Buying prescription medications in mexico ports

woodley

I take a couple of prescription medications which are very expensive in USA (i have no prescription coverage) costing about $150 per month. When I was in Panama I could buy them at a pharmacy without a prescription for much less than I pay now.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do in Mexico and also would it be legal to take them back to the USA. I have a Visa to live and work in USA and would not want to do anything which could cause me problems later.

I take a couple of prescription medications which are very expensive in USA (i have no prescription coverage) costing about $150 per month. When I was in Panama I could buy them at a pharmacy without a prescription for much less than I pay now.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do in Mexico and also would it be legal to take them back to the USA. I have a Visa to live and work in USA and would not want to do anything which could cause me problems later.

i don't know what the rules are. but the movie The Terminal comes to mind.

I suggest you read the following:

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/health/a/mexicodrugs.htm

In particular note that you must have a valid US precsription to bring the drugs back into the US.

I read the whole article and it isn't worth it to me to get drugs in Mexico. The chance of counterfeit and/or substandard drugs that could make you even sicker is not worth the chance.

My wife and I have been buying our High Blood Pressure and Diabetes prescription drugs in Mexico for years. We go to a little town just West of Yuma called Algodonas. This town caters to gringos and there must be at least twenty drug stores. The HBP drugs, we get, are made in the US, but the Diabetes drugs are from Mexico. U.S. Customs runs us through like cattle and the only questions they ask are "are these for you and do you have more then 90 days supply". When you get to Mexico, shop around and see what they have to offer, you might be surprised.

By the way, our blood pressure is in the normal range and sugar is doing fine after shopping in Mexico for over ten years.:) Have reduced our cost by 2/3rds.:D

I would think rx drugs such of blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. They wont really say anything. If you bring back a bunch of pain killers or something in that lines than they might look at it as your trying to sell them off.

The rule is exactly what was reported. The drugs must be for your own use and may not be more than a 90 supply. What is highly counterfeited is the sexual stimulating class of drugs(****** etc)...which I wouldn't buy overseas but most of the reputable drug stores know if they sell ONE counterfeit and someone finds it, they might as well close up....

LOL V I A G R A is not permitted to be posted on this website!..

The rule is the same from Canada and everywhere 90 day supply for your own use.

I wonder how many of you realize that the drugs you are buying here in the US that 20% of finished generic and OTC drugs are made in China and India. 40% of the key ingredients to drugs are made in those countries?

Cant trust drugs in Mexico? China cant even make good toothpaste without making people sick.

Still feel safe?

My last two times two times in Cozumel I bought some amoxicilin. Came in very handy when one person in the house was diagnosed with strep throat and everyone else got it. It was great as we knew what ever one had but didn't need to take everyone to the doctor with the added expense.Also shorted my time with the flu. I paid a fraction of the price in Cozumel than I would have in the US. Also, last time I went a friend asked me to pick up a sexual stimulant drug (V****). He said it was the exact same as he gets from his doctor and worked the exact same. Price wasn't that much cheaper in Mexico but enough to save a few dollars.

I wonder how many of you realize that the drugs you are buying here in the US that 20% of finished generic and OTC drugs are made in China and India. 40% of the key ingredients to drugs are made in those countries?

Cant trust drugs in Mexico? China cant even make good toothpaste without making people sick.

Still feel safe?

Ron' date='[/color'] you sure hit the nail right on the head. ;)Good for you.

I would much rather take a chance buying health products from Mexico than China. Besides when I buy my meds in Mexico, I can also pick up a liter of Kahlua for $9.:D Saw it today in Safeway for on $31.:eek:

Myself and other members of my family have bought 'drugs' in MX for years. Of course they are prescriptions drugs here in the USA but over the counter down there and MUCH cheaper.

The only questions asked when coming over the border - if there IS even a question asked - would be "Is this a 90 day supply?" They've never even ased us if these are for us which is good because I don't like to lie. I do get something once in awhile for someone else. And no, we're not talking about questionable things, but things like high blood pressure meds or cholesterol pills, for acid reflux, etc.

No one that I personally know has had any problems from these medications and their health conditions are stable.

We get the MX brand of Advil down there. Incredibly cheap and just as effective.

The last time I went I had about 8 different kinds of drugs in one bag and had 5 purses I had bought. 4 were name brand (fake of course) and the other was not. The guard didn't even pay attention to the meds but was very interested in knowing if I was a 'dealer' for the purses. I had to convince him they were all for me except one that was a gift. I have a purse fetish - what can I say?!:eek:

OP I feel you will be fine and safe buying your meds there. I have bought some of my meds for years from an online Mexican pharmacy and never had one issue. I also bring back Retin A for my sister every time we go to Mexico and never had an issue. I do agree with others that I might not feel too safe bring back pain killers, but other than that, I feel you will be totally OK.

We've bought an allergy nasal spray for my wife in Thailand, Peru, Jordan, Egypt, Mexico, and probably a few more I can't remember. Never a problem. And much cheaper. For example: How about $8 for a spray that's close to $100 in the states? Big pharma is a big rip-off in this country.

Much of that scare stuff cited above is big pharma propaganda, because they love their fat profits and outrageous executive compensation. Most of 'em are now run by ex-Procter & Gamble marketing execs, not physicians or scientists. It's all about creating large markets where none existed before (even conjuring up new maladies like "overactive bladder") and then selling a drug with potentially dangerous side effects that you have to take every day in order to fatten their coffers.

Much of that scare stuff cited above is big pharma propaganda, because they love their fat profits and outrageous executive compensation. Most of 'em are now run by ex-Procter & Gamble marketing execs, not physicians or scientists. It's all about creating large markets where none existed before (even conjuring up new maladies like "overactive bladder") and then selling a drug with potentially dangerous side effects that you have to take every day in order to fatten their coffers.

This is pretty funny coming from someone who regularly chastises other posters for making broad generalizations, using provocative language, etc.:rolleyes:

This is pretty funny coming from someone who regularly chastises other posters for making broad generalizations, using provocative language, etc.:rolleyes:

Sorry if you don't like it, pal. Drug prices in this country are a serious scandal, and one of the major reasons why we pay twice the percentage of GDP for health care than every other first-world country. If you think differently, I'm sorry. Why do you think people are going to Canada to buy drugs? Because they like the "ports?" Back to your horses.

And I'll note that your only substantive contribution to this thread [ "In particular note that you must have a valid US precsription to bring the drugs back into the US."] turned out to be just another phony scare tactic.

I buy my prescription eye drops in Mexico for less than 1/2 of the USA pharmacy cost. They are over the counter in Mexico - same brand and refrigerated, as required. My eye doctor looked them over and said he saw no problem. There are several farmacias in the Cozumel shopping area - near the square. I also pick up retin-A in Belize at the pharmacy located in the port area.

Funny story ...

We were in Cancun for our honeymoon and I developed (what I thought was) swimmer's ear.

Speaking only broken Spanish, DH & I went to a pharmacy and tried to describe the problem "agua ear" - and I'd point to my ear.

They handed us some medicine, we went back to the room and DH plopped some drops into my ear.

In about 3 minutes, I couldn't feel the entire side of my head, my ear and my neck down to my shoulder.

The medicine turned out to be novacaine.

Whoops!

We have purchased RX drugs in Mexico for several years without any problems whatsoever. We have never been asked for proof of our prescriptions.

We cruised to Mexico several years ago and my son had forgotten his persciption allergy medicine at home...we were able to walk into a pharmacy and purchase his med without a percription and for a lower cost...no problems.

Sorry if you don't like it, pal. Drug prices in this country are a serious scandal, and one of the major reasons why we pay twice the percentage of GDP for health care than every other first-world country. If you think differently, I'm sorry. Why do you think people are going to Canada to buy drugs? Because they like the "ports?" Back to your horses.

And I'll note that your only substantive contribution to this thread [ "In particular note that you must have a valid US precsription to bring the drugs back into the US."] turned out to be just another phony scare tactic.

Sorry, pal, but you're wrong about what I said being 'just another phony scare tactic". I suggest you read this from the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana:

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/buying_prescription_medications_in_mexico.html

Pay particular attention to the part below highlighted in bold that applies to controlled medications. Of course I'm sure you know more about the law than the United States Department of State.

:rolleyes:

Information For residents and visitors

Buying Prescription Medications in Mexico

Mexico’s laws governing medicines are similar to those in the United States. Any drug classified as a controlled medicine cannot be purchased in Mexico without a Mexican prescription. This prescription must be written by a Mexican federally registered physician. Purchasing a controlled medicine without a valid prescription in Mexico is a serious crime for both the purchaser and the seller. Purchasing a controlled medicine with a U.S. prescription is not sufficient and is illegal, regardless of what the Mexican pharmacy may be willing to sell to the purchaser. By law, Mexican pharmacies cannot honor foreign prescriptions.

In Mexico, medications such as Valium, Vicodin, Placidyl, Ambien, codeine, pseudoefedrine, Demerol, morphine, and Ativan are not legally sold over-the-counter without a valid prescription from a Mexican physician. If the purchaser succeeds in purchasing controlled medicines without a prescription, Mexican police can arrest the purchaser and vendor and charge them with possession/sale of a controlled substance. The sentence for possession of a controlled substance runs from ten months to fifteen years in a Mexican prison. Making such an illegal purchase also puts the buyer at risk for various extortion scams perpetuated by police officials (who sometimes work in league with the very pharmacy that sold the medication).

There are a number of medications considered controlled substances in Mexico which are not controlled in the United States. To find out if a medication is considered controlled in Mexico, purchasers should ask their Mexican physician or pharmacist. Purchasers may also refer to the following Mexican government website (in Spanish, listing generic and brand names) for information on controlled substances in Mexico: http://www.cofepris.gob.mx/pyp/estpsic/es.htm.

To bring the medications into the United States, travelers will need to show a valid U.S. prescription to the inspector at the Port of Entry. The U.S. prescription is in addition to the Mexican prescription used to purchase the medications in Mexico. For more information on bringing medications into the United States, purchasers may refer to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website: http://www.cbp.gov.

Over the last few years, there have been several highly publicized arrests of Americans purchasing controlled medications without a Mexican prescription. We hope to reduce the numbers of Americans arrested in Mexico for possession of controlled items by disseminating this information.

You may also be interested in the following from US Customs and Border Protection:

Medication/Drugs

The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) prohibits persons from importing into the United States any prescription drug that has not been approved for sale by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), or which is adulterated or misbranded within the meaning of the Act. Moreover, in those instances where a United States manufacturer makes an FDA-approved prescription drug and sends it abroad, the Act also prohibits any person other than the original manufacturer from importing the drug back into the United States. Thus, in virtually all instances, individual citizens are prohibited from importing prescription drugs into the United States.

And, a little something from the FDA on imported prescription drugs:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/special/testtubetopatient/imports.html

In particular, this excerpt is of interest:

"That means if you buy your high blood pressure or other medication from a foreign country because it's cheaper--even though a drug with the same name is approved for sale in the United States--generally the drug will be considered unapproved and the FDA's personal use guidance will not apply. The Drug Enforcement Administration has additional requirements for controlled drugs."

Archived