Ncl withdraws norwegian sun from alaska in 2010

cruizinpooh

Miami - Feb 10, 2009 --- Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today announced that for the first time in more than 11 years, the company will homeport a ship seasonally at Port Canaveral, Florida beginning October 2010. The 1,936-passenger Norwegian Sun, purpose-built for Freestyle Cruising, will sail alternating seven-day Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises from Port Canaveral, departing every Saturday from October 9, 2010 through April 16, 2011.

The Sun will do the winter in Pt Canaveral and summer in Europe

Okay, well at least I didn't imagine the whole thing.

It is not as simple as just transferring people from the Sun to either the Star or Pearl - there is only the slight problem of then having to go to Seattle instead of Vancouver.

For us locals here in Vancouver we will now have to endure 2 - 3 hour lineups at the border + $100.00 for a round trip bus/train ticket + perhaps an overnight stay in Seattle where the hotels aren't any cheaper than Vancouver.

Why couldn't NCL pull one ship out of Seattle and leave one in Vancouver.

No cheers in this post.

Dennis

Year round NCL ship allocations (starting early 2010):

Hawaii (1) POAmerica

Europe (1) Jade

New York (1) Jewel

Miami (2) Epic and Sky

Accounts for 5 of NCL's 11 ships.

Summer NCL ship allocations:

Alaska (2) Star and Pearl

New York (1) Dawn

Boston (1) Spirit

Europe (2) Gem and Sun

Winter NCL ship allocations:

New Orleans (1) Spirit

Miami (2) Pearl and Dawn

Port Canaveral (1) Sun

New York (1) Gem

Los Angeles (1) Star

So, not only has NCL repositioned the Jewel back to New York for the winter season, but they just now moved it back to New York for the summer season too.

So the only ships out of Miami in the spring 2010 are the Epic and the Sky? or will the Pearl and the Dawn be there too?

I've been wondering about the cheap prices on the Alaska cruise offers that I have been getting in emails lately $299 and $349 for seven day cruises with Princess, HAL and NCL. I feel bad for the people already booked, but I kept thinking if they can't sell them for more then that why don't they change to another region. I would love to have more options from Galveston or New Orleans, they are almost alway's full and very seldon are they cheap. It would be so nice to fly a shorter distance and have more choices.

have I missed something ? NCL still has not announced any Bermuda our of NYC after Sept 5th 2010.....no October cruises ???????

Both cruise ships going to Bermuda next year switch to Canada/New England itineraries. There's no NCL cruises to Bermuda next year in October, no are there any plans to do so.

Oh Man !!

I was really looking forward to the 1 way to Alaska. NCL did this a few years ago too, they had a 12 day further north and then cancelled it. Guess I'll just have to do round trip from Seattle again. :) (I LOVE Seattle) :D

won't this overbook the Pearl? I wouldn't think there'd be room to hold all the ones who have reservations NOW for Alaska, and then the ones that are transferred to her? :confused:

This is not affecting this summer. A year off, I would think less than a quarter of any ship is booked for next summer. As usual the ones most affective will be in the limited number of suites, so I would think it would be best for the suites to rebook as soon as possible.

So the only ships out of Miami in the spring 2010 are the Epic and the Sky? or will the Pearl and the Dawn be there too?

The winter season usually last until April, when you will see a reposition cruise for the summer season starting in May. The summer season usually last until October when you will see a reposition cruise for the winter season starting in November, or there abouts. Usually spring and fall are split for either the summer or winter seasons. With the cruising business don't think in calendar seasons, but in cruising seasons. Ships reposition for these cruising seasons.

As I recall Carnival, Princess, and Holland American have pulled one if not two ships each from Alaska, along with Royal Caribbean. NCL is joining the others. As I said before, if passengers won't pay the big increase of the head tax, neither will cruise lines. As it is the cruise lines don't earn that much profit on the cruises anyway. Why should Alaska earn more than the cruise lines?

I've heard that RCCL and Carnival have pulled a ship from Alaska for next year - not sure about Princess. HAL still has 8 ships in Alaska this year and 2010 - it's their summer specialty.

I wish they would bring back the Texaribbean cruise---that was one of the best cruises. I'am also happy to see the Sun in Port Canaveral. I think we will be doing more cruises in the next couple of years. Really want to try a suite on the Epic!!

Me too. Houston built a brand new terminal facility as well, sitting empty. Simply, as far as the rest of the nation is concerned, New Orleans is a better tourist town than Houston/Galveston, home of the largest chemical complex in the world. NCL just doesn't have the ships to homeport in every port city like Carnival.

Just received this email about my Sun South America cruise.

IMPORTANT:

CANCELLED SAILING INFORMATION

Dear Valued Guest,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Sun's 18-day Exotic Americas sailing from

Santiago (Valparaiso) on April 11, 2010. Today, Norwegian Cruise Line announced that Norwegian Jewel will move from

Europe to New York, sailing a combination of seven-day Bahamas & Florida, 10-day Canada & New England and 10-day

Eastern Caribbean sailings from April 24, 2010 through April 24, 2011.

Norwegian Sun which was scheduled to operate seven-day itineraries in Alaska for the summer of 2010 will be

redeployed to Europe and will assume the itinerary previously announced for Norwegian Jewel and sail a 12-day Baltic

Capitals itinerary from London (Dover) beginning May 11, 2010 through September 8, 2010.

As a result of this change, the above mentioned sailing has been cancelled. Norwegian Cruise Line is encouraging you

to transfer your existing reservation to Norwegian Sun's 15-day Panama Canal sailing from Santiago (Valparaiso) on

April 11, 2010. Guests moving to Norwegian Sun's Panama Canal sailing will have their current cruise fare protected or

re-priced if the new fare is lower. Guests will also receive a $100 per stateroom on-board credit ($200 on-board credit

for guests currently booked in suites and mini-suites) to be used on any expenditure on the ship.

Guests who wish to cancel their reservation may do so without cancellation fees. If we do not receive a response by

5:30 pm ET on Monday, May 11, 2009, your reservation on Norwegian Sun will be automatically cancelled and your

deposit will be refunded. We have set-up a dedicated support line that opens on Wednesday, April 29, 2009. Please

let us know your preference by calling us at (877) 461-1160 from 8am to 5:30 pm ET Monday through Friday.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to assisting you with your reservation

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Passenger Services & Revenue Management

Page 1

Same as one prior post, we too were on 6/16/2010 Jewel Baltic. Can't say I'm too happy.

I specifically picked this trip because of the ship since it is jewel class and we have been on Gem. The same type of room/location doesn't exist on Sun. I feel this is moving us from a Cadillac to Chevy.

I've done a bit of research in the past day, but what other key differences are there between these ships to help me keep an open mind?

Same as one prior post, we too were on 6/16/2010 Jewel Baltic. Can't say I'm too happy.

I specifically picked this trip because of the ship since it is jewel class and we have been on Gem. The same type of room/location doesn't exist on Sun. I feel this is moving us from a Cadillac to Chevy.

I've done a bit of research in the past day, but what other key differences are there between these ships to help me keep an open mind?

Yes, I was looking forward to Jewel and feel the same as you except I had not yet booked (fortunately maybe) and would really like to hear about the Sun before I make up my mind and start looking elsewhere.

I was also seriously looking at the Jewel for the Baltics next year. We're currently booked on a similar itinerary on the Disney Magic, but for the substantial price savings, we were thinking of switching to the Jewel. We were going to make a decision following our June Alaska cruise on the Sun. So, I guess now I'll know much more about the Sun before we decide and will have the benefit of comparing two ships we've sailed before!

I would expect the prices on the Sun to be lower than the Jewel prices were. . . older boat, less amenities, etc. Do others agree? Anyone have any idea when we'll get a look at the new rates?

Thanks

Leslie

Thats a bummer that they are switching the Jewel for the Sun overseas. We just sailed the Jewel last month. Not my favorite ship, but the Jewel is much better than the Sun that we sailed on along time ago. Of all the ships we have sailed on, the Sun was one of the least favorites. Hubby wanted to do a cruise overseas next year......I guess we will have to rethink that. :confused:

While the Sun is a smaller ship than the Jewel ... and does not offer some of the same higher end accommodations ... we really liked the Sun for the following reasons:

1) Nice size ... we enjoy the smaller ships for eaze of getting around.

2) Il Idagio and Pacific Heights Restaurants are INCREDIBLE and remain two of our favorites on any ship we've been on.

3) We were treated extremely well by the GREAT crew and staff.

We were on the Sun for 17 days for a Panama cruise ... didn't want to leave.

We did the Baltics a year ago on the Jewel. That was great as well. But, I really do think the Sun is a nice replacement for that itin.

JMHO ...

~dianne

The Canadians loved the Sun sailing from Vancouver during the Alaskan summer season. From the reviews I have read many loved the Sun sailing the South American cruises. NCL patrons loved her in New Orleans and Houston as well. While I consider the Spirit laid out better than the Sun, the Sun is slightly newer, but not as new or as large as the Jewel class. I can't wait to judge the Pearl of the Jewel class upcoming next month with the Sun and Spirit.

At least the Sun will be doing the Jewel's Baltic itineraries. NCL won't be doing the Sun's Alaskan Vancouver itineraries. I would say the British came out ahead of the Canadians. If you won't like her, Vancouver and Houston will be thrilled to have her back.

We were booked on Sun July 4, 2010. Got the message yesterday that they cancelled. No NCL trips Vancouver to Whittier and back.

So...will be looking to cruise on a different line next summer. Don't want to just do Inside Passage, there's a lot more to Alaska than that and we intend to spend a week between Anchorage and Whittier or Seward before the trip.

At the moment it looks like our choices are Carnival, Princess, RCL, HAL, Celebrity although Carnival and Princess don't have their 2010 June and July Alaska itineraries out yet. Have to wait a couple of weeks. So goodbye NCL boards..... at least for a while.

My letter for my cancelled Sun Panama Canal transit reads a little different than the one CatLady461 posted. Mine does not say my rate will be protected. And when I called, I was told that if I booked a comparable cruise on the Pearl it would be repriced $500 PP more - for a 2-day shorter cruise:mad:, and my BA cabin would become a BB because I was at the BB rate on the Sun (due to a "Welcome Back" credit on my Sun booking).

I asked for a supervisor and was told someone would call me back. I'm aggravated enough already to just cancel the thing, but I feel like I have to point out to someone that their own press release says fares will be protected.

Dear Valued Guest,

Norwegian Sun which was scheduled to operate seven-day itineraries in Alaska for the summer of 2010 will be redeployed to Europe and will assume the itinerary previously announced for Norwegian Jewel and sail a 12-day Baltic Capitals itinerary from London (Dover) beginning May 11, 2010 through September 8, 2010.

As a result of this change, the above mentioned sailing has been cancelled. We are encouraging all guests to book on any Norwegian Cruise Line sailing and receive a $100 per stateroom on-board credit ($200 on-board credit for guests currently booked in suites and mini-suites) to be used on any expenditure on the ship on a future sailing.

Guests who wish to cancel their reservation may do so without cancellation fees.

Archived