Non Cruisers perception of cruises

rool

We have only been back about 12 days, 3 hours and 15 minutes after our first cruise.

As a typical first time cruiser I have been telling anyone who will listen about our experiences and have had to dispel the usual rumours about it all being very posh and formal and just for more mature people.

Yesterday I spoke to a young lady at a place I was working who believed that all cruises had active swingers clubs operating on them.

If they did I missed it :rolleyes: but possibly another opportunity for another 'Friends of' type meeting???

*Just joking love if you're reading this at home*

Some people say the same things to us and add that they would not want to be "stuck" on a ship for a week. Oh well each to their own

Someone that cruised for the first time said this to me. They didn't care for it and rather be at an all-inclusive resort. Go figure.

Until you try it, you just don't know what it's like! My nephew was one of the "I don't think I could be cooped up on a ship for a week" people....he finally went on a cruise and he's totally hooked. Usually, once is all it takes!

I have had people say to me they rather an all-inclusive resort over cruising. While it is nice that everything is included I feel the all-inclusive is boring. I feel "stuck" on that tpe of trip. Don't get me wrong its is nice but to me a cruise is more active plus I get to visit someplace new everyday (or almost everyday). Pardon the pun...I feel more motion on a cruise!

Someone that cruised for the first time said this to me. They didn't care for it and rather be at an all-inclusive resort. Go figure.

My aunt says this all the time to me. She has never been on a cruise but will go to the same resort twice a year for the last 5 years, but then tell me that being on a cruise ship would be boring and you would never see anything new.

I have had people say to me they rather an all-inclusive resort over cruising. While it is nice that everything is included I feel the all-inclusive is boring. I feel "stuck" on that tpe of trip. Don't get me wrong its is nice but to me a cruise is more active plus I get to visit someplace new everyday (or almost everyday).

The people I know who have expressed this opinion have gone on to explain that being on a single island (or wherever) for a week or so gives them a chance to get out and explore more of the little nooks and crannies of that particular location.

I'm more of the "sampler plate" person myself - I want to see a little of everything. Although there have certainly been times I wish I had just a little more time in a particular port...

I have heard that it would be too cramped and claustrophobic! I suppose on one of the older ships in an inside cabin this might be true, but I don't find my bacony cabin that way at all!!!! Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

My mother and her husband don't like cruising because it isn't all-inclusive. They went on one cruise to Alaska and felt like everyone had their hand out all the time. My mom wants to plan a "whole" family trip with her two girls and husbands and kids and all my mom's friend's and their kids and grandkids. My husband and I have no kids and my dad lives with us (think he would be invited, HA HA HA HA HA HA). I personally don't want to spend my vacation time entertaining a bunch a people I don't know. I told her we could all go on a cruise together, there is something for everyone, but it was a no go. Oh well, her loss. At least I never have to worry about her wanting to come along with me.

We get a lot of, " I don't think I would like it!"

When we decided to cruise we short listed two types of tour. Obviously a cruise and the other was a coach tour of the Eastern USA & Canada taking in NY, Boston and the lakes.

What we weighed up was that on the coach tour there were long periods of driving, accommodation was in three star hotels (not that I have a problem with that), there would be packing and unpacking each night, there was no food included and none of the other benefits like entertainment etc. The cruise was just €600 more expensive than the coach tour.

We may be wrong but in the case of the coach tour we definitely decided that we don't think we would like it. We'd still like to do all of that part of the world though.

Until you try it, you just don't know what it's like! My nephew was one of the "I don't think I could be cooped up on a ship for a week" people....he finally went on a cruise and he's totally hooked. Usually, once is all it takes!

My aunt says this all the time to me. She has never been on a cruise but will go to the same resort twice a year for the last 5 years, but then tell me that being on a cruise ship would be boring and you would never see anything new.

I can see how people that have never tried a cruise may have this perception. What surpised me is that the couple that said this did try a cruise and they still felt "trapped" on the ship. Made no sense to me. They prefer an all inclusive. Isn't that worse???

The 2 most common reasons my non-cruising friends give for not going on a cruise is

1. I will get bored

2. I will get sea sick

Although the second one is (remotely) possible I doubt if the first one is likely.

Yes, # 1 is likely.

After only 5 cruises on 3 (all on RCCL but on diferent class ships) we would be bored if we did not have our balcony where we spend lots of time reading and just relaxing away from the crowds. Basically same food, shows, quest (great for teenagers) and newlywed shows, bingo etc. Same items in the stores on board.

But.. it is a great way to get away for a few days at relative low cost.

Our family does the all inclusive every year for 2 weeks at a time. The day goes something like this:

1. Get up at 6am, run down to the beach and reserve a chair. Go back to bed.

2. Get up later, eat breakfast go down to the beach and get some sun and swim

3. Drink

4. Eat lunch

5. Go down to the beach and get some sun and swim

6. Drink

7. Eat dinner

8. Watch a show or drink

Day's 2-14 repeat steps 1-8 above.

No thanks. You can do that on a cruise if you want but of course the booze will cost you. As near as I can tell its all about the free booze. Personally, I like to see something of the world. During the past 8 years we've visited Miami, FLL, Orlando,Grand Cayman, Jamaica,Mexico, Bahamas, St Thomas, St Maarten, San Juan, Antigua, Turks and Caicos. During those same 8 years my siblings have visited resorts in Mexico, Dominican and Cuba. Its wash riinse and repeat every 3 years. While its not enough variety for me I would like to do an all inclusive in Cuba some year just to spend a couple afternoons in Havana.

I love when I get the whole - "it must be nice to be able to afford to cruise." When I tell them how inexpensive it is compared to land based vacations having to include food they are usually pleasantly surprised. Especially since we don't pay airfare b/c Cape Liberty is only a short drive away.

Plus I always tell people it's the ultimate way to get away and you wake up in a new place every day!

And the ever famous... "I couldn't be on a BOAT that long..." :rolleyes: I tell them - "it's not a dingy, it's a floating town on a ship!" :p

I'm a first timer myself, so these are all really just perceptions and not facts.

When I travel I like to feel that I'm "in" a place. As an example, I'm a diver and I love to go to Cozumel. When I go there, I can (and do) go into town, eat, drink, hang out, mingle with the locals and really soak it in. In fact, I've always felt bad for the cruisers (divers call you pod people ;)) that think Cozumel (or any number of different islands) is a Carlos and Charlies and jewelry stores on the malecon.

Probably one of the reasons I'm so disappointed that I'll only be in San Juan in the middle of the night and I won't have a chance to visit the Spanish encampments on the islands or even just eat a meal at a local restaurant.

Archived