Beautiful Photos-What kind of camera?

All of the point and shoot digital cameras available today will take good images as long as you know how to use YOUR camera. Purchase is a couple of months before your trip and then read and re-read the manual (including the detailed manual that usually comes on the included disk). Then go out and take 100's of shots in various light conditions of many different subjects from closeups to landscape to people - then put them on your computer and see what went right and what didn't - use software that lets you see the EXIF data (this is the data included with images that shows f-stop, shutter speed, etc....) so you can see what the camera settings were. Learn your camera - many local camera stores have low cost or FREE lessons on using a camera after you purchase. If you just shoot in "automatic" mode you can get good images most of the time - if you want excellent images you need to spend time to learn that f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO changes can do to make good images into excellent images.

I have several cameras from a $150 point and shoot to a several thousand dollar DSLR - sometimes I get great shots with the P&S because I have it in my pocket at the right time when I don't have the big one.

The real key to photography is practice, practice, practice. With most all digital consumer cameras today you can put the images on your computer or TV and make prints up to 8X10 and you won't be able to tell the difference from a $150 P&S from a $5000 DSLR.

You will also want to look at the photo processing software that comes with which ever camera you get or look at one of the lower end software packages line Picasa (free) or Photoshop Elements (under $100). These packages can be used to enhance your images.

I am by no means a professional - just an avid hobbist - you can see some of my images at the site below:

http://www.pbase.com/iflyrc5/prinsendam_amazon_explorer_2008

http://www.pbase.com/iflyrc5/jan_08_galaxy_cruise

http://www.pbase.com/iflyrc5/maasdam_2009

The main thing with digital photography - buy your camera - then go out and take 100's of images - put them on your computer - look at them - have FUN :D :D :D

I agree with the others on the Nikon D40. I bought one a few months ago and just love it! It's lightweight and compact for an SLR, and takes beautiful, quality pictures. (I tried out the point-&-shoot type cameras for a few years but although I loved their compact portability, I was unhappy with picture quality. I'm back to an SLR and couldn't be happier.)

The 18-55mm zoom that came with my D40 makes it easy to fit everyone in the picture on group shots, even in small rooms or tight quarters. I also bought a wireless remote and a lightweight travel tripod so on a recent vacation to Savannah, GA to visit a friend, I was able to get shots with both of us in it without having to wait for/nab an unsuspecting stranger to take the picture. :)

Cheers,

Joyce

Add me to the D40 appreciation party... one of the best products out there...

If you need a point and shoot instead of a DSLR, then the Canon SD880 is a good versatile camera as well!

Like cubechick, I have a Sony Cybershot 8mgpxl DSC-N1 point and shoot that I use for vacations.

the pictures are phenominal and large enough that they can be made into prints should you want...I frequently do. Also, it has a lot of manual options for those who really want to use them. A lot to be said bout that carl zeiss lense too.

Here's a pic of roatan. it was dusk, we were leaving, the shot was perfect. I used auto settings for this.

2457004559_2d4403783e.jpg

I don't have any of alaska, but I have some of iceland. The wind was ridiculous and it was freezing cold, but, the shot was guuuud.:D

2457004503_f332065b98.jpg

Here's a photo with the macro setting on and its set to manual. I'm a dummy, I also committed a photo no no and took the photo at HIGH NOON:eek: which you're not supposed to do.

2471146976_b28cc565c1.jpg

Want more? ok

Here's a cloud pic. Clouds are challenging because they a camera's white meter go nuts. On auto this was a challenge. On manual, it was a total breeze.

2632686400_41e4cfcb4d.jpg

BTW, I do have a Nikkon DSLR which does in fact take fantastic pics. but, in a pinch, the sony does very well for a pocket camera.

-Q

Add me to the D40 appreciation party... one of the best products out there...

If you need a point and shoot instead of a DSLR, then the Canon SD880 is a good versatile camera as well!

The nikon D40 is a nice enough DSLR but if you must take a DSLR with you on vacation, the smaller the better.

I would suggest you look into buying the Olympus E-420 or E-450 or if you need Image Stabilisation the E-620 is coming out in May.

These are the smallest DSLRs made and are about as big as an advanced compact digital camera. Combine that with the Olympus 25mm pancake lens and you have a DSLR as good as the Nikon D40 or D40x and alot lighter and easier to travel with.

great, just great. I had my heart set on a Panasonic that was in last weeks thread and now this.... :eek: :)

The panasonic lumix with the leica lense? Oh then thats fine, get it!!:D

I auditioned it before and the pictures are crisp and clean in some cases, they can be a little 3d too. What I didn't like was the button layout but I'm weird that way.

-Q

I purchased the D90 for Christmas and love the camera, but they just released the new Nikon D5000 that looks VERY interesting - and is less expensive (although the kit lens is only equivalent to a 3x optical zoom so if it were me I would buy body only and go with the 18 - 105 or 18 - 200 VR lens) so that you have a good zoom capability without having to carry extra lenses for vacation trips.

It is in the smaller chassis of the D60, but has the same CMOS sensor and Live View found in the D90 along with a new tilt screen display.

It also has 19 scene modes so those new to DSLR's can take an excellent photos while learning all of the manual modes.

I have been very happy with my D90 and although it isn't the lightest of the cameras out there, it is worth it to me when I am able to capture the shots I have taken.

Archived