Newbie in need of some answers...

dustpan

My husband and I are wanting to go on the Carnival Fascination cruise 7/25/09 to Bahamas and were wondering if it would be better to use a TA or book everything ourselves...If we do book ourselves, how much of a hassle is getting everything together? When do you think final payment would be due for this cruise? We would be driving from Ky to Jax so there isnt any need for flights, so what would you suggest would be the best route for us?

Thanks in advance

Check some of the online TA's as well as Carnival. Book with whoever gives you the best deal.

I think final payment is due 75 days before you sail. As this is within the next week, you will have to pay in full right after you book.

I book directly with Carnival. I've used "live" TAs, online agencies, booked online myself, but now I just call my PVP.

I do my research ahead of time so I know the current prices, the type of cabin and the location I want, and pretty much just call him and tell him what I want to book.

Some here will argue about how you can get better deals from TAs, but I like my arrangement. I also book directly because I have a credit card that earns points. At a certain level, I can redeem points for Carnival vouchers. To redeem them, though, I have to book directly with Carnival.

I encourage you to read some recent reviews of Fascination. I sailed her in December specifically because I could drive to Jax, but mainly because I wanted to return to Half Moon Cay (my 3rd time there). It is truly an island paradise!

You can do some reading about the ports on the various Ports of Call boards (if you're doing the HMC itinerary, it's under the Private Islands board).

Once you've booked, you can register at Carnival.com and see what shore excursions are available (you can book those online even if you book the cruise through a TA). And go to the Carnival Roll Call boards and see if there's one for that sailing. Your fellow Fascination cruisers can help you with questions and ideas.

Here's a link to my review...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891443&highlight=

which contains photos and a link to my Webshots folders that has pics and the Capers for that itinerary.

Hope you have a great time! I love the Fantasy-class ships. That was my 4th cruise on them. While they aren't the newest, biggest ships out there, I think they're great. Not too big, not too many people, big enough to have plenty of places to relax and plenty of things to do.

Part of the fun (for me) is PLANNING the trip!

Since you don't have to fly, it'll be much easier! DO have a copy of the deck plans in front of you when you book your cabin...you need to know what you're buying! Carnival will send you a brochure (if you don't have one) with the deck plans and alot of info...

DO get a guidebook on the ports you'll visit--it will put you a step ahead on knowing what there is to do at each port, how to get there, what it costs, food, drink, etc....that way, you'll know if you need to book an excursion or not....many things are easy to do on your own and won't cost a fortune!

Another question...I have looked on Carnivals website dozens of times and they have an option of you pick what "type" of room you would like as in "interior" and they pick the location...Is that not a good idea? What problems would I encounter if I went with this option?

We booked that cruise and ship ourselves. Carnival has their own agents who can help you. If you're flying to Miami tell them you need a bus transfer over to the port. We never made it to Nassau because a hurricane was there. I'd like to try that again some day - but not in September.

• Administrators
My husband and I are wanting to go on the Carnival Fascination cruise 7/25/09 to Bahamas and were wondering if it would be better to use a TA or book everything ourselves...If we do book ourselves, how much of a hassle is getting everything together? When do you think final payment would be due for this cruise? We would be driving from Ky to Jax so there isnt any need for flights, so what would you suggest would be the best route for us?

Thanks in advance

Based on these questions, and those in your other post about letting the cruiseline pick your cabin location (also known as a "guarantee" cabin) I strongly recommend you use a travel agent. When you are new to cruising and/or travel, a good one is invaluable in asking the questions to figure out what you want and what will suit your needs. Let someone else take some of the heat while you learn the ropes.

The last cruise I took I booked through a personal travel agent. When prices change and you want credit you have to have the agent call carnival to get it approved thus cutting into the agents comission so they are not real quick to do this for you. If you book through Carnival directly you can call them 24/7 and they are great. I just booked another cruise Directly through Carnival it was way easier then with the outside travel agent. and airfare is cheap right now so check all major airlines directly through their website. I always get the best rate through American. Hope this helps

Another question...I have looked on Carnivals website dozens of times and they have an option of you pick what "type" of room you would like as in "interior" and they pick the location...Is that not a good idea? What problems would I encounter if I went with this option?

I don't do it. I pick the cabin I want. I normally want midship, lower, and a deck sandwiched between two other passenger cabin decks.

You may get a lower rate by selecting a guarantee, and you could even end up in a higher category cabin, but that cabin could be under the galley, or directly under the pool deck with chair being dragged across the deck, or directly over a late-night lounge.

There's a reason they're priced lower. The cruiseline can put you wherever. Think about it.

You can study the deck plans. You can search about cabin categories on the "cabin selection tips" board and, again, read the recent Fascination reviews. Bear in mind that there are EIGHT Fantasy-class ships, all with the same layout (except for the ones that have been updated and have a few different cabins, which isn't the case with Fascination yet).

If you're sure that you'd be happy with any - emphasis on the "any" - cabin in that category or above, then that's a good thing to do. If you're not sure or if you know you wouldn't like, for instance, a cabin in the front of the ship, then you shouldn't do it.

My ONLY suggestion is, I "feel":)more comfortable booking through an agent, HERE in my area. This way, if something goes wrong, I can call them no matter/day or night, and someone will help or give me advise "at that time" what to do.

I also talk with my agent of whether to book the flight through their agency or on my own, though an airline's website. She always tells me which is the best way to go, normally on my own booking thorugh the airline website.

I would also suggest that (I know I was only going to make "ONE" suggestion, sorry about that.) if you'r booking a flight and also cruise, I would get insurance to cover it. I have "found" (hopefully this does not happen to you) in the 9 cruises we had, the insurance came in very handy.

brneyes

Archived