Art Auctions and 2009 Pricing

kappellof

You should never buy art because it will evaluate in price; you should buy it because you like it and plan to enjoy it.

BTW, when we received our Wyland it was the original that was on the ship. It had the same slight dent in the frame as the one on the ship had. So I guess it was their last one. I love it anyway and enjoy looking at it just about every day.

Well said. Buy art because you like it, not because you think it will go up in price. I am surprised that your Wyland arrived with a dent in the frame. If you let them know, they will very willingly make any repairs or replacements. Every piece we have purchased has come with a brand new frame. Many people who look at the art preview and don't attend the auctions assume that the art you see is the art you get. Not so unless it is the last one or an original. The frames on the art shown onboard are always dented and scratched due to all the handling they get and the movement of the ship while they are in storage lockers onboard. The auctioneer always tells you that your piece will come with a new frame. BTW, a friend bought a Bill Mack piece that arrived in a mutilated frame, obviously some shipping damage. She complained, and Princess paid for the piece to be reframed for her at a local shop near her.

I will not address those that love the on-board art auctions and are satisfied with their purchases. However, for those who are merely curious I suggest they simply Google "Park West fraud" and get a bit of an education about Park West. Now, Princess does not use Park West because they realized that on-board art auctions are very profitable and they took their auctions "in-house." We once met a professional art appraiser on a cruise (he owned a large appraisal company in Atlanta) who told us that "it is usually the heirs of those who purchase art who get angry when they find out that much of the art bought on-board ships is not worth the cost their parents paid. But, if the parents (the purchasers) were happy to toss away their children's money, than such is life."

It was a fun dinner conversation and a real eye opener.

Hank

Stupid is as stupid does. If you believe that they give you real champagne at the auctions then you will believe the value they place on the "art" they auction. Buy locally, frame locally and save the shipping costs as well as the buyer's premium and get an independent appraisal,not a phoney one from the the guys who run the auction and contract for hundreds of copies to supply all the ships and sailings.

I don't know about the experiences of others with the value of art pieces onboard, but I once purchased a piece that I loved for less than $500. When it arrived I took it for an independant appraisal and it appraised at $3,000. I must say I think I came out pretty good on that purchase and I really enjoy the piece.

I didn't buy anything, but I once one 3 pieces for answering trivia questions sprinkled

through 3 days of auctions. I was able to choose from about 10 prints. I picked 3 I

really loved, they shipped for 5.00 each. They came in super heavy tubes, which

I have used over and over to carry posters etc. in. Had them framed locally, and

get wows from anyone who visits.

Is that good luck or what!!!

I will not address those that love the on-board art auctions and are satisfied with their purchases. However, for those who are merely curious I suggest they simply Google "Park West fraud" and get a bit of an education about Park West. Now, Princess does not use Park West because they realized that on-board art auctions are very profitable and they took their auctions "in-house." We once met a professional art appraiser on a cruise (he owned a large appraisal company in Atlanta) who told us that "it is usually the heirs of those who purchase art who get angry when they find out that much of the art bought on-board ships is not worth the cost their parents paid. But, if the parents (the purchasers) were happy to toss away their children's money, than such is life."

Hank

Toss away their children's money?:confused: Did their children earn it? Until I'm dead and buried the money I earn is mine and I will buy what I want with it. If there is anything left then it may become the children's. If they don't like what I bought with MY money during my lifetime, they can dispose of it as they wish after I'm gone.

I bought a piece when I was on my last cruise. I have no idea who the artist is (Ken Hawk) but the piece "spoke" to me.....a watercolor of San Francisco. It is so not my colors (very bright reds, purples, yellows, oranges...even my dad commented that it wasn't me LOL) but I fell in love with it. It fits perfectly in my living room. It arrived within two weeks of purchase. I had it framed at home since I didn't like the frame selection.....of course it cost so much more to have it matted and frame but who cares? I like it.

Toss away their children's money?:confused: Did their children earn it? Until I'm dead and buried the money I earn is mine and I will buy what I want with it. If there is anything left then it may become the children's. If they don't like what I bought with MY money during my lifetime, they can dispose of it as they wish after I'm gone.

Thank you very much Cactus ! I for one like your take on that issue !

Just off the Pacific. Prices are way too high, and of course there's the "buyer's premium" tacked on to that. Buy your art at home.

PIA -- OK, educate me...what did you mean by "buyers premium"? thanks, Ken

We once met a professional art appraiser on a cruise (he owned a large appraisal company in Atlanta) who told us that "it is usually the heirs of those who purchase art who get angry when they find out that much of the art bought on-board ships is not worth the cost their parents paid. But, if the parents (the purchasers) were happy to toss away their children's money, than such is life."

Hank

I would bet his opinion is such because the heirs cannot locate the certificates that provide the provenance supporting the picture as original by the artist. We will affix ours to the back of the frame. In our case we already have children who share our tastes and have "laid claim" to certain paintings after our passing. They'll just have to wait.:rolleyes:

With the appraiser being from New Orleans, I would also venture that any Martiros would hold its price as there was a gallery in NO that carried his paintings.

Archived