What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

If you don't play along you will fill uncomfortable as most people will be dressed up.

..........Just as I would feel uncomfortable wearing a long dress on OV now.....be different expect being eyed up!

Lots of ladies wear long dresses on OV (they are used to hide the electronic tagging devices) so you wouldn't be out of place.

If you ever had the misfortune to travel on OV you may need a cardigan or shawl, as your fellow passengers would probably gawp at the chip on your shoulder.

..........Just as I would feel uncomfortable wearing a long dress on OV now.....be different expect being eyed up!

Actually joking aside, i think some of you guys who havent been on OV would be pleasantly suprised with the standard of evening atire. The ladies love to dress up no matter what ship they are on.

You have missed the point. Ocean Village has never ever been anything else than casual. P&O is attempting to be both. Your scenario just wouldnt happen. P&O used to be 100% formal. It is slowly dumbing down on two ships. That is the issue here.

quote]

I haven't missed the point and I wasn't putting it up as a real scenario, hence the 'what if'. You're right P&O are trying to be all things to all people at the moment and it's causing all sorts of issues particularly in respect of dress codes.

What I was trying to put across was 'imagine how upset OV cruisers would be if the scenario was reversed' and then look at some of the posts made by P&Oers and I'm sure that some of you would have reacted in the same vein.

Just because some of us like the more traditional cruise experience it doesn't make us snobs etc. in the same way that OV cruisers aren't chavs etc.

Both sets of cruisers have a product that they enjoy and don't want it to change - P&O/Carnival are the bad guys in this not those who cruise with them and effort would be better directed at them rather than pointless bickering between ourselves.

Now with that said - what about those tattoos Matty?

Debbie:)

When OV winds up, cruisers who loved OV will have to make a decision what to do next, they can cruise RCI, which seems to be slightly less formal than p&o, there's NCL which looks quite modern and they don't do formal as much,

NCL look like the best of the rest to us, would still much prefer to pay in £'s though.

or you can come to P&O or Cunard but you know when you book what your getting, formal nights, so buy a dinner suit, or bring your lounge suit and join in.

Agree re Cunard but P&O are widening their customer base to fill all those cabins on the new build ships, they will do whats necessary to achieve this and inevitably that will result in a more casual image.

Can't see the problem, the choice is there for all. If you don't play along you will fill uncomfortable as most people will be dressed up.

..........Just as I would feel uncomfortable wearing a long dress on OV now

You are so wrong there, lots of long dresses on show, including ones worn by my lovely Heather. Diffrence is that nobody is forcing anyone to wear a 'uniform' and others dont judge. Informal does not have to equal scruffy, I dont much like football shirts etc and wont wear them but who am I to dictate to others what they wear?

.....be different expect being eyed up!

Nothing wrong with being diffrent, beats hiding behind the uniform of a suit.

Just because some of us like the more traditional cruise experience it doesn't make us snobs etc. in the same way that OV cruisers aren't chavs etc.

How dare..of course we are innit!!!:rolleyes:

It was only a henna one..but it was done to rebel against Douglas Wards comment in the Berlitz guide. Now theres a snob!!!!

I haven't missed the point and I wasn't putting it up as a real scenario, hence the 'what if'. You're right P&O are trying to be all things to all people at the moment and it's causing all sorts of issues particularly in respect of dress codes.

There is agreement here, pity the officials at P&O cannot see it.

What I was trying to put across was 'imagine how upset OV cruisers would be if the scenario was reversed' and then look at some of the posts made by P&Oers and I'm sure that some of you would have reacted in the same vein.

Of course you would be upset but the fact is that they are closing down OV despite being profitable and are pushing P&O in particular on us. I actually think P&O could satisfy all tastes by offering an informal experience on at least one of their new ships keeping the rest fully formal, maybe offer a few med fly cruisers for us northeners and everyone could be happy.

I am sure both stereotypes exist on both cruiselines, a chav in a suit is still a chav, same applies to snobs in casual clothes. Not against you lot having formal style cruises at all but us OV cruisers would like something similar to what we presently enjoy as well.

What we do object to is being told that we should just buy a penguin suit and comply as that is the image that has made cruises unattractive to us in the past

Both sets of cruisers have a product that they enjoy and don't want it to change unfortunately OV is going so change is being forced on us - P&O/Carnival are the bad guys fully agree here in this not those who cruise with them and effort would be better directed at them rather than pointless bickering between ourselves.

Nothing wrong with a bit of lively debate and as I believe these forums are monitored by the cruiselines maybe someone might just listen?

I think we surpprisingly agree on quite a lot here

David.

Not sure how well moderated these boards are but if Walt or anyone else from the site is still reading can I ask they do a feature on cruisecritic.co.uk.

I would love them to interview/request answers from Carnival UK, P&O and OV on the future for British cruisers.

What is the plan for Oceana and Ventura and formal nights?

What options do they have for the 10s of thousands of ex-OV passengers who do not want to dress up but want to stay with a British brand?

Are they planning to avoid the trek from Southampton and position a ship in the Med?

etc..

We want answers from CEO's like Dingle please not press releases etc..

Thanks.

Not sure how well moderated these boards are but if Walt or anyone else from the site is still reading can I ask they do a feature on cruisecritic.co.uk.

I would love them to interview/request answers from Carnival UK, P&O and OV on the future for British cruisers.

What options do they have for the 10s of thousands of ex-OV passengers who do not want to dress up but want to stay with a British brand?

Are they planning to avoid the trek from Southampton and position a ship in the Med?

etc..

Thanks.

What a good idea.

etc..

Thanks.

Yes i'd like to know whay they are investing heavilly in the German casual market yet destroying the British one!

etc..

Thanks.

Suggest you and others e-mail the cc editor at: editor@cruisecritic.co.uk <editor@cruisecritic.co.uk>

I have just done so with a link to this thread and a suggestion that it would make an interesting feature.

I think perhaps what will happen is that Oceana and Ventura will be transformed into casual cruise ships from 2010/11 to capture the OV cruisers....After all, Carnival Plc who own both OV and PandO will not want to loose these customers to rival cruiselines like RCI or NCL.

Already in readiness for this, these two ships have dropped the semi formal nights - when a suit was worn or jacket and tie, so now its just tux on two nights and casual on five per week, also freedom dining has been introduced - but only on these two ships...get my drift, it seems strange they have done this to just these 2 ships, and now they are sending letters to OV cruisers enticing them to the very same 2 ships:rolleyes:

So, I forsee from 2010/11 the marketing will be:

Artemis and Arcadia - Adult only formal ships

Oriana, Aurora and Azura - Formal family ships

Ventura and Oceana - Casual cruising ships- (for people who do cruises;))

I think perhaps what will happen is that Oceana and Ventura will be transformed into casual cruise ships from 2010/11 to capture the OV cruisers....After all, Carnival Plc who own both OV and PandO will not want to loose these customers to rival cruiselines like RCI or NCL.

Already in readiness for this, these two ships have dropped the semi formal nights - when a suit was worn or jacket and tie, so now its just tux on two nights and casual on five per week, also freedom dining has been introduced - but only on these two ships...get my drift, it seems strange they have done this to just these 2 ships, and now they are sending letters to OV cruisers enticing them to the very same 2 ships:rolleyes:

Spot on Sue!

Which is exactly what will happen if they dont do something quick, we are looking at 2010 cruises and so far it is sadly a big no to P&O.

Not quite enough to entice us, they need to offer alternatives to Southampton starts.

A little too late as many of us will have jumped ships by then and may possibly never give P&O a try

Lets see, we hope you are correct and P&O can offer us a viable alternative to OV.

Does Noddy wear a tuxedo on formal night? and as Big Ears is his "partner", does he have to wear a long dress to be served in the bar or the restaurant or can he still dress in his sailor suit and not be mistaken for crew?

Do not be so silly, they are far to young:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Personally I don't think they will ditch formal nights on Oceana and Ventura. If they do I wouldn't want to go on them, despite loving the ships. We will see!

I do have great sympathy for Ocean Village passengers as there is no real British alternative once it goes. The only one I can think of is Island Escape (now under Thomson) where there is no formal dress code at all.

I personally want to dress up a bit but understand it's not for everyone.

Eddie

Archived