Just booked Grade G "Guarantee" Cabin

Hi

Am a LITTLE nervous...

Our first cruise with Regent. Although we normally go for an Owners/Grand Suite on RCCL, I thought that we would go for the lowest level cabin on Regent - so hope it is good. The Grade H cabins were sold out for our cruise and the next available was a "Grade G Guarantee" cabin, which I went for. So pot luck on the location and whether it has a bath or shower.

When are cabin numbers normally assigned to guarantees?

Thanks

Boo

Congratulations on booking your first Regent cruise:D I just saw on another thread that you'll be on the Mariner to Alaska. That ship does not have a bad cabin -- there is no vibration -- just a beautiful ship! What date are you going?

Which ship did you book? The standard staterooms are wonderful on all three ships, but are a bit varied in size.

H is minimum on all, and I think only on Voyager they are to be avoided. On Navigator a G won't have a balcony.

In general, the GTY means they can put you anywhere on the ship, including upgrading you.

I've only had a guarantee on RSSC once.

We were told our allocation about a week before, but it can be less and it can be further in advance. We were very fortunate in being upgraded to a category C Horizon suite with its huge balcony.

Hi

Thank you, again, for the VERY warm welcome here :)

Yes, it is Mariner for Alaska (22nd July 2009). So it will have a balcony - from the photos it does look nice. Would have liked to have been able to pick a room with one of the new showers, but we will see what comes up :)

Husband is slightly dubious about Regent - he loves the size, glitz and activities of the larger Royal Caribbean ships. BUT I think that an Alaskan cruise is a great opportunity to try a Regent ship (since it isn't really a pool, "surfing machine", sunbathing itinerary). I am looking forward to a smaller ship, good food, hopefully far fewer crowds and less "bun fights"....

Very excited :)

Boo

Husband is slightly dubious about Regent - he loves the size, glitz and activities of the larger Royal Caribbean ships. BUT I think that an Alaskan cruise is a great opportunity to try a Regent ship (since it isn't really a pool, "surfing machine", sunbathing itinerary). I am looking forward to a smaller ship, good food, hopefully far fewer crowds and less "bun fights"....

Very excited :)

Boo

Boo,

I'm almost afraid to ask but what are "bun fights?" :D

Dave

Boo,

I'm almost afraid to ask but what are "bun fights?" :D

Dave

Lots of people pushing/aggressive in buffet lines and waiting for elevators etc... am hoping that Regent will equal less crowds and maybe more people with manners :)

Boo

Lots of people pushing/aggressive in buffet lines and waiting for elevators etc... am hoping that Regent will equal less crowds and maybe more people with manners :)

Boo

You won't be disappointed.

Which ship did you book? The standard staterooms are wonderful on all three ships, but are a bit varied in size.

H is minimum on all, and I think only on Voyager they are to be avoided. On Navigator a G won't have a balcony.

In general, the GTY means they can put you anywhere on the ship, including upgrading you.

Wendy,

Why would you avoid Cat H on Voyager? I'm booked in 671 for world cruise Jan 2010???

drastically from the Grand/Owners Suite on RCCL to the one you selected on Regent. We cruise a lot and have had like 20 cruises combined on RCCL/Celebrity, always with the Grand/Owners Suite--they are nice. On the other hand we are no longer cruising on either of those lines and are cruising quite a bit on Regent. We have been on Regent and they will treat you very well--that is a big plus--big plus.

My husband likes that glitz, but I like the personalized treatment that you get from a smaller ship.

I think picking Regent for Alaska is perfect. We did Alaska on Celebrity and although Celebrity treated us like Royalty, I did not like having to bring formal along with everything else you need in Alaska. Regent did not require that and I would have done Regent if I had checked in advance.

At any rate--Regent is a great line. I know you will enjoy.

Boo Boo -

We are on the same (7/22) cruise with an H Guarantee. I will be perfectly happy to end up with an H as I am sure you will be with your G or whatever upgrades are offered. There are really no bad cabins on Mariner.

See you on the 7/22 roll call?

Cost :)

Would have liked to have booked either a Penthouse or a Horizon Suite on the Mariner cruise, but can't justify the £1000+ pp difference in cost (between that and a Grade G) really. The Deluxe Suite looks very nice, just not as spacious as we are used too... It is working out quite an expensive vacation, plus we have just sold our house (renting at the moment and looking to buy another one), plus we are looking to start a family, plus husband has his own business (unaffected so far, but it is an uncertain economic climate at the moment...). So saving a couple of thousand is no bad thing... ;)

Have had really great Royal Caribbean cruises and love the Owners Suites (will miss that!), but much of the holiday does become about "crowd" avoidance (which we manage fairly well) and I do get shocked by the lack of manners of a noticeable percentage of the cruisers. We will probably miss some of the glitz and the scale and some of the activities, but I think that there is less time for this on a "intinerary intensive" cruise like Alaska anyway. A comfortable cabin, good food, great service and hopefully "fewer but better mannered" fellow guests will be perfect.

I do quite like the idea of a "relaxed" (less formal" Regent cruise too - sounds perfect for Alaska (where I expect to spend most of my time enjoying Alaska, rather than dressing up). "Country Club Casual" can be very civilised :)

I think that I will be sold on Regent... husband may take a bit more convincing.... but we will see :)

Boo

drastically from the Grand/Owners Suite on RCCL to the one you selected on Regent. We cruise a lot and have had like 20 cruises combined on RCCL/Celebrity, always with the Grand/Owners Suite--they are nice. On the other hand we are no longer cruising on either of those lines and are cruising quite a bit on Regent. We have been on Regent and they will treat you very well--that is a big plus--big plus.

My husband likes that glitz, but I like the personalized treatment that you get from a smaller ship.

I think picking Regent for Alaska is perfect. We did Alaska on Celebrity and although Celebrity treated us like Royalty, I did not like having to bring formal along with everything else you need in Alaska. Regent did not require that and I would have done Regent if I had checked in advance.

At any rate--Regent is a great line. I know you will enjoy.

Boo Boo -

We are on the same (7/22) cruise with an H Guarantee. I will be perfectly happy to end up with an H as I am sure you will be with your G or whatever upgrades are offered. There are really no bad cabins on Mariner.

See you on the 7/22 roll call?

MtnDriver, it wasn't you who took that last Grade H Guarantee from under my nose yesterday, was it? ;)

I am sure that the G will be great - just not as much room to escape husband's snoring and loud laptop typing (not at the same time)... Still, there is always the balcony :)

Will pop over and sign up on the roll call :)

Boo

MtnDriver, it wasn't you who took that last Grade H Guarantee from under my nose yesterday, was it? ;)

I am sure that the G will be great - just not as much room to escape husband's snoring and loud laptop typing (not at the same time)... Still, there is always the balcony :)

Nope...we grabbed that H Guarantee a couple months ago:D. We had been thinking about the Baltic this year, but decided to scale back a little and stay closer to home (we are on the US west cost).

I'll have to introduce you to my wife...you can console each other about husbands who won't get off their laptops (except when they are are snoring!:o)

Nope...we grabbed that H Guarantee a couple months ago:D. We had been thinking about the Baltic this year, but decided to scale back a little and stay closer to home (we are on the US west cost).

I'll have to introduce you to my wife...you can console each other about husbands who won't get off their laptops (except when they are are snoring!:o)

Ok, I'll believe you then... :grin:

Can't be too upset with my husband: he has his own software business back here, in the UK, so likes to keep in touch even when away. He is very good, but makes the most of our difference in sleep patterns (I like to sleep an hour or so longer than him): so he wakes up extra early and catches up with the office whilst I am still sleeping (with the 8 hour time difference from the UK, this is quite practical). BUT he does tend to bash the keyboard with some force and that can disturb my sleep (hence why we normally have a bigger cabin).

If our cabins are located near each other, I sure hope that the walls are thick - otherwise I could get stuck in the middle of "stereo snoring"... :o

Boo

Archived