Ain't no such thing .........

sogamusicman

Of course, people do far better with inconveniences they expect than those that are surprises, so it does make sense to bring the little (or greater) inconveniences to light on sites like these. There's routinely a 40 minute wait for a table during prime time at dinner?.... Let people knopw what to expect. I bet they'll deal with it better then (or at least most people will)..

I completely agree--and I know on the GEM (so far , it is the only ship I have sailed on), there is a Big board, with all the sit down restaurants listed, with their availability and wait times. I found this resource really helpful, and never had to wait for a table.:)

Well, the DW and I have now tried three lines: Carnival, HAL and NCL. I have come to the following conclusions:

1. There is no such thing as a bad cruise - some are only moderately wonderful, but they're ALL good!

2. Some people are never happy. We had a great deal of fun in Dining areas helping people who were unhappy to feel happier about cruising, rather than obsessing on every minor problem.

3. We are truly addicted! I think after the November cruise on Carnival, we're gonna try an RCL just to see if people really can ice skate on a cruise ship. Why not????

4. For those of you who are offended by this thread ---- let's get a drink of the day and talk about it..........

Love your attitude and couldn't agree more....any day I wake up on the "right side of the grass" is a good day! Everyday is a celebration but especially onboard a cruise:)

Of course, people do far better with inconveniences they expect than those that are surprises, so it does make sense to bring the little (or greater) inconveniences to light on sites like these. There's routinely a 40 minute wait for a table during prime time at dinner? Let people know. The coffee's not that good? The rooms are cleaned as well as you feel they should be? The drinks are watered down (or too strong or ...)? The tender lines are ridiculous because the crew takes no action to control line cutting? No chairs by the pool after 4:00 AM? Let people knopw what to expect. I bet they'll deal with it better then (or at least most people will).

I once recall reading a review of an all inclusive (land) resort I was palnning to stay at, which noted that the beverages in one's in room refrigerator were not automatically replenished--one needed to call housekeeping. Now knowing that, I made sure I called every day, sparing me the frustration of wanting to crack open a cold one and finding none there. A little thing? Sure; it wouldn't ruin my vacation. But forewarned is forearmed. Indeed, I think that's the best service sites like these provide.

You said it! Thats why I get just as much, if not more out of some of the negative reviews. Stuff to look out for and just brush off when it comes.

And, I bet this thread is really making them mad!

How dare anyone try to tell them that they should relax, chill-out, sit back and enjoy something that is obviously so terrible!

We all, unfortunately have a few in our midst who fit the description perfectly.

Be it a cruise, a road trip, a flight, whatever, the first thing out of their mouths is the negative.

So, we don't ask: "How was your trip." This ticks them off too. :D:D

It is a disease called optirectalitis - It gives them a s*****y outlook on life.icon10.gif

I usually always look for the postive and want to make the best of every situation...but...I live with a bitcher, whiner and complainer if everything doesn't go just right. I stressed out for months trying to make sure I had everything set to be perfect. On our first cruise when he started that crap up, I told him...I'm not listening, you are NOT going to ruin by cruise...NO bitching, NO whining, NO throwing fits. I think it shocked him so much that he just shut up. Several times during our 7 day cruise I had to say...no bitching, no whining, no throwing fits...all I had to do was say those words and it was like he SNAPPED out of the crappy mood. Now at home those same words work. I don't think he realizes what a "BITCHER" he is. He loves cruising now...but he still likes to bitch...sometimes I let him...I just think he needs to...{I don't listen, but he thinks I do} You just have to do what works for you as a couple.:)

I've learned life is more fun if I don't expect perfection.

This is exactly the way I take things now that I am "older and wiser." I no longer stress out looking for perfection, as it's merely a mirage that some people keep running toward. It only ends up in disappointment.

Life is much more enjoyable when you finally make this realization and can just go with the flow. Although I have only had two cruises so far, I enjoyed them both very much. Cruising is a fantastic way to vacation and I hope to do many more.

I must say there is always one part of every cruise that I really do hate- it is when they drag me kicking and screaming off the ship when it is time to disembark. How dare they tell me the cruise is over?

Those cruise lines ALL do that !!! I don't know how they stay in business treating guests that way !!!

I must say there is always one part of every cruise that I really do hate- it is when they drag me kicking and screaming off the ship when it is time to disembark. How dare they tell me the cruise is over?

I KNOW! The nerve of some people! ;).

Seriously though, just think about how happy we all are the day we book a new cruise. How much fun it is to research the ports & excursions...how much joy we get (us ladies ;)) from mentally planning our cruise clothes and buying a new dress or strappy sandals for the cruise.

How excited are we the morning of embarkation when we wake up & make our way to the passenger terminal?....the clock seems to take forever! And getting our photo taken for the sign & sail card...it means we're almost on board!

And the muster drill means we're almost ready to get on our way!

To me, the whole cruise, from the moment it's booked, is a really happy & fun time. And then actually being on the ship, cruising, is pure joy. I love it.

Ya'll are so right! Our last cruise (I can't believe it was only in March), we got lost in New Orleans, got stuck in port in Costa Maya, missed a second port (Santo Tomas) due to time stuck in first port, missed excursions on partner's 40th birthday, my back went out, I missed Cozumel (never been there), had to be taken off the ship in a wheelchair, never got to eat at VIP Cagney's for breakfast or lunch...and still I had a wonderful cruise. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Hey, if you have to be laid up, there is no place like a cabin with a balcony view!!:D

Love your attitude and couldn't agree more....any day I wake up on the "right side of the grass" is a good day! Everyday is a celebration but especially onboard a cruise:)

I totally agree, but would amend your statement to say "any day I wake up (period!) is a good day"!! I don't post much on this board, but this thread was so refreshing, I just had to offer my 2 cents! Happy cruising to all on whatever line you choose!

I used to stress so much on vacation. Was I getting my moneys' worth? Am I seeing everything I'm "supposed" to see? I'd get mad at myself if some attraction wasn't up to my expectations.

I finally learned to let go on vacation. My recent cruise was amazingly relaxing. I feel bad for the folks who sweat the small stuff, because I understand.

You know, the only "issue" we had on our entire cruise was a burned out light bulb in our cabin. And there was plenty of light without it. I've learned life is more fun if I don't expect perfection.

I think the folks that sweat the small stuff on a cruise, do that in thier real lifes too! Some people are never happy!

To me a vacation, whether it be a cruise, resort, theme park is a wonderful break from the daily grind! Short of a sunami or a tornado hitting....How bad can it be???

I like to "whatever". I really like it, especially if it means staying on the ship.:D:D

Add me to the list.

I've cruised with Carnival, NCL, HAL and Princess and have enjoyed all 4 lines and each and every cruise.

IMHO they each have a slightly different ambience but they are more alike than different.

Looking forward to my 1st European vacation on the GEM this summer.

Since I started this one, I thought I'd jump back in and tell ALL of you that when I see you again (or the first time!!), I really want to have that Drink of the Day and just enjoy cruising. We're going on Carnival Liberty in November (I love turkey on a ship.....), then maybe Alaska, then Norwegian Sun the next Thanksgiving, then..........

Happy Sails To You!!!!

We were once on a cruise with a group of friends. One wasn't at all keen and remained determined to prove his point.

So - the cabin was smaller than a hotel room. You had the same style of food each day. You couldn't spend as much time as you like when visiting cities. Each time he had to wait even a few minutes in a queue he grumbled. Any way a real 'bitcher'.

He even seemed disappointed that he couldn't complain about the service, the cleanliness, the relaxation, the holiday spirit, the constant free coffee/tea/room service etc etc.

At the end, he still wouldn't admit how enjoyable the cruise was .

We were once on a cruise with a group of friends. One wasn't at all keen and remained determined to prove his point.

So - the cabin was smaller than a hotel room. You had the same style of food each day. You couldn't spend as much time as you like when visiting cities. Each time he had to wait even a few minutes in a queue he grumbled. Any way a real 'bitcher'.

He even seemed disappointed that he couldn't complain about the service, the cleanliness, the relaxation, the holiday spirit, the constant free coffee/tea/room service etc etc.

At the end, he still wouldn't admit how enjoyable the cruise was .

Was that my DH?:D Our first cruise I didn't even realize that he enjoyed any of it, but I guess he did. The problem is, he is so hard to read(even for me). It was like pulling teeth to get him to admit he enjoyed anything. We were in Hawaii...what is there not to enjoy??? It took over a year to get him to the next cruise and I thought he would only agree to do a short one...so that is why I chose the sky 3 day. On this cruise he admitted that a 7 day would have been ok. :p

Well, the DW and I have now tried three lines: Carnival, HAL and NCL. I have come to the following conclusions:

1. There is no such thing as a bad cruise - some are only moderately wonderful, but they're ALL good!

2. Some people are never happy. We had a great deal of fun in Dining areas helping people who were unhappy to feel happier about cruising, rather than obsessing on every minor problem.

3. We are truly addicted! I think after the November cruise on Carnival, we're gonna try an RCL just to see if people really can ice skate on a cruise ship. Why not????

4. For those of you who are offended by this thread ---- let's get a drink of the day and talk about it..........

I agree completely! We have tried 3 lines so far, and have a 4th booked. We weren't thrilled with one line, but we still had a great cruise! It's a cruise! What's not to love? :)

Archived