Has Apollo takeover of Regent caused a big decline in quality?

owl61

I am a veteran cruiser who is contemplating my first Regent cruise later this year. The recent reviews have given me some doubts about the current status of the Regent product. I understand Apollo Mgmt. recently took control of the line and as a result thereof, significant changes for the worse have taken place. Can anyone comment on this and on the current luxury status of Regent?

Everybody will have their own opinion. Mine is that there hasn't been much degradation of service or quality. My last cruises have been Navigator December 2006, Voyager December 2007 and Paul Gauguin December 2008.

But who knows what recent changes to home office, upper management and the new staff contract system will bring? Plus the economic downturn is surely causing challenges, if not problems. I will find out, I hope, this December on Voyager.

I am a veteran cruiser who is contemplating my first Regent cruise later this year. The recent reviews have given me some doubts about the current status of the Regent product. I understand Apollo Mgmt. recently took control of the line and as a result thereof, significant changes for the worse have taken place. Can anyone comment on this and on the current luxury status of Regent?

Just came back from the Mariner and I would not be worried. It's not like bean-counters from Apollo are in charge, most of the management and department heads seem to be from Oceania.

That said, food was very good as was the service. They've spent a lot of money on spiffing up the ships and from my previous cruise with them from a few years ago, I would say the product is being upgraded and was much warmer.

I agree with all of the above posters. The economy has had an impact on all cruise lines. It has been over a year since Apollo purchased Regent. We have taken three cruises since then (5/2008 Alaska, 10/2008 Mediterranean, 2/2009 Eastern Caribbean) -- Regent continues to be a 5-6 star luxury cruise line.

Apollo spent $20 million dollars on the Voyager and $20 million dollars on the Mariner to insure they were in top condition. In my opinion, this would not have occurred under the previous owner.

What you may be reading is some differences between how Regent was run prior to Apollo and how it is currently being run. "Different" does not necessarily mean better or worse.

There has been some cross-training between Oceania and Regent. It appears that management wants Oceania to be as customer service oriented as Regent has been. Some look at this as a negative. . . . I believe that cross-training is positive.

Regent has faced a difficult challenge in 2009 -- having to change their entire computer system. For reasons beyond their control, this has negatively impacted their passengers. I have no doubt that Regent is as frustrated with this situation as we are. Hopefully this problem will solved within the next 30-60 days.

So, owl61, I believe that a Regent cruise will exceed your expectations (and your prior experiences).

I think most of the "problems" experienced over the past couple of years were on the Navigator. They were widely criticized here, and seem to have been corrected. I have cruised several times on the ships since the "takeover" and noticed no difference, but keep a constant wary eye, as most.

I think most of the "problems" experienced over the past couple of years were on the Navigator. They were widely criticized here, and seem to have been corrected. I have cruised several times on the ships since the "takeover" and noticed no difference, but keep a constant wary eye, as most.

Our experience on the Navigator in March did not indicate that some of the widely criticized problems have been corrected. They were working on the electrical while we were on board (not sure if problems were fixed), however, there is still a lot of work needed on the engine and plumbing (the main reason she will be in drydock for 22 days).

Although we finally found an area in Compass Rose where we would not have to wait 20-30 minutes for service, I would not suggest that this has been fixed. Portofino in the evening does not have a real theme and the service was particularly poor. We did not speak with anyone who had a positive experience in that dining venue.

I personally feel that negative issues on the Navigator are specific to this one ship. We plan on sailing her next year (after drydock) and hope to she is back to the level of other Regent ships.

the prices on the Navigator coming out of drydock next year are too good to ignore,but that old aggravating vibrating problem still haunts me;swore i would never do it again;that being said do you thimk the problem will be addressed in drydock and if not; what cabin in the least expensive suite should i take?? thanks:confused:

The vibration problem certainly will not change after drydock. It's fundamental to the ship.

That being said, with a mid-ship or forward cabin, it should not be a problem. We were very pleased with our deck 6 E, just forward of the atrium. I've not done the window cabins, so can't comment.

We really felt the vibration in the show lounge as well, but for us, that is not a deal-breaker, since we don't spend a lot of time in this room.

Archived