What to wear in MDR the first night?

Hey guys! Wondering what to wear in the MDR the first night. Is there a "dress code" that night? Kinda wondering what to pack in my carry on bag just in case we don't have our bags yet. What have you seen other people wearing the first night (sail night)?

As long as you're not in your bathing suit you should be fine. Everyone understands that you may not have your luggage yet (but most of the time you do) and it's a little "relaxed" the first (& last) night.

I was near panic on our first cruise, when our luggage did not arrive in time for dinner. We had not packed dinner clothes in our carry-on bags, because we had the late seating and never anticipated the luggage delivery taking so long. We discovered that first night MDR is pretty much anything reasonable. (No bathing suits, you must have shirt/shoes.) It's the only night when shorts are perfectly acceptable in the MDR.

There will be a fair number of shorts the 1st night, as not everyone's luggage has made it to their cabin prior to dinner. The "dress code" is casual on the 1st evening.

I generally wear my bathing suit under a sundress to board the ship..that way, I can head straight to the pool when we board, and if my bags don't arrive in time, I have something "decent" to wear to dinner....(only 1 time, tho, did I have a bag arrive AFTER dinner!)

Smart Casual is dead.

The first night in summer months many wear what they boarded in. Count me in that mix. Shorts are a common site. We wear them and on other nights change back to shorts after dinner.

Two dress codes for most cruisers:

Formal nights = suits and formal dress

Other nights = khakis and a polo shirt. Jeans are allowed on these nights as well. Always have been.

Few, few men wear a sport coat to dinner on non-formal nights. Luggage weights do matter for air travelers.

Warm weather cruises find more than a handfull wearing khaki ahorts and floral printed or polos to dinner. Not in the guidelines, but never seen (or been) stopped

We've sailed 21 times between an equal mix of RCCL and CCL and seen it all at dinner.

Don't stress, enjoy the trip!

Smart Casual is dead.

The first night in summer months many wear what they boarded in. Count me in that mix. Shorts are a common site. We wear them and on other nights change back to shorts after dinner.

Two dress codes for most cruisers:

Formal nights = suits and formal dress

Other nights = khakis and a polo shirt. Jeans are allowed on these nights as well. Always have been.

Few, few men wear a sport coat to dinner on non-formal nights. Luggage weights do matter for air travelers.

Warm weather cruises find more than a handfull wearing khaki ahorts and floral printed or polos to dinner. Not in the guidelines, but never seen (or been) stopped

We've sailed 21 times between an equal mix of RCCL and CCL and seen it all at dinner.

Don't stress, enjoy the trip!

While I just went on my first cruise, I normally wore a polo or button down shirt and khakis to dinner. I sat in the MTD section which was right by the entrance and on non-formal nights I saw everything from a sport coat with nice slacks to shorts and a t-shirt.

It is my belief that as long as you are wearing a shirt, shorts and shoes on a non-formal night they will let you in.

I'm in the shorts or jeans group, that's what I travel in. Even if my luggage comes before dinner I don't change, I only pack enough for the 5 other dinners. I usually wear the same jeans or shorts the last night when i have to pack and leave my luggage outside my door.

I'm in the shorts or jeans group, that's what I travel in. Even if my luggage comes before dinner I don't change, I only pack enough for the 5 other dinners. I usually wear the same jeans or shorts the last night when i have to pack and leave my luggage outside my door.

I go with this theory also. With the airline baggage restrictions now, that is one or two less outfits I have to pack. I have never felt out of place in shorts.

We don't travel in grunge in the first place, but do at least change our tops and wash up a bit to get off the travel dirt and sweat from muster and standing in lines in the sun.

Most people wear what they've been traveling in all day...no matter what it is.:rolleyes:

Absolutely stop stressing - this is your vacation.

Do not worry about the dress code patrol - the dining room will be filled with people wearing all sorts of outfits.

Your luggage might arrive at the last minute, but do you want to be unpacking or enjoying the sail-away party? I hope your answer is the sail-away.

Not sure which ship you are on, but those traveling on a large ship with lots of restaurant choices may not even come to the dining room on the first night.

Casual, relaxed, easygoing, fun....that's the concept. Have fun.

Two years ago on the Grand Princess, my husband had jumped into the pool with all of his clothes (and shoes) on to win a prize at the Sail-away party. Needless to say, our luggage had only partially arrived and he was without dry shoes for dinner. He wore his suit pants and a casual shirt with some dark socks and went sock-footed to dinner. No worries!!

Two years ago on the Grand Princess, my husband had jumped into the pool with all of his clothes (and shoes) on to win a prize at the Sail-away party. Needless to say, our luggage had only partially arrived and he was without dry shoes for dinner. He wore his suit pants and a casual shirt with some dark socks and went sock-footed to dinner. No worries!!

The things people do for a keychain :)

Archived