No Lifevests required at Muster Drill

Yesterday on the Majesty of the Seas we conducted a muster drill without having to bring our lifevests up with us. The captain said it was the first drill on RCL to happen this way. Maybe the rest of the fleet is following this idea.

Cheers,

Yesterday on the Majesty of the Seas we conducted a muster drill without having to bring our lifevests up with us. The captain said it was the first drill on RCL to happen this way. Maybe the rest of the fleet is following this idea.

Cheers,

I hope they make that fleet wide! That would be cool. Guess we will find out over the next year on the various cruises. On Serenade last month, we had to take them. Will be interesting to see what they do, but I am all for that.

While I fully understand the reasoning behind bringing them, one of my biggest disappointments is the timing....on our first cruise our of Puerto Rico, I was disappointed because we had started to sail WHILE mustering...we didn't have time to get down to our room, stow our vests, grab our bottle of champagne and glasses and get back up on deck...and missed a good portion of sailaway...

..minor irritation, yes, but disappointing.. :(

I'd really be surprised if SOLAS changed to allow no lifejackets. Part of the drill is to make sure folks understand how to put them on. When I was crew in the North Atlantic, one week the drill was getting on survival suits, and that is far more difficult than it may seem and far more difficult than putting on a life jacket.

Cheers,

That is surprising. There are some reasons that come to mind for bringing the life vests:

0. That there are life-vests for everyone on board.

1. That they are in usable condition.

2. That they fit properly, e.g. kids have kid size vests.

3. That people really know how to put them on and use the whistle and flare (if equipped).

4. That concerns like - will so many people be able to make it in orderly fashion to and fit in their designated evacuation area with their vests on, etc - are addressed.

Yea there are several even more important reasons for just doing a drill even without vests. But I do not understand why they eliminated an aspect of the drill that makes it more effective. Did they say why?

I think it should be required for passengers with less than 2 cruises . After 20 cruises why. Its always the same . On celebrity in feb a couple of people got slightly hurt when they triped over the cords carrying them to drill one lady almost went down the stairs . I wonder if its almost too dangerous with 2200 pasengers getting there with them . Have everyone put them on and stand outside your room , get everyone cleared wearing and then go to lifeboat station . Put a punch hole on your card and bring it on next cruise showing you had been to a lifeboat drill. That way only a few people to show how to use them insted of everyone CARL

I agree with unklez. There is a 99% chance you won't ever need them. If you don't practice, you forget how to do it if an emergency comes up. I know it's a pain in the butt but if something ever happened and you do need them, suddenly that drill before the ship left port comes in handy.

I think it should be required for passengers with less than 2 cruises . After 20 cruises why. Its always the same . On celebrity in feb a couple of people got slightly hurt when they triped over the cords carrying them to drill one lady almost went down the stairs . I wonder if its almost too dangerous with 2200 pasengers getting there with them . Have everyone put them on and stand outside your room , get everyone cleared wearing and then go to lifeboat station . Put a punch hole on your card and bring it on next cruise showing you had been to a lifeboat drill. That way only a few people to show how to use them insted of everyone CARL

See, now you know why they do the drills. So people can learn what to do with those life jackets. I bet if the ship were really in distress, the person and all around that person who tripped over the cords will remember to keep them up and away from their feet. Yes it would really be a shame if they hurt themselves but, if they tripped and fell in the stampede that would likely ensue if there was a real emergancy, they could fall and get trampled.

Every time we go through the muster drill, I'm amazed that there are people who put their life vests on incorrectly. There are a lot of people out there that apperantly have never worn a life vest, have never put on a life vest and can't seem to manage to follow the simple instructions on how to put it on correctly.

That is surprising. There are some reasons that come to mind for bringing the life vests:

0. That there are life-vests for everyone on board.

1. That they are in usable condition.

2. That they fit properly, e.g. kids have kid size vests.

3. That people really know how to put them on and use the whistle and flare (if equipped).

4. That concerns like - will so many people be able to make it in orderly fashion to and fit in their designated evacuation area with their vests on, etc - are addressed.

Yea there are several even more important reasons for just doing a drill even without vests. But I do not understand why they eliminated an aspect of the drill that makes it more effective. Did they say why?

As much as the Muster drill is a pain in the butt, it is for all the reasons you mention. The practice aspect is important. We hope to never have to use them but I was a Boy Scout ...." Be Prepared".

See, now you know why they do the drills. So people can learn what to do with those life jackets. I bet if the ship were really in distress, the person and all around that person who tripped over the cords will remember to keep them up and away from their feet. Yes it would really be a shame if they hurt themselves but, if they tripped and fell in the stampede that would likely ensue if there was a real emergancy, they could fall and get trampled.

Every time we go through the muster drill, I'm amazed that there are people who put their life vests on incorrectly. There are a lot of people out there that apperantly have never worn a life vest, have never put on a life vest and can't seem to manage to follow the simple instructions on how to put it on correctly.

I am guessing you are a guy. For the rest of us that have boobs, it is very difficult to wear a life jacket and see down to where the stairs are when you are trying to get to your muster station. Especially with a minor mobility issue. I would be fine, if they would allow us to carry them (straps up) to the muster station and then put them on. It is very difficult for some of us to wear them and walk, without being able to see your feet. :rolleyes: I don't mind it, and we always go of course....but lifejackets are designed for the water, not for walking on a dry ship. Why can't we all put them on when we get to our stations?

I am guessing you are a guy. For the rest of us that have boobs, it is very difficult to wear a life jacket and see down to where the stairs are when you are trying to get to your muster station. Especially with a minor mobility issue. I would be fine, if they would allow us to carry them (straps up) to the muster station and then put them on. It is very difficult for some of us to wear them and walk, without being able to see your feet. :rolleyes:

Your don't need to see your feet to walk! But you underline the exact reason why I think it is important to try out all aspects of the life vest in a drill. You'd not want to find out these things for the first time in a real emergency when it is likely that panic would be wide-spread. Also, us guys don't have boobs but then we usually have pot-bellies and they can be equally challenging, if not more, given that we grow our bellies later in life and have had less practice with them :)

No flames please.

Regards,

Sorry...you missed the "minor mobilty issues" and and I truly do need to see where the steps are on the stairs going down. Fourtunately DH watches my back and helps get me down.....and would also be there hopefully, had this been a "real emergency" :)

I am guessing you are a guy. For the rest of us that have boobs, it is very difficult to wear a life jacket and see down to where the stairs are when you are trying to get to your muster station. Especially with a minor mobility issue. I would be fine, if they would allow us to carry them (straps up) to the muster station and then put them on. It is very difficult for some of us to wear them and walk, without being able to see your feet. :rolleyes: I don't mind it, and we always go of course....but lifejackets are designed for the water, not for walking on a dry ship. Why can't we all put them on when we get to our stations?

That's precisely why I wait until I am on the muster deck to put on my lifejacket. I do NOT wear it down the stairs. When crew tell me to put it on, I tell them that I can't see over my boobs. They back off. :D

That's precisely why I wait until I am on the muster deck to put on my lifejacket. I do NOT wear it down the stairs. When crew tell me to put it on, I tell them that I can't see over my boobs. They back off. :D

Thanks Carol. I think I will try that next time....because I tend to hold people up on the stairs, because of my cautious and slow stepping. :D

How are you? Good to see you on here. ;)

That won't help if we have to jump in and swim for the life boat. :eek: :D

I know my lifevest plan wasn't the best.

Sal and I just off the Liberty. Might be too big for us, due to the forward cabin??(Upgrade) Anyhoo, she's beautiful with a great crew.

I see your planned B2B in Nov. Gotta love those.;)

How are things your way?

It is interesting to compare how each cruiseline run their musters differently. I have mainly travelled P&O Australia and they run the drill about 3pm (for 4pm sailaway). If you miss the drill because you were late embarking they tell you to come back for a make up drill in the morning. I have never had my cabin number marked off & we wern't allowed to put our vests on but were just told to hold onto them. I know a lot of past passengers who have simply skipped the drill because they have been to them before. I was surprised when I went on the Rhapsody that they checked off my cabin number and made me wear the vest.

Archived