What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

Aren't they just the sort of people you'd HATE to share your dinner table with - been on a couple of cruises and they think they know everything and are therefore entitled to lecture everybody else :p

Thats why freedom dining was introduced lol!!!!:rolleyes:

Too much rubbish goes on in this particular forum. It is such an unfriendly place.

:

I personally think it has become a lot more unfriendly since some of the OV posters came - it's hardly friendly calling everyone already here dinosaurs & luddites, etc, because we like our ships the way they are & you disagree. (BTW personal insults are against board rules and some of you are getting extremely close to doing just that)

I asked one of the Cunard regulars to stop coming here & stirring things as it was muddying the waters & I felt he was alienating the OV posters - he has (for the time being) gone, but I am beginning to wish I'd left well alone.

& BTW I'd happily give Ventura & Oceana to the OV brand.

The crux of the matter is OV customers want to cruise, from the med, informally once the ships disappear. P&O have 6? ships, which all have the same facilities and formalities. We would like an informal cruise atmosphere free from set dining and set dress code, as OV currently provides.

If one or two ships were "rebranded" by P&O as totally informal ships, which use £'s and cater for those who don't want to eat at set times or dress in a tux, then we would be happy.

It's the attitude of some of the posters who defend the traditional P&O way at the exclusion of all other opinions and the crass way that OV customers are referred to as tattoo'ed, football shirt wearing, binge drinking, fat slobs with rowdy and rude kids that gets the reaction that it does.

The answer is clear, lose 20% of the fleet to casual cruising to retain the P&O brand, retain the atmosphere and the "sophistication" of the rest of the fleet and and give the British public a clear choice!

Rosebaskets is spot on.

I personally don't want an inferior product than P and O seems to offer. I just want to have fewer days at sea and an informal dining option (happy to dine formally some of the time). Not necessarily in the med either as I wanted to visit the Fjords and Baltic, which is why I have been considering P and O.

The clientele on OV ships is, in my experience, no lesser than other lines I've experienced (although before someone points it out, I've only been on 3 different cruise lines). People make an effort to change and dress mostly smart casual or even more formally in the restaurants in the evenings. I don't believe OV customers pay any less than P and O and I certainly don't see it as an inferior product, just different. To be consistently called chavs is, I feel, insulting and without justification and what on earth does OV have in common with Butlins (not that I've ever been to Butlins, but then I suspect others haven't either)

I appreciate fine dining and love the Bistro on OV but I don't want to be tied to being in the same place at the same time every evening. Semi formal wear is fine for me - I can do very formal but it would not be my choice, and after all choice is what this is all about.

I honestly feel that and clientele of OV and P and O are not so far apart as some would care to believe and that if P and O were to add in informal dining alternative and amend the dress code to apply to the main restaurants only then couldn't we all live together in peace???? :)

It's a deal as long as you lot keep the asda penguin suit wearing chavs:D

Exactly the kind of comment that makes me nervous about the type of clientele that may be coming our way.

I agree with Karen, you can have Ventura & Oceana (even though I love Oceana!)

Now please go and frequent your own boards if all you want to achieve is stirring up trouble.

This is a friiendly board but we don't take kindly to childish comments such as those from David and Hether.

Gerry

:D

The crux of the matter is OV customers want to cruise, from the med, informally once the ships disappear. P&O have 6? ships, which all have the same facilities and formalities. We would like an informal cruise atmosphere free from set dining and set dress code, as OV currently provides.

If one or two ships were "rebranded" by P&O as totally informal ships, which use £'s and cater for those who don't want to eat at set times or dress in a tux, then we would be happy.

It's the attitude of some of the posters who defend the traditional P&O way at the exclusion of all other opinions and the crass way that OV customers are referred to as tattoo'ed, football shirt wearing, binge drinking, fat slobs with rowdy and rude kids that gets the reaction that it does.

The answer is clear, lose 20% of the fleet to casual cruising to retain the P&O brand, retain the atmosphere and the "sophistication" of the rest of the fleet and and give the British public a clear choice!

Rosebaskets, I agree with all you say above and I cannot understand why some P&O cruisers feel the need to label OV cruisers as something derogatory. I feel that the two sets of cruisers are looking for a different experience, not different classes.

God knows why this cannot be discussed without immature little snipes. I am sure if were all down the pub (or Exchange on Ventura) we would all be having a beer together and getting on just fine.

Cheers

Gerry

Exactly the kind of comment that makes me nervous about the type of clientele that may be coming our way.

Now please go and frequent your own boards if all you want to achieve is stirring up trouble.

This is a friiendly board but we don't take kindly to childish comments such as those from David and Hether.

Gerry

Stop taking life so seriously, the comment was said jokingly:)

Can't understand why you have booked a cruise with P&O, the brochure clearly states there will be some formal evenings. There are plenty of other cruise lines that offer more casual nights for people who don't want to dress up.

While surfing through this board I ran across photos of one couples formal night dress.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=12597106&postcount=225

Gerry

Sorry Gerry, this is not a friendly board at all. Far from it! And after the hard time you gave Stopgo about being "moderator" and as ive said before may i suggest that the P&O regulars stop stirring before the OV pax do?

However i will say one thing. I expected the P&O community forum to say much worse things about OV pax..but i was pleasantly suprised.

I asked one of the Cunard regulars to stop coming here & stirring things as it was muddying the waters & I felt he was alienating the OV posters - he has (for the time being) gone, but I am beginning to wish I'd left well alone.

Are you in charge round here?

Are you in charge round here?

No, I just don't like bullies & people being unpleasant to each other just for the sake of it - most of the time I keep quiet - as I think you know - sometimes I comment - its a habit I acquired while having the misfortune to deal with some very childish people elsewhere

Sorry Gerry, this is not a friendly board at all. Far from it! And after the hard time you gave Stopgo about being "moderator" and as ive said before may i suggest that the P&O regulars stop stirring before the OV pax do?

However i will say one thing. I expected the P&O community forum to say much worse things about OV pax..but i was pleasantly suprised.

Stropgo gets a hard deal from a few of us as she is just here to cause trouble like a few people that have come here of late.

Most of us here are friendly individuals that welcome discussion whether you are an old hand or a newbie.

Like most forums, we do not like troublemakers in our midst and may be seen as unfriendly as a result when they appear.

This is of course my perception, others may well have a different view which of course they are entitled to.

Cheers

Gerry

My family was on the Ventura in March, and we didnt dress up once we ate in The Bay Tree resturant every night except when we ate in The White Room. I will say my Husband was reminded once that it was formal night, which of course he knew it was. We didnt feel uncomfortable in the least. We are not "Chavs" we just didnt want to dress up, but do like a nice meal and to be served. Though I would like to say one of my Sons is in a wheelchair and he was in Havanas one night when an older peron tried to pick a fight with his Brother, fortunatly my Son wheeled his Brother out before any punches was thrown, but we saw that person dressed for Dinner another night. My point being you cant judge a book by its cover, he behaved like a thug. You have paid for you cruise enjoy it.

My family was on the Ventura in March, and we didnt dress up once we ate in The Bay Tree resturant every night except when we ate in The White Room. I will say my Husband was reminded once that it was formal night, which of course he knew it was. We didnt feel uncomfortable in the least. We are not "Chavs" we just didnt want to dress up, but do like a nice meal and to be served. Though I would like to say one of my Sons is in a wheelchair and he was in Havanas one night when an older peron tried to pick a fight with his Brother, fortunatly my Son wheeled his Brother out before any punches was thrown, but we saw that person dressed for Dinner another night. My point being you cant judge a book by its cover, he behaved like a thug. You have paid for you cruise enjoy it.

Just to clarify.

You didn't dress up for formal night.

You were reminded of the dress code at the time.

You felt okay with this.

Am I right?

My family was on the Ventura in March, and we didnt dress up once we ate in The Bay Tree resturant every night except when we ate in The White Room. I will say my Husband was reminded once that it was formal night, which of course he knew it was. We didnt feel uncomfortable in the least.

How can you not adhere to the dress code on purpose?

Why on earth would you do that?

Just curious!

How can you not adhere to the dress code on purpose? Why on earth would you do that?

I can't answer for c legs, but I have done it myself in the past. Not feeling particularly well or lively but didn't want to stay in the cabin. Didn't put on full evening fig, but dressed smartly/cleanly/modestly. Didn't impose myself on the formal dining room, but ate in the buffet. Didn't show off in the ballroom, but quietly went to the cinema. Just doing my own thing really.

The point about dressing for dinner is NOT to judge people who don't, it is just the rules & only those who are totally ignorant & disrespectful go on a cruise knowing the dress code & totally ignore it. These people will never understand & there is no point in trying to explain..why go?

The point about dressing for dinner is NOT to judge people who don't, it is just the rules & only those who are totally ignorant & disrespectful go on a cruise knowing the dress code & totally ignore it. These people will never understand & there is no point in trying to explain..why go?

Do you dress formally for dinner at home? No? In which case you are going on a cruise just to wear fancy dress ie dress other than that to which one is accustomed.

I've read the snide remarks about dressing up for such things as the 70's nights - "Oh no, nobody really bothers with that". So obviously you pick and choose those nights on which you want to wear fancy dress - as do others. Their nights just don't seem to co-incide with yours. Are you not being equally ignorant and disrespectful?

Do you dress formally for dinner at home? No? In which case you are going on a cruise just to wear fancy dress ie dress other than that to which one is accustomed.

No, I do not dress formally for dinner at home but for me the whole point of a holiday, and particularly a cruise, is to do different things from everyday life. This includes dressing in fabulous evening wear!

How can you not adhere to the dress code on purpose?

Why on earth would you do that?

Just curious!

Because they have their own mind. The dress code for each night is a suggestion, which most people adhere to however sompeople may not want to. However i personally adhere tot he nights dress code but i wonder if i will in the Caribbean....i suspect i will which kind of goes against some of the stuff ive posted:rolleyes: Funny old world.

What a pompous lot, It is not madatory to wear formal dress on formal nights if you are not using the Formal Dining rooms.

It is this kind of over the top reaction that loses PO many potential passengers.

brillo

I prefer casual cruising but if I were to travel with a line with a formal dress code then I would dress formally - to me it isn't a big deal. I would simply prefer to not have rules and to choose to dress as I please however I do understand that people like the traditional ambience and I would not be the one to want to spoil that for anybody.

If you join a ship that has rules for dining then you should be prepared to comply with them.

What I don't like are the snide remarks on this forum when people enquire if there is an alternative. Also the stereotypical assumptions about people who choose to go on casual cruises, some of which are very judgemental and also very wide of the mark.

If some casual cruisers 'don't get' traditional cruising then certainly the reverse is also true.

I have found some of the P and O posters very unwelcoming on this board.

Archived