On Summer Cruises to Alaska, How Cold is it on Deck?

Chelly

Depends on when you cruise up to Alaska. The weather is pretty variable during most of the season so bring layered clothing. July and August should be ok though it can rain at anytime.

My wife and I leave on the first cruise of the season (May 10th-Westerdam) and we are prepared for anything up to and including sleet!

As the others have said, it can vary greatly. I have spent endless hours out on deck just enjoying the view. The sun was shining, the air warm and fresh. It can be especially beautiful out of the wind---and there's plenty of windbreaks on HAL ships.

You pick your dates, and you take your chances.

As you might expect it mostly depends on the weather. If its not sunny its too cold for most people. The windy areas tend to be too cold for most people any time of year, but if you are warm blooded the windy lounge areas can provide a relaxing escape from the crowds.

You will be very comfortable if you find a lounger outside of the wind in the sun.

A summer Alaska cruise is a interesting vacation to pack for. You can expect to use everything from a winter jacket (by the glaciers) to a pair of shorts for the summer days walking around town.

Is is too cold to lounge in the sun on deck on summer cruises to Alaska?

No. We had a very enjoyable time lounging on the deck/ balcony wearing fall clothes, watching the beautiful scenery (Next to the French Polynesian Island, the most scenic cruise we have been on)

Caveat- when you are in Glacier Bay and College Fjord, with the ship "parked" in front of the Glaciers, you are going to need your winter clothes.

To answer the original question, there will be times when it is warm and sunny and you will be able to sit in the sun and work on your tan.

When you are near the glaciers it is cold.

It was that way my first time in Skagway. I left the ship all bundled up, with dark skies overhead and a stiff breeze blowing. By noon the sun blazing, the wind had died down, and I was headed back to the ship to get into some hot-weather clothes.

That was not the last time that sort of thing happened, either.

Sonomadriver, please post a trip review when you get back. We are heading to Alaska the middle of June on the Westerdam. It's our first ever cruise. I've never been interested in cruising, but our friends talked us into it. Maybe it will be better than I think!!

The temp varies very much from day to day but remember your ship will likely be cruising at about 12 to 15 knots which often increases the wind speed across the deck thus driving down the temp. I have seen t shirts and shorts being worn but for the most part you want pants, a sweater and a nylon shell when on deck in the summer.

A friend of ours happened to hit a warm week in July and got sunburned on deck. We were there in mid-June and it was cold he entire time. No sunscreen needed on our trip. :(

Just a reminder...it is still possible to get sunburned even when the air is cold...especially around reflective ice and water. Recommend using your own good judgement as to whether protection is needed or not, based on sunlight situation (not forgetting that burning rays can make it through haze and some cloud cover), not temperature...and then enjoy yourself!

It is impossible to predict your weather, even based on the date you choose. Take layers of waterproof clothes, hats, scarves, gloves. Be prepared for cold, wind rain. Regardless of the weather, Alaska is spectacular. Get up on deck for the best views, even if you have a balcony cabin, so you can move from side to side. If your ship has a viewing area to the front, go there. Don't watch from an inside window, the view is distorted. Another tip- find out how to get deck blanket. On some sailings, you check them out for the week and they may go fast. Find a comfortable lounge chair and enjoy the scenery.

We had incredible weather and my DH got sunburned out on our balcony. However, I would plan to dress warm for the trip to view the glaciers as it was quite chilly on deck. Luckily, we had the yummy hot gluvine to keep us warm.

As I write these lines it is about 5:20 PM in Juneau Alaska on Saturday May 2, 2009 and it is currently 74 in Juneau. I have seen it killing hot in Juneau in June and I have seen it darn cold. If the sun is out it warms up nicely and if it is cloudy it can be cool. I have been to Alaska in May and found it quite nice. I have been there in May and found it anything but nice. I have been there in June and found it nice and again, I have found it other times to be quite chilly and damp. Be prepared for anything in Alaska. By the way you will NOT regret going to Alaska.

As I write these lines it is about 5:20 PM in Juneau Alaska on Saturday May 2, 2009 and it is currently 74 in Juneau. I have seen it killing hot in Juneau in June and I have seen it darn cold. If the sun is out it warms up nicely and if it is cloudy it can be cool. I have been to Alaska in May and found it quite nice. I have been there in May and found it anything but nice. I have been there in June and found it nice and again, I have found it other times to be quite chilly and damp. Be prepared for anything in Alaska. By the way you will NOT regret going to Alaska.

Hi Himself. Thank you for taking time from your cruise to respond to my question. Alaska sounds great! Have a wonderful cruise!!!!

Depends on when you cruise up to Alaska. The weather is pretty variable during most of the season so bring layered clothing. July and August should be ok though it can rain at anytime.

My wife and I leave on the first cruise of the season (May 10th-Westerdam) and we are prepared for anything up to and including sleet!

SonomaDriver: I would also be interested to read your review. DH and I are going to Alaska on the Westerdam in July.

Archived