BOA "New" definition of "foreign transactions"

Haven't seen this posted...sorry if it was..

For those of you who use the BOA RCI card...if you haven't gotten this notice you may want to check about purchases made onboard ship. 3% charge for any purchases made "outside of the US".

My understanding was the foreign transaction fee was going up from 3% to 4%...which would only apply off ship, unless you are from somewhere other than the states...the items onboard are billed in u.s dollars so no need for conversion...

My understanding was the foreign transaction fee was going up from 3% to 4%...which would only apply off ship, unless you are from somewhere other than the states...the items onboard are billed in u.s dollars so no need for conversion...

the notice reads:

"We are expanding the definition of "Foreign Transactions" to include transactions in US dollars if they are made or processed outside of the US. "

That leads me to believe that transactions made outside the US would include those made onboard ships outside of US waters.

No one would use their RC Visa if they had to pay 3 or 4% to get 2% back - doesn't make sense.

If you have a card you might want to call and ask.

That will seriously impact those RCI purchases everyone makes to earn points.

I can understand those charges in foreign countries but "outside the US" says something totally different. Seems like onboard purchases will apply and be charged at an additional 3%.

Will it impact if you purchase a future cruise while onboard and put down a deposit using your RCI/BOA card?

Very interesting... and the bad thing is, if this is indeed what is happening I bet BoA won't be the only ones to make the change..all the other banks will be changing as well..

the notice reads:

"We are expanding the definition of "Foreign Transactions" to include transactions in US dollars if they are made or processed outside of the US. "

That leads me to believe that transactions made outside the US would include those made onboard ships outside of US waters.

Wrong. Charges come from Miami after you're home.

Your reading this into something it's not.

Just got off the phone with both BOA and RCI to confirm. Any charges made onboard of the ship are not billed until the ship is docked on US territory when you disembark at you final destination. Thus there are no foreign currency charges.

Now what I forgot to ask was, what if the ship final docking point was in a non-US country. Since I don't know I won't speculate.

Hope this helps.

I don't know of any cards other than Capital One cards that do not charge the 3% FX charge, including I think Amex. I only use Capital One when I travel overseas if I can. The increase from 3 to 4% is typical of BOA... deep doo doo... I finally closed out my account a couple of months ago. I used to have a great Visa card from Fleet bank, then BOA consumed them. Half the time I did online payments I would find out that the transaction happened twice. Not a big deal because I only had a one or two small recurring charges on the account, but still it was a constant irritant. I am officially free of BOA and am a happier person...:D

jc

Now what I forgot to ask was, what if the ship final docking point was in a non-US country. Since I don't know I won't speculate.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, now I'm wondering if this will affect my cruise out of San Juan...I know San Juan is part of the U.S., but could they still consider outside of the U.S.?

I wonder the same thing. I always use my card in PR and STT, not the other islands (I use cash). I was just in STT and PR in April and did not get charged any fees. If this is going to apply there as well, I will use cash on those islands also from now on.

I also got the notice in the mail yesterday. There was also another thread on this subject earlier in the month, so I was looking for mine in the mail.

All of my past cruises, including Alaska which disembarked in Canada, the seapass charges came out of Miami, RCI headquarters. I don't see why it would be any different for San Juan. But I intend to find out before sailing from there in August.

Mike

I'll use my RCI card to book cruises and pay for things in the States.

I pay cash when I settle my onboard account.

I do hope that they don't charge the 3% for onboard charges. BOA has to know that many charges are made onboard while a ship is out of US waters. Charging them in Miami makes sense so they appear to be US charges.

Guess these banks have to make more money from their customers. Guess the government bailouts weren't enough for them.:mad:

Charges on the ship always post in Miami, so I don't think that will be an issue.

i will miss it more in STT and PR, since I always used by card there. But will just use cash instead if they are going to charge me for using it there. I always take plenty of cash, use my card for the points, more than anything else.

Just got off the phone with both BOA and RCI to confirm. Any charges made onboard of the ship are not billed until the ship is docked on US territory when you disembark at you final destination. Thus there are no foreign currency charges.

Hope this helps.

I was on the Vision out of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic in March. SeaPass charges were posted in Miami and NOT considered foreign. Subject to change in the future of course.

Archived