Juneau Whale Watching

lp343

Just wanted to add that the office is located right directly across from the pier. Very easy to find. PLUS you MUST try the king crab legs at Tracy's crab shack. When leaving the ship walk to the left and you will see a little line of little shops (shacks). When we were there the one closest to the road was the glacier soap shop (you must stop there also - wonderful smells). The crab place is at the end of the row. Fresh caught and D.E.L.I.O.U.S (I'm drooling just thinking about them.

We rented a car from Rent-A-Wreck. We go off the boat - did the whale watching. Arranged for the rental place to pick us up at the pier (called to let them know we were back). They picked us up and took us back to their office. Filled out the paperwork and hit the road. Not a new car but very dependable. We drove to Mendenhall and enjoyed some time there. Went to the brewhouse and hubbby sampled a few (I don't like beer so I was the designated driver). Went to a large department store (can't remember th ename but you can't miss it - HUGE, on the main drag). We picked up some odds and end that we needed. Might be a great place to pick up cheap souvenirs (sp). We didn't buy any as we picked up most of them at WalMart in Anchorage and mailed them back (not cheap but cheaper then baggage - took about 2 weeks to get). Re-fueled. Drove back to pier to eat lunch at Tracy's. Parked in the library parking lot. Shopped - then took the car back to the rental place and they deposited us back at the pier.

We planned to go out later and hit the tram up Mount Roberts but we were worn out so we stayed on the ship. This was a long stop when we went. They stayed until 11 - not sure if they still do. You can get a lot done in a short period of time.

Harv and Marv's!!! Wow! Up close and personal (6 passenger maximum boats), really knowledgeable guides (they grew up there!), and tons of humpbacks! We were in our glory! If you choose them, book the longest tour possible - worth every penny!

Harv and Marv:

Haarvendam.jpg

The other guys:

CrowdedBoat.jpg

Whichever way you go, the Whales are the Show!!

Have a Great Time. :D:D

actually, that big boat is allen marine..the one that does whale watching for the cruiseline. for capt larry and orca enterprises you are looking at this boat. viewing area above the cabin, in the aft...seats are nice bench seats, large aisles, very comfortable boat.

959673420_25WhaleswithCaptLarry.jpg.e2e56c3985bed8c549a88591d381bece.jpg

Went to a large department store (can't remember th ename but you can't miss it - HUGE, on the main drag). We picked up some odds and end that we needed. Might be a great place to pick up cheap souvenirs (sp). We didn't buy any as we picked up most of them at WalMart in Anchorage and mailed them back (not cheap but cheaper then baggage - took about 2 weeks to get.

This would have been Fred Meyer. There also is a Walmart in Juneau.

Another vote for Harv & Marv. We really enjoyed the ability to be able to interact with Capt. Jay as there were only 6 people onboard the boat. He's very personable and loves talking about his life growing up in Alaska. He and his family now live on a little island out in Auke Bay, and the day we went, his wife radioed him just as we were getting ready to head out on the boat to say that there were whales playing right in front of their house.

We went two years ago, and my DD will be going with them the first part of June. Very much a family-run business, and very friendly people.

I've never been with Orca Enterprises (they never returned my calls or emails when we were trying to organize our excursions a couple of years ago), but I know there are lots of people that like them too.

We went with Harv & Marv last summer in July - it was the highlight of our trip. This is the nicest bunch of people ever, and we saw lots of humpbacks and even some Orcas. Pete was our guide, and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. I agree with the poster who said to take the longest possible trip - our 3 hours flew by.

Side note to MSMONGER: The picture you posted is of my two friends and me on the front of Pete's boat. You must have been on another boat in July of last summer to have caught us! I was so surprised to recognize us in your picture. Small world, isn't it????

We will be using Rum Runner's next week during our May 16th cruise. I haven't gone yet, but have read great things about them. Julie

We went with Capt Chris of Rum Runner's in 2007 and will try to book him this July if we don't get aboard the Adventure Bound's all day trip to Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer Glacier.

I'm not sure about the 2 1/2 hour whale watch tour, but if you are going on the 4 hour whale watch / wildlife tour be sure to save plenty of digital memory space for the eagles at the end of your day. If you like Bald Eagles, like being very close to them and enjoy taking a picture or two you may need an extra chip per camera ;).

2325408820091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Also (please) be sure to post some of your pictures to "stoke our flires" for upcoming trips with Capt Chris and the other Whale watching tours.

We went with Harv and Marv's last year. Everything was perfect. They pick you up at the docks. This was the highlight of our trip for me. In fact, I had planned to go back this year but that isn't going to happen :(. Anyway I had booked a morning and afternoon trip with H and M's for this year, that pretty much tells you how great it was last year. I just can't say enough good things about them.

Check out their web site, Jay posts new pictures everyweek of the things they are seeing.

http://www.islandimagesalaska.com/alaskawildlifepictures.html

We're looking at going with Orca in June. Do you think we will have time to do the blue bus on our own to Mendenhall as well?

What is your time in Juneau?

Side note to MSMONGER: The picture you posted is of my two friends and me on the front of Pete's boat. You must have been on another boat in July of last summer to have caught us! I was so surprised to recognize us in your picture. Small world, isn't it????

That's a hoot!! :D We were on the Merlin with Jay and that couple with the teenage daughter. I'm guessing you might remember her. She was a bit sullen and brooding. However she perked up once on board. How could she not be excited about such an incredible adventure.

We went with Capt Chris of Rum Runner's in 2007 and will try to book him this July if we don't get aboard the Adventure Bound's all day trip to Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer Glacier.

I'm not sure about the 2 1/2 hour whale watch tour, but if you are going on the 4 hour whale watch / wildlife tour be sure to save plenty of digital memory space for the eagles at the end of your day. If you like Bald Eagles, like being very close to them and enjoy taking a picture or two you may need an extra chip per camera ;).

2325408820091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Also (please) be sure to post some of your pictures to "stoke our flires" for upcoming trips with Capt Chris and the other Whale watching tours.

Oh my husband is drooling now! We did book the 4 hr Captains Choice whale watching/wildlife tour. I'll add extra memory cards to the four million other things to do before we leave Wednesday. LOL What a beautiful pic!

Julie

What about "akwhalewatching"? Anyone gone with these folks before? We're booked with them and so far correspondence and customer service have been great but I don't know anyone that's actually gone on an excursion with them.

What about "akwhalewatching"? Anyone gone with these folks before? We're booked with them and so far correspondence and customer service have been great but I don't know anyone that's actually gone on an excursion with them.

I sure would like to know also, they have a 2 for 1 coupon in the Great Alaskan Tour Saver,we booked with them in Sept, they seem to be very nice and "inquiring minds want to know" if anyone out there has toured with them.

Linda

There are a few posters (I am included in this group) on Cruise Critic that constantly post about the company we prefer for a particular activity in an Alaskan port, we simply had a great time on our trips and want to tell others how to do the same because we were told by someone else, probably right here on CC. The same people (maybe 10 - 20 of us, sometimes more) post a remark every time a question is asked which in my opinion is a great thing as it takes a lot of time to answer these inquiries.

Fact is there is an average of 10,000 + people in Juneau every day or somewhere around 300,000 + a month average during the summer months just from cruise ships, also many people are visiting Juneau every day not on a cruise. Lots of really good whale watch tours in Juneau never receive a comment from the few that take the time to post here, but you can bet (many have money back guarantees) they all see the whales.

The day trip we are hoping to get on while in Juneau gets very few of their daily customers from any of the cruise ships. The hours are not good for the average port time on most ships that stop in Juneau. We have a pretty adventurous spirit and have decided if we miss the departure time of our ship in Juneau for an unseen reason, we will simply make or way to the next port Skagway ($100.00 pp - AND UP - air + hotel for the night and meals and taxis and butt chewing from the cruise ship :eek:..........) and resume our cruise there. We planned our cruise around the Adventure Bound tour and it is our top priority on the cruise portion of our trip.

You might look at the Juneau Chamber of Commerce (or any other ports COC sight) to get a better feel of the number of tours available that do not get touted on cruise Critic. There is a wealth of information here at CC but we are definitely not the only opinions to be found (trip advisers can be another good source of information along with many other sights). If we miss the departure time for the Adventure Bound we hope to catch the Rum Runner Whale watch / wildlife tour, and if we can't get on that one we WILL get on another as there are many to choose from and they WILL all see whales.

Ask specific questions of the tour operator you are dealing with as to what size boat, how many people will be on the tour, how long will you be on the water - not in a van on the way to or from the boat, how much actual time will you stay with the whale or whales spotted, can you get closer to an object (lighthouse, buoy marker, eagle, sea lion sea bird ....... ) or maybe request a different angle of said subject for a photo opportunity, what kind of guarantee they offer if you don't see a whale up close not just from a mile or more away? What kind of facilities do they have in case someone needs to use the restroom or gets sick. These are the things I would like to know from the captain before booking a tour.

Write down any other questions you may have and read them off to the company you are looking to book. A good company will be glad to answer your inquiries so you know what to expect for your time and money.

Keep in mind though, not every person will see the tour the same way or feel the same as you do about every situation :cool:. That's why I ask everyone who ask a question and receives an answer here, to post a short review of their tour so others get a broader view of personal experiences.

Another thing you may want to consider. I know when I was looking for a whale watching trip I looked at several different options. And then when I broke it down per hour - gasp - the one through the ship was actually the cheapest for the time it lasted. Now if you want a private tour that might be a different story. But I would recommend looking at the per hour rate compared to the over-all.

Archived