After cruising on the Liberty and the Adventure.....

Would it be hard to sail on the Serenade? I really want to do the Barbados route out of San Juan, next summer, but I was hoping for a Freedom class ship to replace the Adventure. I love the promenade and am not sure I'd be just as happy on the Serenade. It will just be my DH and I (no kids) and maybe some friends.

For those who have sailed on her or that class of ships, would you please tell me what you liked the most about them?

Thanks!!!

I know exactly how you feel...afer sailing the Voyager and Freedom, I thought that the Serenade would be boring (our Alaska cruise). Took 17 of my family members and boasted about RCl, most of the family are HAL die hards. Well, it was great...family members loving it as well. The tall glass windows are all over the ship and so beautiful. The night life is good, and the entertainment is fun.

I do have to admit though, there is, to me and my DH and kids, more of a wow factor on the bigger ships. I have to say, I truly love the Promenade, I am hooked. HOWEVER, you can't go wrong on the Serenade. It's a personal decision, and if you are waivering at all, and think it's not for you, you may be happier on the bigger class ships. But on the flip side, it's always good to try something new!!!

Happy Sailings :D

Would it be hard to sail on the Serenade? I really want to do the Barbados route out of San Juan, next summer, but I was hoping for a Freedom class ship to replace the Adventure. I love the promenade and am not sure I'd be just as happy on the Serenade. It will just be my DH and I (no kids) and maybe some friends.

For those who have sailed on her or that class of ships, would you please tell me what you liked the most about them?

Thanks!!!

We just got back from last week. Please read my review and you will see how wonderful this ship is!! We also have been on both the Liberty and Voyager/Explorer, but the Serenade is just a totally different experience. My review is named Serenade Review 4/11-4/18 Fabulous. Going on her again (we hope) for a back to back in 2 years. You will love this ship, so beautiful and the staff is the best ever.

I did the Jewel after Voyager class ships and it wasn't exactly disappointing, but I really missed the promenade and extra room of the bigger ships. While I liked the Radiance class, I like Voyager and Freedom hands down. At the same time, if the itenerary and price was right I would still sail on a Radiance class again. They're just very different and the pool deck on the Jewel felt crammed in the Caribbean.

We have cruised (in order) Navigator, Explorer, Serenade, Independence.

I love the activities on the larger ships but I have to say that the Serenade is the most beautiful. We did a 14 day Alaska cruise and we loved all the glass- there are floor to ceiling windows in so many of the bars!

I really liked the darker colors of the staterooms too. And this ship was really easy to get around after being on the larger ones.

The food was excellent and the service was the some of the best we have had with RCI.

We did find that we missed Boleros and didn't think the entertainment was as good (but perhaps it was the itinerary- it was a repositioning cruise).

In all, the Serenade is my husband's favorite and my second favorite (after the Indy) so if there is a good itinerary I would say try it!

I agree with Emi's Mom! :D What you get with Serenade is one awesome itinerary. I LOVE the Voyager and Freedom-class ships and definitely prefer them to Radiance-class, but we were so busy on Serenade's itinerary that I didn't have time to stop and think about how much I missed my Royal Promenade. Serenade is a beautiful ship so it was well worth spending a week onboard just for the itinerary alone.

The Radiance class ships are my personal favorite. Serenade is a Radiance class ship. IMHO, they are way better than the Voyager class or the Freedom class. It is really a personal preference. The following thread will give you some insight....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=575048

I have cruised both on the Adventure and Liberty and I still hold very fond memories of the Serenade and I would on her in a flash. I love all the glass which makes for great views and absolutely adored the thermal suites which are not available on either the Voyager or Freedom class.

The Serenade's southern itinerary is hard to beat as it is port intensive.

You will not be disappointed :D

Our first RCI cruise was on Sovereign of the Seas and we really liked it, but we were thrilled with the Adventure. When we sailed on Vision, we felt that there wasn't as much to do, mainly because we liked walking along the Promenade and the shops and cafes as well as Johnny Rockets. The intinerary would have to be special for us to sail on a ship that wasn't in the Freedom or Voyager class.

As far as the ship size is concerned, after sailing on Freedom class, the Voyager class seems just right.

Our first cruise was on the Explorer and our second cruise was on the Serenade. We loved both ships but the Serenade was definitely our favorite of the two.

Why?

- beautiful, elegant ship

- a lot of glass which allows you to see the ocean from many places

- outdoor dining area at the windjammer

- thermal suite

- Seaview cafe

- two specialty restaurants

- covered Solarium

- amazing itinerary

- self levelling pool tables (didn't use them myself but it was very neat to watch)

Thanks!!!

As a fan of the Voyager and Freedom class ships, there are two things that really stand out as differences in my opinion.

First is the Promenade. ( and I'll get back to that in a momemt )

Second is the Pool deck.

The Radiance class ships have a rather small main pool area that is kind of recessed in the middle of the ship. When I look at my pictures I really see the difference between Serenade and the others. However, the Serenades' port intensive itinerary negates the importance of it somewhat as opposed to large ships which may have three cruising days. And in defense of Radiance class ships, their solarium is very nicely decorated.

Back to the Promenade..........

When on the larger ships, the promenade itself is someplace to go. It hosts parades & parties as well. On Radiance class........... nope. The only interior pubic space of consequence is just a small area with a few shops with the photo gallery at the end. The other "public" areas are really just entrances to lounges. When the photo area is open............it chokes up the little hallway to the point you can hardly move.

These are my observations. However...... I can't say I didn't like Serenade at all, just not my first choice.

Archived