All things "Victory"

richbum

This is a dumb question but...for anyone who has flown into San Juan for their cruise...did you put your Carnival luggage tags on before your flight or after? If I do it after then I guess I have to bring a stapler!

Someone on another thread said that the airport people rip them off if they are on there. I leave today, any suggestions?

Thanks!

There is Carnival staff in the baggage claim area who can provide you with luggage tags to cover lost ones.

Usually they are right by the exit.

Mike in Ohio

The luggage tag question was a GREAT question! Now I have something else to worry about! :eek:

I had planned on putting them on before I left home. Is that a bad idea? I can get them securely on the luggage. What about it, should I wait and do it in San Juan?

Yes, wait until you claim your luggage in San Juan. Put tags and scotch tape carry-on or a purse then put them on your bags before you catch a cab. The wonderful old-fashion ones that came in the mail would stay on--the new at home printed ones are often "lost" by the airlines.

Thanks Rob! The ship is beautiful and I enjoy every one of your pics. You're quite good with that camera.

61 days and counting!

Patti

No problem Patti and thanks for saying so. Here's a few more!

How about Pigeon Island St. Lucia, a stop for the Pirate Extravaganza excursion.

104.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

115.jpg

090.jpg

087.jpg

Hello everyone. We sailed on Victory the week of July 19. We loved these ports! Thanks to all here and elsewhere on these boards for all of the great information...it made our cruise the best ever! This is what we did...

St. Thomas: Megen's Bay This was fun, but next time, I'd do Trunk Bay. Beware of the Rum Punches at Megan's if John is the bar tender...they are strong. The 1st & 2nd were great...by the 3rd they were Pum Runches.

Dominica: Woody We had a private tour with Woody and he was the best! It was an incredible day, just as he advertised..."Off the Beaten Trail". We saw a lot of that beautiful island including time for play on a secluded beach...Woody had actually cleared an old path leading down the Mountain just to be able to reach this spot in his Land Rover! Spectacular! He offered his homemade Rum Punch (yum), Kabuli Beer (good), soft drinks and yummy snacks and local fruit...plenty to eat, we did not go hungry. We learned a lot about the island and got to know Woody pretty well too. Love ya, Woody! If you get the chance...do not miss this opportunity.

Barbados: Silver Moon A beautiful Catamaran...there were 13 of us this day...one more than advertised, but it was not crowded at all and the captain and crew were awesome. We swam with the giant turtles and snorkled at another reef and had a great lunch with Rum Punch or soft drinks. We saw the catamaran tour group that went through Carnival....it was crowded...waaay too many people.

St. Lucia: Spencer Ambrose Tours...Spencer was a delightful guide. It was rainy, but Spencer managed to time our stops on this day when it wasn't raining! We were never caught up in the traffic from all of the other tours...he stayed well ahead or timed his stops to avoid the crowds. This is a georgous island! He was constantly feeding us something good and unique to the island. Lunch was awesome...prearranged at a local establishment just for us...grilled chicken hot off the grill was the main course...delish! Jalouse Beach is unbelieveable...We heard later that the snorkleing was really good here and wished we'd taken along our snorkle gear. Yes, he did have to hire a water taxi this day...(something beyond his control) and said he was trying to work with the owner of the property to regain the privalage of driving directly onto the beach. Personally, I loved the water taxi, it was fun and fast, and the view speeding around the Piton to get to the beach was fabulous! If you like Hot Sauce (and I mean Hot!), buy some of the yellow West Indian Hot Sauce while you're there...love it!

Antiqua: Segway!!! Oh, what a day! This was fun, fun, fun! Our guides were awesome and surprised us with lots of great pictures and a video waiting for us in our inbox when we got home! Very reasonalbly priced for a way cool experience. Just do it!

St. Kitts: We were too pooped to party by this day...we'd had planned to go to Cockelshell beach, but ended up just doing a little shopping in port. Oh well, guess we'll have to do this trip again! LOL!

All in all, the best ever. The ship is beautiful...just love the blues and greens. Dinner was good every night (Tuesday is lobster night). Our room steward was awesome; his towel animals were the best...Thanks Ariel! Embarkation was a little confusing...when you first walk in there are red guide ropes that say VIP check-in...we thought you had to be in a suite for VIP check-in and so walked around to a different spot to stand in line only to find out it was the wrong place to be...so go ahead...get in the line that says VIP check in just at the top of the escalator (the real VIP check in is in a special room off to the side). Beware if you get back off the ship that afternoon. We got off to go buy some Margarita Mix and had to stand in a looong line just to get back on the ship...not worth it. It would probably have been OK later in the evening, but not mid to late afternoon! We had planned to meet some folks from our roll call and it was so late when we finally got back on the ship we missed it. Carnival needs to have a seperate line for those re-boarding the ship. Debarkation was a breeze...we just waited in our room until they called our number about 9:30 and we walked right off the ship with no lines and no trouble catching the elevator.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you out there for your great ideas and beautiful pictures! What a trip! We will definately want to do this one again some day.

Thanks Rob! The ship is beautiful and I enjoy every one of your pics. You're quite good with that camera.

61 days and counting!

Patti

Ohhhh, I'm insanely jealous! 61 days!! I have like 8 months to wait!!!! You enjoy your cruise! Have a great time, and if you can, please post a review upon your return!!! Happy sailing!!!

Thanks very much. I will post after I return to give back, as London'sMiMi mentioned. I have learned so much from these boards and am so appreciative to you all for the help in planning this cruise.

But until then... I anxiously await more info from Momsbusy and London'sMiMi. Also Cigar Dude will be sailing a month before us and I am looking forward to his review.

Hello everyone. We sailed on Victory the week of July 19. We loved these ports! Thanks to all here and elsewhere on these boards for all of the great information...it made our cruise the best ever! This is what we did...

St. Thomas: Megen's Bay This was fun' date=' but next time, I'd do Trunk Bay. Beware of the Rum Punches at Megan's if John is the bar tender...they are strong. The 1st & 2nd were great...by the 3rd they were Pum Runches.

Dominica: Woody We had a private tour with Woody and he was the best! It was an incredible day, just as he advertised..."Off the Beaten Trail". We saw a lot of that beautiful island including time for play on a secluded beach...Woody had actually cleared an old path leading down the Mountain just to be able to reach this spot in his Land Rover! Spectacular! He offered his homemade Rum Punch (yum), Kabuli Beer (good), soft drinks and yummy snacks and local fruit...plenty to eat, we did not go hungry. We learned a lot about the island and got to know Woody pretty well too. Love ya, Woody! If you get the chance...do not miss this opportunity.

Barbados: Silver Moon A beautiful Catamaran...there were 13 of us this day...one more than advertised, but it was not crowded at all and the captain and crew were awesome. We swam with the giant turtles and snorkled at another reef and had a great lunch with Rum Punch or soft drinks. We saw the catamaran tour group that went through Carnival....it was crowded...waaay too many people.

St. Lucia: Spencer Ambrose Tours...Spencer was a delightful guide. It was rainy, but Spencer managed to time our stops on this day when it wasn't raining! We were never caught up in the traffic from all of the other tours...he stayed well ahead or timed his stops to avoid the crowds. This is a georgous island! He was constantly feeding us something good and unique to the island. Lunch was awesome...prearranged at a local establishment just for us...grilled chicken hot off the grill was the main course...delish! Jalouse Beach is unbelieveable...We heard later that the snorkleing was really good here and wished we'd taken along our snorkle gear. Yes, he did have to hire a water taxi this day...(something beyond his control) and said he was trying to work with the owner of the property to regain the privalage of driving directly onto the beach. Personally, I loved the water taxi, it was fun and fast, and the view speeding around the Piton to get to the beach was fabulous! If you like Hot Sauce (and I mean Hot!), buy some of the yellow West Indian Hot Sauce while you're there...love it!

Antiqua: Segway!!! Oh, what a day! This was fun, fun, fun! Our guides were awesome and surprised us with lots of great pictures and a video waiting for us in our inbox when we got home! Very reasonalbly priced for a way cool experience. Just do it!

St. Kitts: We were too pooped to party by this day...we'd had planned to go to Cockelshell beach, but ended up just doing a little shopping in port. Oh well, guess we'll have to do this trip again! LOL!

All in all, the best ever. The ship is beautiful...just love the blues and greens. Dinner was good every night (Tuesday is lobster night). Our room steward was awesome; his towel animals were the best...Thanks Ariel! Embarkation was a little confusing...when you first walk in there are red guide ropes that say VIP check-in...we thought you had to be in a suite for VIP check-in and so walked around to a different spot to stand in line only to find out it was the wrong place to be...so go ahead...get in the line that says VIP check in just at the top of the escalator (the real VIP check in is in a special room off to the side). Beware if you get back off the ship that afternoon. We got off to go buy some Margarita Mix and had to stand in a looong line just to get back on the ship...not worth it. It would probably have been OK later in the evening, but not mid to late afternoon! We had planned to meet some folks from our roll call and it was so late when we finally got back on the ship we missed it. Carnival needs to have a seperate line for those re-boarding the ship. Debarkation was a breeze...we just waited in our room until they called our number about 9:30 and we walked right off the ship with no lines and no trouble catching the elevator.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you out there for your great ideas and beautiful pictures! What a trip! We will definately want to do this one again some day.

Hi, and great info.... sounds like a ton of fun. We are going on this cruise in February (over Superbowl) How much did the tour in Dominica cost and how do you get ahold of them? Thanks

I agree with Cigar Dude, I never thought about the luggage tag questions so great post.

Cigar dude....

We will be sailing on the Victory a couple of weeks after you. Let us know if you find any good cigar deals!

Looking forward to your review

Cigar dude....

We will be sailing on the Victory a couple of weeks after you. Let us know if you find any good cigar deals!

Looking forward to your review

Will do. You can bet I'll be on the lookout for everything from local made stuff to legit Cubans. There should be an LCDH in Antigua close to the dock. We'll see.

I'll let you know everything I find, including how the cigar lounge onboard is. I plan on taking a zillion pics! :D

Hey Cigar dude,

I checked out your blog at Tinytim. Great site. I am relatively new to cigar smoking so I plan on browsing though your blog. Maybe I can learn how to spot a legit cuban. Have a great trip on the Victory and I look forward to your report.

How much did the tour in Dominica cost and how do you get ahold of them? Thanks

The cost varies depending on the number of people going on his tour. There were just the two of us and it was $220, but very well worth that plus a tip. It is a little less per person if there are more than two. He can take up to 6 in his Land Rover. You can reach Woody at adquatics@yahoo.com Check out his website at this address: woodydominica.shutterly.com

Just booked Victory for Feb. 14, 2010. I have a couple of quick questions. Does the Victory offer "Your Time Dining" yet. If not, does anyone know if and when it is going to be offered?

Also, does the Victory(Southern route) receive its' television reception via satellite out of Denver? How's the reception and what channels are offered?

I agree with Cigar Dude, I never thought about the luggage tag questions so great post.

Do not even worry about the luggage tags. I printed ours out just in case but there were people right at the port with luggage tags. It was 20x easier than printing, cutting, taping, and fastening your own. It was as if they didn't expect you to have your own. I would highly recommend disregarding the printed luggage tags.

Just booked Victory for Feb. 14, 2010.
woohooo! You're going to have a great time!

I have a couple of quick questions. Does the Victory offer "Your Time Dining" yet. If not, does anyone know if and when it is going to be offered?

right now it's just on the first night (Sun) with the 10:00 debarkation. I think they're getting it in Fall 2010 but someone else will know for sure. I personally much prefer assigned seating but you didn't ask about that so moving on...

Also, does the Victory(Southern route) receive its' television reception via satellite out of Denver? How's the reception and what channels are offered?

yes, out of Denver. Reception is fine. The only channel I remember seeing other than network was Discovery, but they have kids' stuff too I think. No ESPN. We didn't watch much TV. We did watch our dinner mates on the Newlywed Game one night but then they continued to play it allllllll week long.

btw, I fully intend to have a full trip report up by the end of the weekend. Thanks so much to all of you for your tips, suggestions, pictures.

Aplmac, I knew exactly what to expect walking into my aft balcony and to Accra (and the ship overall!) thanks to your pics!

Do not even worry about the luggage tags. I printed ours out just in case but there were people right at the port with luggage tags. It was 20x easier than printing, cutting, taping, and fastening your own. It was as if they didn't expect you to have your own. I would highly recommend disregarding the printed luggage tags.

But don't you have to fill them out? How exactly does this work?

I fully intend to have a full trip report up by the end of the weekend....

I can't wait to hear all about it. Please don't leave anything out, not even if you think they are just "little" details.

Also, thanks for answering my questions. Appreciate it.

But don't you have to fill them out? How exactly does this work?

The staff in the airport baggage claim area provides blank, colored luggage tags which correspond to your location on the ship. It them becomes a matter of writing your cabin number on the tags and affixing them to your luggage.

It is not as good as the old system of having sturdy, adhesive, pre-printed tags mailed to you well in advance but it seems to get the job done at a lower cost to the cruise line.

Mike

Dinner was good every night (Tuesday is lobster night). Our room steward was awesome; his towel animals were the best...Thanks Ariel! Embarkation was a little confusing...when you first walk in there are red guide ropes that say VIP check-in...we thought you had to be in a suite for VIP check-in and so walked around to a different spot to stand in line only to find out it was the wrong place to be...so go ahead...get in the line that says VIP check in just at the top of the escalator (the real VIP check in is in a special room off to the side). Beware if you get back off the ship that afternoon. We got off to go buy some Margarita Mix and had to stand in a looong line just to get back on the ship...not worth it. It would probably have been OK later in the evening, but not mid to late afternoon! We had planned to meet some folks from our roll call and it was so late when we finally got back on the ship we missed it. Carnival needs to have a seperate line for those re-boarding the ship. Debarkation was a breeze...we just waited in our room until they called our number about 9:30 and we walked right off the ship with no lines and no trouble catching the elevator.

[/color]

Thank you for sharing. I really needed to know what night was lobster night. I plan to eat tons of those. I have a question. Do you remember what time you embarked?

Thank you for sharing. I really needed to know what night was lobster night. I plan to eat tons of those. I have a question. Do you remember what time you embarked?

Not sure about the Lobster. You embark around Noon and then you can get back off the ship to look around OSJ and then back onboard by 9pm and sail at 10pm. I loved this night time sailaway.