Ncl withdraws norwegian sun from alaska in 2010

cruizinpooh

My letter for my cancelled Sun Panama Canal transit reads a little different than the one CatLady461 posted. Mine does not say my rate will be protected. And when I called, I was told that if I booked a comparable cruise on the Pearl it would be repriced $500 PP more - for a 2-day shorter cruise:mad:, and my BA cabin would become a BB because I was at the BB rate on the Sun (due to a "Welcome Back" credit on my Sun booking).

I asked for a supervisor and was told someone would call me back. I'm aggravated enough already to just cancel the thing, but I feel like I have to point out to someone that their own press release says fares will be protected.

Dear Valued Guest,

Norwegian Sun which was scheduled to operate seven-day itineraries in Alaska for the summer of 2010 will be redeployed to Europe and will assume the itinerary previously announced for Norwegian Jewel and sail a 12-day Baltic Capitals itinerary from London (Dover) beginning May 11, 2010 through September 8, 2010.

As a result of this change, the above mentioned sailing has been cancelled. We are encouraging all guests to book on any Norwegian Cruise Line sailing and receive a $100 per stateroom on-board credit ($200 on-board credit for guests currently booked in suites and mini-suites) to be used on any expenditure on the ship on a future sailing.

Guests who wish to cancel their reservation may do so without cancellation fees.

All too often customer service reps haven't been fullly briefed when matters such as this arise and sometimes give wrong or incomplete answers. I suspect that this may be the case in your situation, expecially since you have the evidence of their press release. Hold your ground and, if you don't get a return call from a supervisor, call them again and state your position. While you would think that any cruiseline would make sure that their representatives fully understand any changes that are occurring it is all too often the case that the CSRs are among the last to get the word.:rolleyes:

At the moment it looks like our choices are Carnival, Princess, RCL, HAL, Celebrity although Carnival and Princess don't have their 2010 June and July Alaska itineraries out yet. Have to wait a couple of weeks. So goodbye NCL boards..... at least for a while.

Carnival has had their itineraries out for a few months. They are only doing roundtrips next year, no one ways.

Princess announced their itineraries in the last couple of weeks. You should be able to find info about those on the Princess board.

My husband and I sailed on the Sun in April of 2005 17 days

Panama Canal we realy like the ship and loved Tapas, we also sailed on the Dawn and the Pearl but we preferred the Sun due to is smaller size our travel plans have also changed for South America in April 2010.

Monika

I rec'd the e-mails today.. TA on April 11, 2010 was cancelled, as well as the 3 day 'short break' from Dover to Brussels and Amsterdam, after the TA..:(

Was offered an OBC, as well as price 'guarantee', IF we book the Sun TA on April 26, 2010, but don't know how the cabins on the Sun compare to the Jewel, and the NCL site isn't showing that specific itinerary anyway.. This was to be our first sailing on NCL!:o We had adjoining mini-suites on the aft (with friends from the UK)..

Guess I need to do some research/re-planning...:rolleyes::)

The Canadians loved the Sun sailing from Vancouver during the Alaskan summer season. From the reviews I have read many loved the Sun sailing the South American cruises. NCL patrons loved her in New Orleans and Houston as well. While I consider the Spirit laid out better than the Sun, the Sun is slightly newer, but not as new or as large as the Jewel class.

That is encouraging to know.

At least the Sun will be doing the Jewel's Baltic itineraries. NCL won't be doing the Sun's Alaskan Vancouver itineraries. I would say the British came out ahead of the Canadians. If you won't like her, Vancouver and Houston will be thrilled to have her back.

NCL have withdrawn the Jade from Southampton as of 2010 she will sail from Barcelona, so one ship lost and one replaced. Shame Vancouver is losing so many ships too but at least Seattle is only a few hours drive away and there will still be two NCL ships sailing from there.

I really do think that NCL is putting the ships where it sees the business as being and there must be very good reason to reduce ships in Alaska to two and to pull out of Vancouver totally.

I think the reasons for pulling out are certainly financial, and moving one ship from the UK into Europe and replacing the other with a smaller ship is another demonstartion of this. I don't think the British market brought up on Cunard and P & O have really gone for NCL but I also think NCL has done little to enlighten them either.

I have to say I am very disappointed in that we were really looking forward to doing b2b on the Sun in Alaska 2011. Also, I feel really badly for those who had already booked on the Sun 2010 and now will have to change their plans. I am sure NCL wil do something to compensate them, but as we all have seen in the past, it is rarely enough.

I have to say I am very disappointed in that we were really looking forward to doing b2b on the Sun in Alaska 2011. Also, I feel really badly for those who had already booked on the Sun 2010 and now will have to change their plans. I am sure NCL wil do something to compensate them, but as we all have seen in the past, it is rarely enough.

Terry,

So sorry to hear about this as I know how excited you where to be planning a B2B headed for Alaska on the Sun. Hope you can come up with something that is suitable for you and Doug and just as exciting.

I feel bad for those people on the baltic cruises next year, Nynäshamn is (at least) an hour away with bus from Stockholm. This summer the Jewel will be right downtown..

It's a joke to call Nynäshamn "Stockholm".

Or Warnemunde "Berlin" or Dover "London" and so on.

We loved the Sun. It's too bad, though, that like the Jewel, she's too big to go through the Kiel Canal. That was one of the highlights of the Baltic Cruise when NCL used the Dream for that cruise.

My letter for my cancelled Sun Panama Canal transit reads a little different than the one CatLady461 posted. Mine does not say my rate will be protected. And when I called, I was told that if I booked a comparable cruise on the Pearl it would be repriced $500 PP more - for a 2-day shorter cruise:mad:, and my BA cabin would become a BB because I was at the BB rate on the Sun (due to a "Welcome Back" credit on my Sun booking).

I asked for a supervisor and was told someone would call me back. I'm aggravated enough already to just cancel the thing, but I feel like I have to point out to someone that their own press release says fares will be protected.

Dear Valued Guest,

Norwegian Sun which was scheduled to operate seven-day itineraries in Alaska for the summer of 2010 will be redeployed to Europe and will assume the itinerary previously announced for Norwegian Jewel and sail a 12-day Baltic Capitals itinerary from London (Dover) beginning May 11, 2010 through September 8, 2010.

As a result of this change, the above mentioned sailing has been cancelled. We are encouraging all guests to book on any Norwegian Cruise Line sailing and receive a $100 per stateroom on-board credit ($200 on-board credit for guests currently booked in suites and mini-suites) to be used on any expenditure on the ship on a future sailing.

Guests who wish to cancel their reservation may do so without cancellation fees.

There is another thread running about emailing the CEO of NCL. Your case seems like a good one for that procedure.

Was offered an OBC, as well as price 'guarantee', IF we book the Sun TA on April 26, 2010, but don't know how the cabins on the Sun compare to the Jewel, and the NCL site isn't showing that specific itinerary anyway.. This was to be our first sailing on NCL!:o We had adjoining mini-suites on the aft (with friends from the UK)..

Guess I need to do some research/re-planning...:rolleyes::)

The mini-suites on the Sun are larger than those on the Jewel, and you will love them. We had an aft mini-suite, and it was so comfortable; the bathroom was fabulous. Here's a link to some photos of Sun aft mini-suite 0067.

Here's a link to what I consider the best photography and review I've seen of the Sun: http://www.shipparade.com/cruise%20reviews/norwegian_sun/Norwegian%20Sun.htm There are a number of pages, so be sure to click through them. Click on each photo, and it will expand.

I saw this right before I first cruised on the Sun and was so excited.

There is another thread running about emailing the CEO of NCL. Your case seems like a good one for that procedure.

Good news to report. It took 4 phone calls and getting bumped up two levels of Supervisors, but I did get my booking transferred and my rate protected, as well as previous OBC honored + the new $100 OBC that was announced for transferring the cancelled booking.

I got the feeling that everything in the system was geared toward the Alaska and Europe sailings and my Panama Canal cruise in the middle just got overlooked. Fixed now, at least for me and I hope for anyone else in the same situation.

I did lose out in one respect. On the Sun I had a forward-facing BA balcony that I really wanted for the Panama Canal day. There are no comparable BA cabins on the Pearl (that I had to switch to), but there are AC Suites in that location. I made an offer for an upsell, but they said they couldn't do anything with that now. They did say I should try again closer to the sailing date and see if anything changes, so I will do that. I didn't really expect anything else, but it would have been nice.

We are so disappointed!!

It took us forever to pick this cruise line and itinerary! We planned this northbound cruise as the first leg of our Alaskan road trip and now our choices are round trip or another line?!?

Since there is no way that we are taking a round-trip we're going to have to find another cruise line.

We were really looking forward to the whole freestyle thing. :(

Good news to report. It took 4 phone calls and getting bumped up two levels of Supervisors, but I did get my booking transferred and my rate protected, as well as previous OBC honored + the new $100 OBC that was announced for transferring the cancelled booking.

I got the feeling that everything in the system was geared toward the Alaska and Europe sailings and my Panama Canal cruise in the middle just got overlooked. Fixed now, at least for me and I hope for anyone else in the same situation.

I did lose out in one respect. On the Sun I had a forward-facing BA balcony that I really wanted for the Panama Canal day. There are no comparable BA cabins on the Pearl (that I had to switch to), but there are AC Suites in that location. I made an offer for an upsell, but they said they couldn't do anything with that now. They did say I should try again closer to the sailing date and see if anything changes, so I will do that. I didn't really expect anything else, but it would have been nice.

So far, so good. A very polite email to the ceo, thanking him for the good service to date and restating your interest in a better cabin upsell could likely not hurt your chances of getting one. Or at least so it used to be.

Here's a link to what I consider the best photography and review I've seen of the Sun: http://www.shipparade.com/cruise%20reviews/norwegian_sun/Norwegian%20Sun.htm There are a number of pages, so be sure to click through them. Click on each photo, and it will expand.

I saw this right before I first cruised on the Sun and was so excited.

Many thank you's for the 'site'.. :) I feel better already! :D

We were able to book AE cabins 'forward', tho' I really wanted aft, for the same pricing we had on the Jewel + OBC's if we switched to the Sun transatlantic....:p Very similar 15 day itinerary, with a twist, so we decided to "go for it"...

We enjoy the 'smaller' ships, so hoping the Sun fits our needs..!! After seeing the 'site' above, I'm sure we will be really happy!:cool:

We are booked for the Baltics on 8/3/10. We have sailed on the Sun three times before and she is one of our favorite NCL ships. Easier to navigate than the larger, more garish Jewel class.

We have a block of 4 rooms so it will be interesting to see if they can keep us together when they adjust to the Sun. This far out I can't see that it should be a problem.

We too wish NCL would come back to the Texaribbean. With RCL gone now, only Carnival is sailing from Galveston. Same true of NO as well.

Sure is nice to drive to the ports.

I've included that in every love note I've sent NCL for a few years now so maybe they'll be able to support the Gulf Coast ports more in the future, especially if Alaska and Europe contracts.

We too were booked on the Jewel for 2010 baltic and have today received the letter advising us of the change in ships. We had booked a penthouse at the aft and wanted to stay with this. Have just phoned and they are coming back today or tomorrow to let us know what we can have.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as have never sailed NCL before and so excited.

Wow ... the Jewel Transatlantic for April' date=' 2010, looked so good! Now, I'll hve to wait and see what the Sun will offer ...[/font']

Interesting ... smaller ship for the Baltics. :rolleyes:

I can understand the pulling out of Alaska. NCL is not the first cruiseline to do that for next year (or this). Things are just tightening up all over the world.

~d

We were booked for the Baltics on the jewel for next April. We were staying in London and going to Paris and Scotland as well by train. NCL has completely screwed up our plans. It is our 30th Anniversary present to ourselves. I am not sure what we are going to do now. NCL offered a $50 onboard credit to book on another ship. I found that ridiculous.

The ship changed - not the itinerary that I know of - the plans are the same - unless your particular itinerary got changed. Our Baltic Capitals in June 2010 has the same itinerary as before. Granted, at some point, there are going to be disappointed people because they don't get the particular level of cabin they want - smaller ship, less options to choose from - so your other travel plans shouldn't be screwed up too much. I would make a decision and act quickly so you get what you want. Depending on the level of cabn you originally booked, it is $50 OBC per person - total of $100.

We went through 2 days of being upset at NCL for making the switch of boats on us - I guess it wasn't totally unexpected - but I know what it is like to plan out more than 1 year in advance and things start changing on your - then the whole plan seems ruined. We really liked the Jewel - so moving to the Sun at first seemed like a "downgrade" of ships, but I have been convinced that the Sun won't disappoint.

I would do some research, figure things out and call NCL to get it worked out. So far - everyone seems to be happy with what things have changed and some have even saved money because of a decrease in cost for the cabin - and it wasn't chump change either.

Got our room assignments for the Sun this morning. They have set up a special team to deal only with the change. Both the people I spoke with were very nice and accomodating.

WE are a group of 4 cabins and since the Sun is a smaller, slightly older ship she is also cheaper. We chose to stay in the same category cabin rather than upgrade to the same dollar amount. We wound up saving $600 per couple. :D They are offering $100 per cabin for aggravation which gives us $700 and a smaller ship (which we prefer). That will go a long way towards our private excursions.

As I said earlier, this will be our fourth trip on the Sun and we've always been very happy with her. I think those of you who are upset will be fine once you're aboard. If you are in an upper end cabin I'd advise you to call soon. We were able to get all four cabins adjacent but we were in mid level cabins.

Well, got a surprise this morning about our South America repo 4/11/2010.

An email came with a confirmation for the Panama Canal cruise leaving out of Chile to Miami(which replaces Chile to LA).

We had booked a BA and were going to cancel since we have done the Panama Canal 3 times but the email changed our minds. The confirmation gave us an AC instead of a BA at the same cost we had for the BA. Nothing has changed except the itinerary. We also got an extra $200 OBC on top of the $200 OBC we had before.

I called to make sure I wasn't going crazy since this was a big switch and hadn't even called them since I had planned to cancel. They said it was correct and no problem.

Well needless to say we are very happy.

NCL is simply following the lead of the other major cruiselines which previously announced a pullback from Alaska in 2010. There have been a number of reports of a lessening of interest in Alaska cruises so I am sure that this far out, they still have the ability to move anyone already booked on the Sun to another ship that they will have in Alaska next year. Clearly the taxes that were adopted by Alaska last year have had a negative effect on the cruiselines' bottom line and this is just their response.

It will be interesting to see how much Alaska will suffer as a consequence of lowered tax revenues due to their earlier actions. I am somehow reminded of the warning against killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.:rolleyes:

Taxes certainly are playing a part in the decision to pull out for some lines. I think there are a lot of things affecting the pull out..

I have clients already booked on the JEwel No Atlantic crossing Sept 2010. I talked to them last night, they are really disappointed.

Nita

Alaska's actions have affected the tourist industry of Vancouver and Seattle as well. Both cities should rack Alaskans flying into their airports for a thousand dollars in response, in my humble opinion.

citing authority of the 14th ammendment.......

Archived