Walking tour in Juneau

ICHTUS

I have been able to get a copy of the walking tour in Ketchikan from a CC buddy. Now, I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of the Juneau walking tour that would be willing to share it via this CC thread or e-mail. I'm a "plan ahead" person and would like to have it in-hand before getting off the ship. thanks.

Head to your library, take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have walking tours. There is way more to see than what you can usually do in a day visit. Having the books and the descriptions of attractions along the way, for stops, would allow you to easily plan ahead. Juneau especially, has more "stops" to consider- Alaska State Museum, Juneau Douglas City Museum, State Capital, Last Chance Mine, cemetery, etc. are all worthwhile entries is of interest. Nice totem out front of the Governor's Mansion. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Head to your library, take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have walking tours. There is way more to see than what you can usually do in a day visit. Having the books and the descriptions of attractions along the way, for stops, would allow you to easily plan ahead. Juneau especially, has more "stops" to consider- Alaska State Museum, Juneau Douglas City Museum, State Capital, Last Chance Mine, cemetery, etc. are all worthwhile entries is of interest. Nice totem out front of the Governor's Mansion. :)

Hi BQ - I have Frommer's Alaska and am hoping to take their walking tour, which they estimate at 2.5 hours with "minimal stops". Given that I have about 5 hours before my afternoon excursion, what one (or maybe two) places would you recommend actually going in to visit?

Just FYI, I have a friend who lives in Juneau who is helping us plan our excursions. The church is currently having some work done on it. The steeple has been taken down for repairs. That may not affect your desire to see it. I know it didn't mine.

Find a copy of "Inside Passage Walking Tours" by Julianne Chase. It has detailed walking tours for Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Sitka.

Our local library had copies and that's what we'll be using starting this Saturday :D

Two years ago we did a free guided tour with a staff from the Juneau Douglas City Museum. We found out about it on their web site. It was interesting and only cost was a tip to the Girl that provided the tour. It wa only offered on certain days. I don't know if it's still offered but check the web site.

• 3 years later...

We got a wonderful book titled "Inside Passage Walking Tours" by Julianne Chase that has some really great walking tours in it. Lots of photos and maps to. Discusses history of area and recommendations for things to do, where to eat, etc.

We used it when we went to Alaska a few years ago and plan to use it again this summer.

• 2 months later...
There is a new free walking tour in Juneau, well there is no tour price, but the guides work for tips. http://www.juneauwalkingtours.com Hope that helps. These things are really big in Europe.

Say, thanks for posting that and thanks to people from cruise critic who came on the tours. Just wanted to check in to let you all know that we're suspending tours until further notice -- part of the issue was getting and keeping top-notch guides while the business built up, and part is evaluating whether this type of program works for cruise ship passengers and extremely variable weather conditions.

Anyhow, thanks to Cruisecritic and people from this board who read about it and joined us this past summer.

I have Frommer's Alaska and am hoping to take their walking tour, which they estimate at 2.5 hours with "minimal stops". Given that I have about 5 hours before my afternoon excursion, what one (or maybe two) places would you recommend actually going in to visit?
I vote for the capitol and State Museum. The tour of the capitol is free. We have had great guides both times we did it. Plus I'm a government geek and like to see other state capitol buildings. The State Museum has some interesting exhibits on Alaskan history, including the native Alaskan tribes, and natural history.

The Alaska State Museum is a great stop and while not as good a museum the Juneau City Museum plays a terrific video about the history of the city and area. As you walk back on S. Franklin St. stop in at the Mt. Juneau Trading Post for one of the largest collections of native Indian crafts that I have seen in Alaska.

• 9 months later...

I don't quite see the point in doing a walking tour with a guide. We were there back in 08 and just had a map with points of interest that we researched back home.

The best things are located up on the hill with fancy old houses perched upon mountainsides, steep stairways leading up to them. There is also a nice hidden place called Cope Park there, and a wooden serpentine-like construction on the road to the Perseverance mine. Pretty cool!

I have been able to get a copy of the walking tour in Ketchikan from a CC buddy. Now, I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of the Juneau walking tour that would be willing to share it via this CC thread or e-mail. I'm a "plan ahead" person and would like to have it in-hand before getting off the ship. thanks.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/downtown_juneau_map.php

Archived