Priceline name your price hotels

tatay

I am seriously considering Priceline "name your price" hotelfor our August cruise. What I am not really sure is, how far back do you try and bid and book your hotel?

I would like some feedback from Priceline pros out there. Thanks in advance.

Signed,

Tatay, the priceline rookie

how far back do you try and bid and book your hotel?

At biddingfortravel.com, the answer they give (#2) to this question is: "There is no consensus answer to the best time to bid..." So, if you don't have a particular hotel in mind, and knowing that hotel rooms (generally) will be available somewhere even at the last moment, you might as well start bidding low about 2 months in advance, and gradually increase your bid over subsequent days as needed. It also is helpful to review winning bids to get a feel for the answer to your question along with determining an opening bid. If you have access to multiple computers, you can also add another degree of flexibility to your bids.

I am also considering using Priceline but a little scared :(

Has anyone gotten a bad hotel or location?

Have you been "walked" from a confirmed hotel when you arrived?

I would hate to arrive jet lagged in Europe & have to find another hotel or have a problem with my booking

Lyn

We got the hotel we wanted using advice from biddingfortravel, but I started bidding low several months out. I just decided what price I wanted based on what others had been getting then stuck to it. I bid every day until they came back with a counter offer that I could accept.

We consistently use Priceline for hotels. We do the same as Linda, start the bidding a few months out. We do not bid below a 3 star, and have never gotten a bad hotel. Some people can really get caught up in the bidding though, and pay more than what they could have done online through the hotel reservations line. Biddingfortravel.com gives you a VERY good idea on what the going bids are, and what hotels are accepting them...............

Priceline is an excellent source of deals on hotels - there is no definitive answer re booking period - try earlier and later.... you've nothing to lose by bidding early on anyways.

Also would recommend betterbidding as a source of information and how to make a successful bid. If you are planning on using Priceline, it helps to understand the concept of rebidding - it's not difficult at all.

Certain areas and hotels repeatedly use Priceline. But having said all that, you should also be checking web specials and deals for your destination - posters on some sites have been suggesting that with the current climate, many hotel chains are offering direct deals for not much more (or sometimes less) than Priceline and Hotwire.

I meant to add a p.s. - there have been thoughts that Priceline rooms were the not so good ones at a hotel..... in our experience they have often been rooms further away from the elevator (big plus for me) at the end of the hallway, and in all but one case have been excellent rooms.

I am also considering using Priceline but a little scared :(

Has anyone gotten a bad hotel or location?

Have you been "walked" from a confirmed hotel when you arrived?

I would hate to arrive jet lagged in Europe & have to find another hotel or have a problem with my booking

Lyn

Personally I wouldn't use PL for a hotel in Europe. Main reason is I am not familiar with the country..its neighborhoods(safety), size of rooms, amenities etc. A "good" location for me might actually be within 4 square miles. So I could end up in the outskirts of my desired location needing cabs, metros etc. to get to all points of interest. Whereas I like being in the middle of the action. You CAN go to the bidding sites listed here to find out which hotels are generally "won" for European cities.

I found some good rates for our upcoming Med cruise by dealing with the hotels directly. Had several hotels quote for my business.

That all being said, I guess if I were staying in the cities on an extended land vacation, for more than a couple days pre or post cruise, I just might do it to save money and be adventurous.

Good luck!!

If you do book, make sure that you follow up with an email or two confirming the hotel indeed has your booking in place. I have never been turned away in the US and have never recieved a less than acceptable room either.

To OP:

Alot depends on the time and place. If you are cruising out of Miami, check out the rates on the hotels' websites. If they are high beacuse of something going on in town, you can't expect to get half off. But if the hotels are offering really good deals, you can bid lower because they are obviously expecting more vacancies.

We usually go for a 4 star. 3 star might work if we aren't being too picky and want a night's sleep and not interested in many amenities. Can't go too wrong. Also make sure you know the areas you are bidding in. If you have to spend money on cabs to get everywhere, then the savings might not be so appealing.

I actually learned the procedures on the bidding sites listed and then "practiced" when we were just going out of town for a little getaway. When we didn't have any specfic needs. Helped me learn the rebidding rules and where to begin bids etc.

I use Priceline at least 50 times per year (heavy business travel). I have only ended up in a "bad" hotel twice. One time-my fault entirely. Boston-did not pay attention to the hotel zones, bid 2+* and ended up in a motel that was about 10 miles from Logan. Motel was clean and for about $30.00, I should not complain (just needed a place to lay my head before an early international flight). The other time-bid for LGA hotel-3.5*. ALWAYS have gotten the Crowne Plaza or Marriott. SOMEHOW, I ended up with a winning bid for something called the Terrace. Looked more like an apt than a hotel. Difficult to get to, not much for service. They did have breakfast included in the rate, but not what I expected. Still to this day do not know how I ended up with a room there.

READ BetterBidding and BiddingforTravel websites THOROUGHLY. KNOW what zones you need to bid. KNOW what the price is booking on other websites and at the hotel's website. DO NOT count on a heavy discount during peak seasons anyplace. Bid at least a 3* or higher. Bid about 40% below the lowest price found elsewhere and adjust your bid accordingly. Good luck!!!

I like hotwire better. You can use betterbidding for that site as well to see what hotel is being offered. No dickering, set price is already there, its a yes or no. Usually pretty good deals. On a cheaper hotel you dont get much discount, better for more expensive hotels.

I used priceline a bunch of time. I use the betterbidding dot com website in order to get an idea of the hotels. It also gives you tips about how to bid more than 1 time in a 24 hour period.

I then go to hotwire and see what the prices are there... for instance there was a 4 star hotel in miami the night we wanted to go for $80. I knew that was my high point. So I went to priceline started bidding at 50 and got it for 55. I knew I gould get it for $80... so I use that as my marker.

Usually if nothing great is showing up on hotwire.. your chances are low for priceline. I use both in order to get a great deal.

good luck!

Are there other sites like Better bidding or bidding for travel?

I find some of the answers to I.D. the hotel not very accurate, not even in the same area just a best guess answer:(

Remember, you are bidding for a geographic area. If specific hotels is a critical issue, don't use PL. Often, there will be more than one hotel at a level in a zone, so you can't "guarantee" a hotel. Also, you may be involuntarily "upgraded" above what you requested within that zone. If you don't look at the zone boundary maps, you've skipped an important step.

Finally, past "wins" is a good, but not perfect, guide to what you MAY get in the present. Accept that for what it is.....and if you can't seem to find your perfect hotel through PL history, then book it directly and ensure that you will stay at THAT hotel.

Also, you may be involuntarily "upgraded" above what you requested within that zone.

Yes, we had once bid at a certain star level for a nice hotel with free wifi and free parking and got involuntarily "upgraded" to a hotel with charges for wifi and parking -- completely negated the savings. All part of the game. :rolleyes:

I like hotwire better. You can use betterbidding for that site as well to see what hotel is being offered. No dickering, set price is already there, its a yes or no. Usually pretty good deals. On a cheaper hotel you dont get much discount, better for more expensive hotels.

Really? I never knew that. I always ordered those hotels that are like in the $30-40 range. I would be better off buying from Priceline maybe, I will give it a try.

I love priceline and only once has it bitten me (my past trip). A hotel had just been upgraded that was priced much lower than the rest of the 4* hotels in the zone ... I still saved $40/night over the direct booking price, but I ended up with a 3 mile walk to where I needed to be every day.

I generally find that priceline/hotwire rooms are the "less desirable" ones. In other words, they are at the end of the hall or right next to the elevator/ice machine. They may have a funky layout. They may not have ammenities that the hotel offers "all guests" like specific types of bedding. They may also have wierd bed configurations like a single queen instead of a single king. Other times, they may be the identical room you'd get if you booked directly. Sometimes it's just a guessing game.

I generally find that priceline/hotwire rooms are the "less desirable" ones. In other words, they are at the end of the hall or right next to the elevator/ice machine. They may have a funky layout. They may not have ammenities that the hotel offers "all guests" like specific types of bedding. They may also have wierd bed configurations like a single queen instead of a single king. Other times, they may be the identical room you'd get if you booked directly. Sometimes it's just a guessing game.

I guess it just depends on what hotel you get, as that's been the complete opposite of my PL experience. For one airport hotel at ORD, we did have a room that was very nice, but the location seemed to scream "PL room". I went up to ask the front desk for a different room and it was no problem. Same thing at PHL, but there the change resulted in a room on the concierge level and I received a free breakfast.

Lesson - if you don't like your room, simply ask politely for a change. If you learn how to use it, PL is a great tool for obtaining hotel rooms. Never pay rack rate!!

My only experience with Priceline, got a nice hotel for a decent price, but had no selection as to bed configuration. My friend and I (two older females) like each other a lot, but we don't sleep together, so needed twin beds. Following advice of others on this board, booked the hotel, then contacted the hotel directly to request twin beds. I was told the room I had booked was a double, with just one bed. Upon arrival at the hotel, had to pay extra to get a room with twin beds. So I wasn't a happy camper, and won't use Priceline again. While the price is good, if you can't get what you want, price isn't always the major factor.

Are there other sites like Better bidding or bidding for travel?

I find some of the answers to I.D. the hotel not very accurate, not even in the same area just a best guess answer:(

Nope, these are the only two. The hotels most used can change whenever. So there are no "sure bets" . Every once in a while we have assumed we were getting one and got a totally new one. But we have always ended in the area we wanted and same star rating.

That's why if we have a particular hotel in mind, we'll book somewhere else to make sure we get the room and property we want. When not picky, we find it great.

• Administrators
My only experience with Priceline, got a nice hotel for a decent price, but had no selection as to bed configuration. My friend and I (two older females) like each other a lot, but we don't sleep together, so needed twin beds. Following advice of others on this board, booked the hotel, then contacted the hotel directly to request twin beds. I was told the room I had booked was a double, with just one bed. Upon arrival at the hotel, had to pay extra to get a room with twin beds. So I wasn't a happy camper, and won't use Priceline again. While the price is good, if you can't get what you want, price isn't always the major factor.

Priceline NEVER has a selection for the bed configuration you are purchasing. If a particular bed configuration was essential to you, then using Priceline just plain wasn't a good idea for that trip. :( I'm sorry that you were disappointed, but Priceline does disclose in numerous places on the site, including right before you click that final "place my bid" button, that ALL you are guaranteed is a room with ONE bed to sleep TWO people. If that doesn't work for your party, Priceline isn't a good choice -- you can request different accommodations from the hotel, but may not receive them.

I've saved thousands of dollars on travel over the last ten years using Priceline, and only had a couple of mediocre experiences, thanks largely to the BFT site. Yes, the owner can be hard to deal with, but you don't actually have to post there to find a lot of info to guide you through the process. Sometimes I use Hotwire instead (when I can't get a PL bid accepted at a price I think is fair, for instance), and then I use the betterbidding site -- also a good one, but it's just a "best guess" type site.

I'd say the bottom line is that if your personal requirements for your trip mean you cannot accept any uncertainty about which hotel you will be in, or what bed configuration you will have, no "blind site" is a good choice for you.

Priceline NEVER has a selection for the bed configuration you are purchasing. If a particular bed configuration was essential to you, then using Priceline just plain wasn't a good idea for that trip. :( I'm sorry that you were disappointed, but Priceline does disclose in numerous places on the site, including right before you click that final "place my bid" button, that ALL you are guaranteed is a room with ONE bed to sleep TWO people. If that doesn't work for your party, Priceline isn't a good choice -- you can request different accommodations from the hotel, but may not receive them.

I've saved thousands of dollars on travel over the last ten years using Priceline, and only had a couple of mediocre experiences, thanks largely to the BFT site. Yes, the owner can be hard to deal with, but you don't actually have to post there to find a lot of info to guide you through the process. Sometimes I use Hotwire instead (when I can't get a PL bid accepted at a price I think is fair, for instance), and then I use the betterbidding site -- also a good one, but it's just a "best guess" type site.

I'd say the bottom line is that if your personal requirements for your trip mean you cannot accept any uncertainty about which hotel you will be in, or what bed configuration you will have, no "blind site" is a good choice for you.

Yup Michelle, you are right. That's why I don't use Priceline for hotels anymore. I do still like their site, and do purchase "name your own price" airfare when they offer it. Their prices can be great!

• Administrators
Yup Michelle, you are right. That's why I don't use Priceline for hotels anymore. I do still like their site, and do purchase "name your own price" airfare when they offer it. Their prices can be great!

Funny you should say that, and this illustrates why research is really important! I haven't bought a PL airfare since a routing several years ago, with a long layover. The initial flight left my home airport at 11:45 PM on the first "day" of my trip, and didn't arrive at San Francisco until something like 8 AM local time (11 AM back home). I was a zombie on arrival, begged the hotel for ANY room so I could sleep, and thus passed the second "day" of my trip. Now I'd consider PL for air, but only if I had an extra day to tack onto the trip to spend in transit (and sometimes I do -- so hopefully I can save some money that way)!

Funny you should say that, and this illustrates why research is really important! I haven't bought a PL airfare since a routing several years ago, with a long layover. The initial flight left my home airport at 11:45 PM on the first "day" of my trip, and didn't arrive at San Francisco until something like 8 AM local time (11 AM back home). I was a zombie on arrival, begged the hotel for ANY room so I could sleep, and thus passed the second "day" of my trip. Now I'd consider PL for air, but only if I had an extra day to tack onto the trip to spend in transit (and sometimes I do -- so hopefully I can save some money that way)!

Yup, you're right. Research is key! I've been pretty lucky in my airfares with PL. Got round trip from LAX to Vienna Austria for $459 (2001). Round trip LAX to Budapest $568 (2006). Flights weren't too bad, of course they were on Swiss Air and we had to stop in Zurich, but no horrendous tales like yours. Unfortunately they didn't offer me a name your price for my flight round trip to Paris in 2008. I went with another site for $549.

Lesson - if you don't like your room, simply ask politely for a change. If you learn how to use it, PL is a great tool for obtaining hotel rooms. Never pay rack rate!!

I've only once had room that I was completely unhappy with (I've enjoyed some of the funky rooms because they were on the corner, had good views, etc) and could not be moved because the hotel was full (and was eventually refunded by Priceline because of my problems). My experience is that some hotels treat you great, and others shrug you off as a discount booking. I had a bad experience with Hotwire once ... I used it so I could book a room for three people specifically and they still gave me a single king bed. When I complained, the person at the desk told me that if I wanted a specific room, I need to book it through their site. Thankfully Hotwire paid for the rollaway and gave me some future credit ... I can still remember my mom on that trip ... Tell them that this is still America and we don't sleep three adults to a single bed here .... :o

Archived