a book - whatever. Enough to mark it as yours! I've never been on a All inclusive

We were a couple of the resisters.....didn't want to be "cooped up" on a ship for X number of days, didn't want to dress up (a major resistance), didn't want to see the same people over and over again. Then one of my lifelong best friends became a TA and told us to try a short cruise. She was very savvy, knowing we loved the Pacific NW, and booked us on a 3 night cruise out of Seattle on the Radiance, which was only a year old at the time. She also had the foresight to book us in a balcony cabin (talk about your hook!). We LOVED it! We discovered that it's not all like the ads and commercials with the thin beautiful people in their $500 "resort casual" outfits, standing around sipping champagne. There are NORMAL people on board too, and everyone is so friendly and nice. And of course, I became addicted to the concept of not having to cook or clean or even make up my bed!

We are getting ready to go on cruise #14 in a few weeks.......obviously our resistance was shattered.

Before my first cruise, all I knew about cruise travel was from the old "Love Boat" series. I thought all the women by the pool would be built like Victoria Secret's models!

The most common misconception I hear is that there's nothing to do on a cruise but visit different beaches every day. Trying to convince people that you could find LOTS to do without ever setting foot on a beach (if you are just not a beach person) is often difficult. I've hiked volcanic mountains, visited Mayan ruins, climbed waterfalls, explored rain forests, gone kayaking, river tubing, parasailing...the list is endless! And yes, I've visited beaches. But if that was the ONLY thing to do on a cruise, I'd get tired of it in a hurry!

The 2 most common reasons my non-cruising friends give for not going on a cruise is

1. I will get bored

2. I will get sea sick

Although the second one is (remotely) possible I doubt if the first one is likely.

I disagree. Cruises can get boring quickly if they aren't "your thing".

I've been on 2 cruises - one earlier this month and one 11 years ago. The recent one was better for several reasons. We took our 6 year old daughter with us (and she can always keep you busy), it was a longer cruise (5 days vs. 4 days) and it was on a better ship (Navigator vs. Carnival Ecstasy).

On the Carnival cruise, we got EXTREMELY bored and even resorted to just hanging out in our interior cabin from time to time. Other than drinking and sitting by the pool, there just wasn't much to do on the ship. Missing 1 port due to a hurricane and getting an extra "fun day at sea" didn't help matters much either.

On Navigator, there was a lot more to do on the ship (rock wall, mini golf, ice skating and others). But we still spent some time just watching TV in the cabin and some pretty significant time in the game room playing cards with DD.

If you're not into (a) hanging out by the pool, (b) gambling and © stage shows there really isn't that much left to on board. For me, the highlight of any cruise is definitely the time in port.

Cruises are fine for me, but I'm not like many here who are constantly counting down the days to their next cruise. I find cruises relaxing and stress free - and perhaps that's what many of you look for in a vacation. But I'd much rather most often have a more active vacation of hiking around a national park or shopping in a Bangkok market for hours on end.

I'm more of the "sampler plate" person myself - I want to see a little of everything.

Expanding on my prior post....

I think this is certainly the biggest difference between "cruise people" and others. To me, the "sampler plate" aspect of cruising is the most frustrating part. All you get to see of a location is enough to know that you need to go back and spend more time there.... and getting back is sometimes difficult to schedule.

I've enjoyed reading the many responses on this thread and my DW and I admit to harboring a few of the funny reasons people give for not wanting to cruise (cooped up in a closet, bored, Disneyland lines in a squishy space, a week of "Applebee's" type meals :eek: ...) We've decided to give cruising an honest try and after some research chose the AOS (southern) in a grand suite (taking the kids, 10 & 13!)

We avoided the inside cabin on a spring break mexican booze cruise for our first go... not out of snottiness... but rather wanted to give the cruise thing a fair assessment versus what we might otherwise choose from a land vacation. I'm also quietly hoping the family likes it as the low "hassle factor" of cruising is very appealing! :)

I think cruising most definitely has a place in one's travel plans, but it would be a shame to forego Yosemite, for instance, because it was not port accessible. Standing at the base of a 3,000 year-old giant sequoia and looking up nearly 400 feet humbles me and reminds me of my insignificance in the great scheme of things. I'm a definite cruising "johnny-come-lately", but thanks to uncle sam and my current employer I've been blessed with many travel opportunities in my life... from crawling through the Great Pyramids of Giza (awe-inspiring, but unfortunately smell of urine inside), to the steps of the Sydney Opera House... from walking the underground catacombs beneath St. Stephens Cathedral in Vienna (imagine 10,000 femurs all stacked like match sticks in huge vaults), to landing on tiny south pacific atolls. I've seen the destruction of war, yet been awed by the beauty man creates. I was quite moved touching the shackles and standing in the cells on Goree Island, Senegal (point of embarkation for all slaves headed to N. America)... having read of the horrific conditions and death they faced on their passage. (It does put into perspective the plentiful complaining about lack of chocolates on a pillow or only once-daily ice bucket refills by the cabin steward!)

We're eager to try our first cruise and see what all the excitement is about! We're also very appreciative of any tips veteran cruisers might share (without stealing someone's thread! :eek:)

"it must be nice to be able to afford to cruise."

We get that one a lot from our extended family. They live in one of the nations biggest tourist destinations and they don't understand that it costs us MUCH more to visit them and pay for food and entertainment than it does to cruise. Actually, we priced it out and it was almost TWICE as expensive. But they think we're independently wealthy and don't get it at all.

Archived