What is the different btw Carnival and RCCL?

I haven't cruised on RCCL, so I can't objectively comment.

I'm PLATINUM on Carnival because I select on the principal, "If it ain't broke . . . why fix it ? " :confused:

If the price were right for a SOLO cruiser, I suppose I would give another cruise line a chance, but that day hasn't come yet. :)

I also think that the poster who commented that this debate is LEGENDARY is absolutely right. Both sides have strong advocates (read: cheerleaders) and it will never be settled with them. The paxs that have cruised both and can lend an objective analysis of both are the valuable opinions to consider (assuming, of course, the thread was started with that intent in mind).:rolleyes:

This is our first cruise with Carnival and we cruised with RCCL once. My friend doesn't like Carnival and when asked why...they said you will find out when you cruise in August?!

Is there a huge difference btw these two companies?

DW and I have cruised 14 times with Carnival and have 13 cruise credits with RCCL. I think you will find more similarities than differences between the 2 lines. It seems to us that Carnival tends to have a younger group of cruisers with less loyalty and less cruise experience. Many RCCL passengers look down on Carnival and believe that RCCL offers a superior product even though they may have had only 1 or 2 or even no CCL cruises. Carnival's older ships have larger cabins than Royal Caribbean's older ships. On both line's newer ships cabin sizes are comparable. I believe the buffet choices are greater on RCCL. A few years ago I would have said the food quality was better on RCCL. I no longer find that to be the case. With a few exceptions I think the crew members on both lines are friendly and try to be helpful most of the time. Anyone who cruises frquently will have stories about crew members who were great and very helpful and can also relate tales of total crew incompetence. Each cruise is what you make it. If you have any doubts about that read some cruise reviews where on the same cruise one reviewer absolutely loved it and another gave the cruise only 1 or 2 ribbons. The past guest perks on RCCL after 10 cruises (diamond level) are now better than CCL platinum perks. But that will change after 9/1/2009. I have no doubt you will enjoy your Carnival cruise.

I also think that the poster who commented that this debate is LEGENDARY is absolutely right. Both sides have strong advocates (read: cheerleaders) and it will never be settled with them. The paxs that have cruised both and can lend an objective analysis of both are the valuable opinions to consider (assuming, of course, the thread was started with that intent in mind).:rolleyes:

DW and I have cruised 14 times with Carnival and have 13 cruise credits with RCCL. I think you will find more similarities than differences between the 2 lines. It seems to us that Carnival tends to have a younger group of cruisers with less loyalty and less cruise experience. Many RCCL passengers look down on Carnival and believe that RCCL offers a superior product even though they may have had only 1 or 2 or even no CCL cruises. Carnival's older ships have larger cabins than Royal Caribbean's older ships. On both line's newer ships cabin sizes are comparable. I believe the buffet choices are greater on RCCL. A few years ago I would have said the food quality was better on RCCL. I no longer find that to be the case. With a few exceptions I think the crew members on both lines are friendly and try to be helpful most of the time. Anyone who cruises frquently will have stories about crew members who were great and very helpful and can also relate tales of total crew incompetence. Each cruise is what you make it. If you have any doubts about that read some cruise reviews where on the same cruise one reviewer absolutely loved it and another gave the cruise only 1 or 2 ribbons. The past guest perks on RCCL after 10 cruises (diamond level) are now better than CCL platinum perks. But that will change after 9/1/2009. I have no doubt you will enjoy your Carnival cruise.

Excellent post. (and I think generally reflects the views of those that have cruised BOTH lines). :D

Just exactly the kind of commentary I was referring to. :) These posts tend to be more genuine, uncluttered with "cheerleading", and more concerned with THE OP's QUESTION.

Where have you been? ;) The CCL verses RCCL debates are legendary. :D:p

I have sailed both and agree with most that they are more similar than different. The GREAT debate (in my opinion) is that Carnival cruisers like what they get and get irritated that others say that it is lower quality since its cheaper (which I don't agree with). And then you have the RCCL people who like what they get and who pay more and feel that it has to be better (which I don't agree with) and get tired of Carnival people saying that they are overpaying. You will enjoy either line that you go with. Balance out the cost difference, itinerary choices, departure ports etc and then decide.

In my opinion, food is about the same except Carnival has better pizza and RCL has better room service food.

Carnival bedding is much better.

One more quick thing, I never liked either line's pizza very much until our last TA on the Independence OTS. In addition to the Promenade Cafe they have another small sit down dining place at the other end of the promenade called Sorrentos. We had pizza there a number of times and because of high volume it was always hot and fresh and right out of the oven. Best pizza I ever ate on a cruise ship. Also, I sleep great on either line's bedding. Wife sometimes struggles, but she found the Independence's bedding to be the most comfortable of any cruise ship she has been on. Since that was our 7th RCCL ship that doesn't make of sense, but who knows

But the deal breaker is:

24 hours of free soft serve ice cream ONLY on Carnival :D

Unless you go on a newer RCCL ship and there is Sprinkles, free soft serve ice cream. :D But it's not 24 hours, it's 11am - 9pm. ;)

NavarreCruiser - you are right, Indy's pizza was delish. That was my hubby's late night snack every night.

The debate continues....:D:D:D

Excellent post. (and I think generally reflects the views of those that have cruised BOTH lines). :D

Just exactly the kind of commentary I was referring to. :) These posts tend to be more genuine, uncluttered with "cheerleading", and more concerned with THE OP's QUESTION.

Yes. Very well put. Each has positives and negatives.

I always have a good time on Carnival, so why pay more?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Disclaimer: I'm a CCL shareholder. Love the OBC.

I've only been on one cruise 2 years ago, RCC. We're about to find out in August what Carnival is all about on the Fascination. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. It took alot of reading on both RCC and Carnival threads. Good and bad on both forums. We will not need the specialty restaurants or ice skating, so that in itself accounts for the size difference. THe price was just something we couldn't ignore. I just know we will not reqret the choice.

I have been on Princess and RCL.

The Voyager of the seas is much more beautiful than the carribbean princess, much more to do on board much better food, the rooms are more properly setup. Princess for some reason wastes 1/4 of the room by cutting it off with a closet at the front. Ther voyagers cabinwas the exact same dimensions but had much more room due to this.

I chose Carnival for my next cruise due to the price, I was VERY CLOSE to booking a mini suite since that was still slightly cheaper than the RCL option. If i was able to change my room now without a hassle I would change it to a mni suite!

Hopefully Carnival doesnt turn into a bad choice, but I have no clue how it could, its a ship it has food etc etc....

• 2 weeks later...

I've only sailed rcl (1x), but here is the MAJOR difference:

Looking to book a cruise next year to Alaska; same date, same departure port; balcany -

Royal - $3,690.16

Carnival - $2,073.62

:eek:

HELLO CARNIVAL!!

I booked a RC cruise after five Carnival's. We took the Enchantment right after it was "stretched" and refurbished. I expected a 30% increase in WOW factor for my 30% increase in price. Didn't get it. I mean, the cruise was fine, but I have enjoyed all my Carnival cruises too. Now I'm back booked on Carnival again.

OK we find RCL to be a bit classier and I like the ships better.

CCL price is very hard to beat thats why we tried it for the 1st time.

Customer service with CCL I didnt care for at all.

CCL is more relaxing thats its very csaual for dinner....(I liked that part)

I did not think the food was better on RCL or CCL at all.

My 1st RCL blew me away on the Voyager of the Seas, my CCL cruise did not blow me away at all....

I've only sailed rcl (1x), but here is the MAJOR difference:

Looking to book a cruise next year to Alaska; same date, same departure port; balcany -

Royal - $3,690.16

Carnival - $2,073.62

:eek:

HELLO CARNIVAL!!

I agree with you 100%% thats why we tried CCL last week...

If $$ was the same for same cruise I would take RCL anyday of the week..

But if CCL was less expensive for the same room I would travel them..

Well, here is my $.02 on a long, drawn out thread....

I have recovered from my anti-carnival mentality. :o In 2008 we took our first Carnival cruise, albeit it was free (DH won a 7 night cruise from a sales contest at work). I LOVED it! We met wonderful people. The food was great, especially the pizza. Our head and assistant waiters in the MDR were the best! They even went as far as to get me the chocolate dessert from the Sun King restaurant (speciality restaurant). I must admit the ambiance and decor was very Las Vegas...I do prefer RCCL decor but it would not stop me from booking another Carnival cruise, and we have :)

For us, Celebrity remains our favorite line. In the future, we will also cruise RCCL and Carnival. At this point in our cruising life, it is about itinerary, then ship, then price.

Enough said....happy sailing :D

Just exactly the kind of commentary I was referring to. :)

lmao, but you do say that you have never cruised RCCL. The post you referred to says RCL cruisers look down on Carnival cruisers.

I find this works both ways, there are Carnival cheerleaders here too who dont see that they are just as critical of RCL and look down on RCL just as much.

Michelle, you are so right, the debate is ledgendary, and there are entrenched on both sides. If you post you think service is similar and that there are things each do better, someone will argue with you. I posted that and someone said, oh service is much better on Carnival, anything you post you prefer on RCL someone will disagree and if its nonrefutable, something like a perk, then they will say well we dont want it anyway, it would raise the price of my cruise. Nothing Carnival does is subject to criticism of some here who post here ..... and visa versa on the RCL theads.

Hi

I find this post very interesting to see the difference between RCCL and Carnival. I am seriously considering a cruise on Splendor or Elation this summer. I have cruised twice with RCCL. The first cruise was a short one down to Mexico. It was alot of fun. Food was great. The second one was about 2 years ago up to Alaska. This was not a good cruise. I had problems the minute I got on the ship. Luggage was lost, cabin was flooded. Cabin attendent was missing in action. I went to the dinning room the first day and did not like the food. They were dropping stuff left and right. It was not relaxing by any means. I stopped going to the dining room and ate in the buffet. When the dining contacted me two days later to find out why, I told them. They placed me in the speciality restaurant the rest of the week. They made a bad situation right and despite the problems that I had, I would still give them another try.

I am looking at taking a carnival cruise out of LA (Splendor) or San Diego (Elation). I like the thought of taking a 5 day cruise down to Cabo's and to try out carnival. I have no interest in seeing Matizlan or PV. I did look at the 7 day cruise. The price difference between the 7 day Splendor cruise and Mariner is almost a $400 difference. I can't justify paying that much. It is like $1100 for 1 person on Mariner and $808 on Splendor.

Has anyone been on Elation? After reading this post, I am seriously going to consider my next cruise on carnival. Just not sure what ship-Splendor 7 day cruise or Elation 5 day cruise.

What is a 1A cabin like? I believe it is single occupacy.

thanks

Jennifer

Archived