Whistler Mountaineer

Hi - we are taking an alaskan cruise on Radiance of the Seas next year which finishes in Vancouver and we are interested in taking the Whistler Mountaineer trip which stays overnight at the Fairmont Chateau and you stay at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver on your return for one night. Anyone done this trip or stayed at these hotels. We thought it would be a nice ending before our flight back to the UK.

Geraldine :)

We did the day trip on the Whistler Mountaineer last September, and it was a great day! The train is lovely, and I can't say enough about the hosts/hostesses aboard. They are knowledgable, friendly and obviously love what they are doing. The views from the train can't be beat. You'll have a great trip.

Over the years I have been to Whistler more times than I can count but I never have enjoyed the trip more than when I did it by train. You will love it, particularly the part along Howe Sound up to Squamish. I have stayed at the Fairmonts Chateau Whistler a number of times and can attest to the fact that it is a first class hotel. I have been in their Waterfront Hotel but have not stayed in it. However it is also first class, is across the street from Canada Place and the Pan Pacific, a number of the rooms will have outstanding views of the harbour and the North Shore Mountains.

We did an amazing trip to Whistler last summer. We took the train from Vancouver to Whistler and the same day got a floatplane from Whistler to Vancouver. It was all booked through the Whistler Mountaineer/Whistler Air as a package and was incredible. I would highly recommend both modes of transportation!

Hello everyone - thank you for your thoughts about the train and the hotels - we will book it as soon as they start taking 2010 bookings.

Geraldine:):)

Hi Geraldine

We are also cruising on Radiance (southbound) but this August:). Coming from the UK, we are also trying to fit in as much as possible and our intention is to visit Whistler on the Mountaineer train. I'll post after our trip with any helpful tips if you think it would be of any assistance:)?

Hello villauk - that would be great if you could let us know how you get on - are you doing the same as we hope to do? We feel the same as you and we are trying to take advantage of seeing as much as possible while we are in Canada and Alaska. We were due to go two years ago on Infinity but the pod problems made them cancel five weeks before we were due to go, so we could not get on another cruise ship as everyone was transferring to ones that had room. This is a cruise we have always wanted to go on so we are keeping our fingers crossed this time.

We did an amazing trip to Whistler last summer. We took the train from Vancouver to Whistler and the same day got a floatplane from Whistler to Vancouver. It was all booked through the Whistler Mountaineer/Whistler Air as a package and was incredible. I would highly recommend both modes of transportation!

I just spent a weekend with a friend who has a gorgeous place about 2/3 of the way between Squamish and Whistler. She and her neighbours love to sit on their decks and wave at the train as it goes by, so wave back!

We got all excited last night when we heard the train, but it was a freight train.

Viv

Hello villauk - that would be great if you could let us know how you get on - are you doing the same as we hope to do? We feel the same as you and we are trying to take advantage of seeing as much as possible while we are in Canada and Alaska. We were due to go two years ago on Infinity but the pod problems made them cancel five weeks before we were due to go, so we could not get on another cruise ship as everyone was transferring to ones that had room. This is a cruise we have always wanted to go on so we are keeping our fingers crossed this time.

Will let you know when we're back how great (hopefully) the trip was. We're not staying in Whistler as we have 2 boys that have an itinerary of their own:rolleyes:!!! Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, The Suspension Bridge etc. so unfortunately we're making a one day only visit, we're just not sure yet if it'll be one way on the train or both;).

Archived